Special Stage Forums banner

Tumbleweed Express

30K views 159 replies 30 participants last post by  bmxpunk 
#1 · (Edited)
#82 ·
The bigger problem is going to be Friday. If it's in the 60s it will create some serious mud.
Weather.com was saying more snow later today, then more Wednesday, then possible showers on Friday with warmer weather, then cold and more snow for Saturday.
This is going to be fun! Everyone make sure to get like $20 in quarters for the car wash on Sunday. Tough choice for tires, though I think most of us only have one or two options. I think I'm the only one I've seen with dedicated mud tires though. :)

#88 ·
It won't be a snow tire event. Studs can be allowed in RA event but I think the organizer has to request an exemption and it has to be in the supps.
I think it's going to be mud regardless. The first few cars will clear any snow that's on the ground pretty quick, at least that's my hope. Going to wait until I hear on Friday what it looks like out there. Might have to get some snow tires if I'm wrong...

Hey Scott, do you have the link to that Michelin site? Sounds pretty cool!

#89 ·
The wind is doing what it's supposed to.
http://www.cotrip.org/atis/web.CCTVMarshal?CCTV=60136&mode=html

Man, I can't decide what would be better. The run off from the melting snow would create mud so cold weather keeping the snow from melting too much would be good. But maybe if it warms enough it'll dry out the surface from the predicted rain, which hopefully doesn't happen mid-week. What it does on Saturday doesn't matter a whole lot I don't think. Unless it snows really hard and enough to create any kind of a snow base, it'll not have any effect on tire choice.

#91 ·
i would be concerned with the corners that got reworked over by the loader. some of them were really soft material and without the time to pack down and get firm again they are going to probably be super soft.

we also tried to grade it so that water wouldn't accumulate so bad, hopefully it works out well.

#95 ·
Are we going to get CRC decals for our cars on race day? Just wondering cause my car is pretty lame with nothing to represent on it.

I can't wait for this event!!! Althought I am not looking forward to pulling my car over the passes in snow and ice with no trailer brakes!

#100 ·
Also remember there are three 300 hp AWD cars clearing all the snow for us.
Speaking of which, I wonder how the organizers are going to determine start order.
It's also supposed to be near 60 on Friday, likely taking care of most remaining snow, then Saturday isn't a high chance of snow. I still think mud/gravel tires are the winners. I've seen way too many snow tires debead at CORE personally to ever consider running them unless we had a lot of snow.

#102 ·
I know the chances of having a snow rally are slim, but we should be prepared for running a snow event just in case. If you've ever driven on rally tires in snow, you'd know taking a cautious lap on snow tires will yield a better lap time than pushing hard on gravels. If the dirt peeks thru after the first run through, there's always the option to move back to gravels/muds during service.

Who do we need to ask for an official word on use of studded tires? Brian/Steve/Rally America?

Thanks!

Dave

#114 ·
Amazingly 1985 design has a whopping nut with nylock. One side is righty tight, other is lefty tighty. Torque spec is 230 ft lbs! Anyhow, I think it's just one of the regular service check items on my car now.
But yeah, throw the seat back in and the rally stuff into the back and it's ready to go! Decided against snow tires. No money to buy them anyhow and I'll just hope for lots of clearing by the first couple of guys. :)

#116 ·
the course.

started at the rally sprint course and it has lots of spots of standing water. some quite deep that if i had a rally car i wouldn't even try to get through. very muddy also. the normal sprint pit area was so muddy i got the truck partially stuck in 2wd. mitch drove it and said it was a wreck.

mitch's car was covered. completely. the tires were totally packed full of mud.

we then took the truck to the start of stage one. some parts where there was existing road are fine. the wind had dried them well. other spots were soft looking (i was driving and we tried to stay off of those areas) and some had slight small puddles of water. i have no idea how well the dirt that was used to fill in one of the gulch areas will hold out. looked retardely soft (we'll check again on friday).

at about the mx jump we decided to not follow the course and went straight. that's where it all went wrong. we had determined that the 4wd wasn't working and we were stuck with 2wd. also there was a large drift between the fence line and the jump. and mitch was driving. stuck with the truck all caddy-wompus on a dirt berm.

2 hrs later and lots and lots of mud, shoveling, and reving we were free. didn't look at the rest of the course.

i think it's all dependent upon weather at this point but i do not think that snow tires will work at all.

just my opinion and we'll have a clearer picture on friday!

#120 ·
i don't know if you read the part that said "we stayed off the spots that looked soft" and not only that but there were tracks on the course from where someone else had driven it.

give me a little credit please.

and one final point, if it can't take one vehicle passing over it at slow speeds after a decent amount of drying time how's it going to handle 4+ safety cars, 2 recce passes, 2 transits, and 4 stages?

#119 ·
I don't think it will be too bad. It's supposed to be warm today and tomorrow. I'm sure there will be some areas of standing water like CORE always has, but I'm guessing most of the course will dry out, and most of the new course doesn't have the weird holes like on the Sprint course that collect water.
Watched Mitch's video from yesterday. Didn't look too bad to me.

#124 · (Edited)
Went out there yesterday.

My Report:
All the new stuff looks rather dry. On the back side, the track is still a little wet. I assume there will be water crossings Saturday. One in the D track and a couple out back around Marks Gultch. Oh, and the entire Rally Sprint track is a water crossing. I don't suspect there will be a lot of snow building on the track but I'm almost 99% confident that there will be drifts here and there. I bet it's going to be real greasey in a lot of spots but also dry in other. Dry enough to get over 100 mph then ending in a slick spot right before a hairpin or something. CUT TIRES THIS WEEK! I cut mine today and they look rather nice. I don't think snow tires will be necessary but I'm bringing some just incase. Those of you running 2WD cars better cut some tires as well and take good notes during Recce. You'll have to keep your speed up in order to make it through some of the snow (which by the way doesn't exist at the moment but will most likely by Saturday) and up some of the more greasy hills. It will be very deceptive and not very much room for error especially if it's wet. For those of you who are new and this is your first rally, get use to it... it's rally.

So cut some tires. I'm guessing it's going to be a mud fest. Bring extra tarps and tents because there will not be any sort of heated shelter out there. The pit area is dry but there is a thin layer of sticky mud in places. Believe it or not, low points are more dry than high points. I don't know why this is but I imagine the soil has the consistancy of Flan cake. Carl will be cookin out.

#125 ·
You guys might want to think about buying the workers a bunch of hookers and blow for the weekend if this storm hits like it's supposed to. Otherwise, stay in close contact with all of them to make sure they actually show up if it does hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.