Official: 2009 Colorado Rally Cup Announcements - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Official: 2009 Colorado Rally Cup Announcements

CHCA rules can be found at chcaracing.com. I believe that the rules state that the car has to comply with RA or NASA build rules.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

jc sorry to hear.
    CHCA rules as i under stand it.
    log booked before jan 2007 are on 2005 ra rule book
    log booked after jan 2007 are 2007 ra rule book

i need your help with the rally sprint on apr 4th.
    please call
    mr. best regards
    brian moody
    www.saltamotorsports.com

long live the crc
    www.coloradorallycup.org

world travel site
    www.theinfiniteroad.com

Need ride. Please send money. JC_595's Avatar

it adheres to the 05 rulebook (by the letter of the book- "SAE 4130 or other like material may be substituted, to be ok'd by the Chief Scrutineer"). -I believe that would mean T45 would be accetable without FIA cert.

I havent found a copy of 07 RA rulebook yet to see if it was changed by then...

Brian- tried callin ya @ Salta- gimme a shout on the YVC line
    970- EIGHT ONE NINE - 6SEVENNINE4

JC
    Last edited by JC_595; 02-26-2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: rulebook finding
    JC

John Cirisan - #595

"Dont race it if you cant Replace it."

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by brian in denver View Post
    jc sorry to hear.
    CHCA rules as i under stand it.
    log booked before jan 2007 are on 2005 ra rule book
    log booked after jan 2007 are 2007 ra rule book

i need your help with the rally sprint on apr 4th.
    please call
    Brian - I don't beleive we've ever made a change to the rule book picking up the 2007 info. There was talk about doing so, but I'm not sure anybody ever proposed the rule, and I know it wasn't something we voted on for 2009.

Dave

It took less than a minute to open the CHCA website, click on rule book, find the page from the contents, then look at it to see this last sentence of 901.a: "Any new construction must be built to the 2007 version of the rulebooks."
    As I said before, NASA Rally Sport or RA rule book are both allowed.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

stay less flat...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Brian - I don't beleive we've ever made a change to the rule book picking up the 2007 info. There was talk about doing so, but I'm not sure anybody ever proposed the rule, and I know it wasn't something we voted on for 2009.

Dave
    does it even matter?

preengineered cages have to be installed to the specs of the design and can't be altered. if you want more bars or a different design than the preengineered cage, you build your own from the proper type of tubing to the proper minimum spec then add bars as desired. you can't enhance or alter or mix and match Custom Cages with custom cages...

this is how it has always been explained to me by guys who build and install cages and know this sort of thing.

if this is indeed the case - no RA rulebook is going to condone the said cage and since CHCA rules are the RA rules...

what do drift sanctioning bodies say about cages? maybe all's not lost... I hear people are into it.

Quote Originally Posted by granthughes View Post
    It took less than a minute to open the CHCA website, click on rule book, find the page from the contents, then look at it to see this last sentence of 901.a: "Any new construction must be built to the 2007 version of the rulebooks."
    As I said before, NASA Rally Sport or RA rule book are both allowed.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for taking a couple minutes to look into it Grant.

Dave

into right 2 tightens

The 2008 NASA RallySport Rulebook seems to state that only CDS or DOM are allowed for new cages (end of http://www.nasarallysport.com/rules-...Appendix-B.pdf), but I think it's also probably worth double checking your specific cage details with a NASA scrutineer since NASA logbooks are honored by R-A.

Need ride. Please send money. JC_595's Avatar

Here's the deal kiddies:

I had three options wth this car.

1) I could have ordered a Custom Cages Sierra Cosworth FIA CDS kit. THis kit is hopelessly outdated from the early 90's at best, with only a single diagonal in the rear stays, main hoop, & roof. It also only had mitered door "X" bars with NO gussets. I could have installed and been 100% legal with this cage, and the cost was roughly the same as what I paid for the cage I already had here. Problem with this was I will not race in a cage of this design. It does not fit MY requirements of a safe cage. I would need to add lots of bars & gussets, which would then void the cert, and render it non-legal for RA.

2) I could have built my own DOM cage to FIA specs. I dont have a bender (more $), DOM is expensive up here in nowhereville (more $) and it would take far more time (more $). This was to be a LOW budget build or I could not get back into rally at all. Add to this that I simply do not believe that the latest FIA spec cages were designed wth thicker wall DOM in mind- you cant even order a Step 3 latest generation cage in CDS- only T45.

3) I could use the extra Step 3 T45 cage we had here that we didnt need anymore after buying an already prepped car for STI #2, as it fits perfectly and to the exact same dimensions as designed. Even better- it is installed in a 2600# car, rather than a 3200+# car.

So, I assumed (yes, I know- ASSumed) that those in the know would take rational thought patterns & structural integrity into consideration after the installation and discuss it, look at it & we could come to a mutual understanding of some sort. However I blabbed publically. So I f'd up. Totally my fault.

The whole thing is not about the structural integrity of the cage. It is all about liability. That is all.

The truly sad thing is that T45 is great for the rest of the world for rally cages, but we Americans do not accept it for some reason that I do not know, and have not been made privvy to. However- we readily accept it as long as it has a flippin FIA tag on it saying it's OK.

Stupid F'in lawyers.

I would just race CHCA in another class (which allows just about any cage material), but they are all Carburated. THis car is Fuel injected (OEM 5.0L).

But get THIS- Formula Drift (Pro Drift ciruit) cage rules outlaw ERW (but T45 & 4130 is acceptable), and you are not allowed to have ANY tubes go thru the firewall. ????

Figure THAT one out.
    JC

John Cirisan - #595

"Dont race it if you cant Replace it."