Special Stage Forums banner

Tumbleweed Express

30K views 159 replies 30 participants last post by  bmxpunk 
#1 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Sweet! Nice work guys.

Just out of curiousity, how rough/smooth are the extra mileage? Do we need to raise our cars up for trophy truck style jumps, or is the jump on the orig. sprint course about the biggest we'll need to be ready for?

How are we doing notes/recce? Do competitors need to get out there before the event to make notes, or is that prohibited?

Thanks!

Dave

#6 ·
the jump on the sprint course will hopefully be the biggest one in terms of speed. there are i think 2 other yumps that have cautions. in terms of smooth, we graded about half of it last sunday and are going out this sunday again to work on it some more. the parts we graded are pretty smooth in terms of a dirt road. there are no rocks, so that's a good thing, but it will still be a bit bumpy. i doubt it will be as smooth as the rally practice course, but we'll try. we do incorporate a few of carl's road sections that are really smooth and have a light covering of sand.

i'ld run my setup the way i would set it up for cog and be happy with it.

come out sunday and help with the course! ;) (if i recall correct you'll be in chicago)

notes/recce. 1 pass each way in the morning before the event. first transit is 1 full loop back through the course. then after service there is another transit backwards through the loop again. dunno if i was supposed to tell everyone that, but that's what was told to me.

#8 ·
I think the general opinion is that competitors are allowed to drive on any of the normal tracks (ie. rally sprint, the offroad gokart, the buggy track, etc.) but that the full 8 mile track should not be driven/practiced on. This is mostly a safety issue as the long course travels over multiple courses, roads that are used to drive around the facility, and the direction of any other vehicles cannot be guaranteed.

I also wish I could afford to do this event. This will be a sentiment I'll get to experience plenty in the coming months, but okay.

#9 ·
SUPPLEMENTAL REGULATIONS VERSION 1.00

SUPPLEMENTAL REGULATIONS VERSION 1.00 MARCH 17TH, 2009, 3:22PM.

**Schedule and Supplemental Regulations are subject to change at any time leading up to the event. Any changes will be posted, it is the competitor’s responsibility to note such changes. All final edits and changes will be made available at the event upon check in.

Tumbleweed Express

1. Competitors may test at CORE leading up to the event.

2. CRC competitors are expected to compete or work the event.

3. Rally America minimum auto insurance coverage for rally car and service vehicle are NOT necessary for this event. Additionally, rally cars are not required to be road licensed for this event.
3.a. Any time you or your service personnel are not on the CORE property, you are not considered as a part of the event.
3.b. Rally cars must stay on CORE property from sign in until the end of the event. If a rally car leaves CORE during the event, it will be considered a DNF and will not be invited to fun run remaining stages.

4. Start order will be sorted at drivers meeting.

5. Definitions of course cutting, off course adventures, and cheating the track-
5.a. Course cutting- More than 2 tires, but less than 4 tires off the track resulting in an advantage of time.
5.b. Off course adventure- Missing a turn, saving car from an off, an off or otherwise leaving track with two or more tires without an advantage in time.
5.c. Cheating the track- Purposefully missing sections of track resulting in an advantage in time, shortcutting corners with all 4 tires off track.

6. Time penalties-
6.a. 10 seconds per 1 min early.
6.b. 20 seconds per 1 min late.
6.c. Maximum permitted lateness at all ATC points is 7 min.
Competitors that miss check in time + 7 min will DNF the event and will not be able to start that stage, but can fun run the remaining stages.
6.d. Time penalties for short coursing as defined in section 5-
Course cutting (5.a.)- 5 seconds per advantage in time.
Off course adventure (5.b.) -no penalty.
Cheating the track (5.c.)-mininum 4 times perceived time advantage to exclusion from the event.

7. Recce and transit rules of the road-
SPEED limit 30 mph, single direction of travel only, passing only allowed in a safe manner.
Both passer and person being passed must make obvious recognition of each other before pass is to be made. Only ONE pass recce allowed, please check schedule for times and direction.
You will be transiting the entire course before stage 1 and stage 3 to finish any notes you may need. Recce may be done in competition car.
7.a. Recce is privilege not a right. If you intend on doing recce, please show up early as that we have a schedule for direction and time window to start.

8. Trohies will be awarded to first place only in CRC classes, ie; open, open light, group 2, group 5.

9. Classes- You may enter any Rally America class that your car fits into.

10. Championship points-
10.a. Rally America points will be awarded for RA southwest and central region in which class you have entered.
10.b. CRC points will be awarded to the four CRC classes. You must be a CRC member before first car out to obtain CRC points.
CRC door backers and CRC sponsor stickers must also be ran to obtain CRC points for the event.

11. Rain- A rain plan will be in place. Mileage may differ, and track may change, to ensure that the track will be safe and passable.

12. Road surface and mileage- There are three major different surfaces for the track- grass track, gravel, minimally improved graded dirt.
Approximate stage miles 33.2, approximate transit miles 17.2.

13. Schedule- Note we will finish before dark...

TUBMLEWEED EXPRESS
Saturday April 4th, 2009

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

7:00 a.m. - Gates open, sign in and registration begins.
*All persons entering park must sign in before attending event.

7:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. - sign in and registration in designated pit area.

7:00 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. - volunteer check in and work assignments.

7:30 a.m. - 7:50 a.m. - recce direction A single pass. start open

8:15 a.m. - 8:35 a.m. - recce direction B single pass. start open

8:30 a.m. - 9:45 a.m. - safety technical inspection.

9:30 a.m. - volunteer's meeting.

10:00 a.m. - driver's meeting.

10:30 a.m. - 000 car starts and volunteers move to position for direction A stage 1.

10:30 a.m. - MTC1 transit direction A. 00 car starts after last car starts transit

10:55 a.m. - zero car starts direction A.

11:30 a.m. - ATC1 direction A, stage 1.
sweep starts one minute after last car, direction A.

12:35 p.m. - ATC2 direction A, stage 2.
after sweep passes, volunteers may return to pit area for lunch break.

1:05 p.m. - MTC2 service IN. 000 car starts direction B

2:05 p.m. - MTC3 service OUT. Transit 2, direction B.
volunteers return to assigned posts. 00 car starts after last rally car

2:35 p.m. - zero car starts direction B.

3:10 p.m. - ATC3 direction B, stage 3.
sweep and zero car start one minute after last car starts.

4:15 p.m. - ATC4 direction B, stage 4.
after final sweep, volunteers may return to pit area.

4:45 p.m. - MTC4

5:05 p.m. - ETA last car in.

5:15 p.m. - Provisional results posted.

6:00 p.m. - Official results posted. Awards, end rally.

MTC = main time control
ATC = arrival time control
FTC = finish time control

#13 ·
#15 ·
Are fans charged to attend Tumbleweed Express?
What about service crew? Also, after logging in to the RA site and going to the License page, I noticed near the bottom under 'Other License Types/Fees' there's a Crew (and Worker) license/fee. Do service crew members need to be registered and paid up with RA (didn't see anything in the rules about this), or is it just a matter of registering them at individual events and getting wristbands?

#19 ·
You are not required to have any RA license to help work an event or crew for someone. It was originally implemented to give people an opportunity to feel like they are apart of the RA organization (a member) along with the other perks (like what Kevin mentioned, shirt, stickers, hard card, database, etc...)

#21 ·
It looks truly awesome! Road along with Aaron McConnell (who we all owe a huge thank you to!) today in the loader and filled in and smoothed out some of the gnarlier stuff. It's going to be a fun and challenging road! Did a lap in the Starlet and I wish I could be doing it in the Merkur with proper rally suspension and more than 59 hp. :)

#23 ·
I laid in bed last night thinking about how rad this event is going to be and how I should just enter it. Looked at my bank account this morning though and looks like I'll be sticking to my plan of working it. :) But if you have a rally car and can afford it, it'll be well worth it!

#24 ·
Tumbleweed Express is gonna rock! Brian has become a professional road grader in the old school "knuckle buster" and Steve was a natural in the dump truck with a non-syncro 18 spd. I treated the Cat 938 like a shifter kart and our combined efforts have resulted in an awesome course that we designed and graded together. Grant and Mark stopped by for a while and helped out also. I doubt my new engine will be ready in time for April 4th, but I'm tempted to yank the engine out of my street car just so I can do this event-it's going to be a fun one!

#27 ·
No, we drove the Starlet. But we did all the same stunts in the Starlet that we did in the Ruckus, except unlike the Ruckus, I couldn't climb that huge volcano thing. It was more fun driving down it in the Starlet than in the Ruckus too, and way scarier trying to drive up it in the Starlet!

#28 ·
I went out and drove the course during the second half of the rally-x, I got lost at least once or twice. The road is looking a lot better than my first tour on it. I am looking forward to it. At this point I think I need to find time to go out and write notes as I dont think I can do it in the time allotted.

#31 ·
Kevin,

Do you need any 0, 00, 000 cars for the event?

Grant,

Are you looking to rent out your rear-wheel drive beast? Or is that a "friends with benefits option only"? I think we could work something out that involves co-driving and or driving. Or a little of both:D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.