Special Stage Forums banner

Official: 2009 Colorado Rally Cup Announcements

11K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  JC_595 
#1 · (Edited)
2009 Colorado Rally Cup official announcements.

We had been waiting for things to be more firm and final. After some discussion today we decided that we need to make public as many things as we can to help teams be able to plan even if things aren't entirely finalized at this point.

Here is the tentative schedule, many dates need to be confirmed and there are still some details being worked out but we are getting close. If some event changes happen, then the schedule will be adjusted, these are our best guess dates as it stands:
~March 7 – Season launch and full season technical inspections
Flatirons Tuning Boulder, CO CONFIRMED
~April 4 – CORE Rally (Co 1) (Rally America)
Colorado Off Road Extreme – Date to be confirmed, details and schedule to be announced once date is confirmed CONFIRMED
~ May 9-10 – Temple Canyon Hill Climb (CHCA)
Cañon City
~June 7 – SCCA RallyCross
C.O.R.E CONFIRMED
June 27-28 - Buffalo Peaks Hill Climb*
Buena Vista CONFIRMED
July – No CRC events

~August 8-9 – Lands End Hill Climb (CHCA)
Grand Junction CONFIRMED
August TBD - New co1 or co2 rally (Rally America likely)
Waiting on snow to melt so we can survey the site and talk with the land owner.
~September 19-20 – Rally Colorado SEASON FINALE
Steamboat Springs CONFIRMED

* = events full status inclusion into the CRC schedule is pending.

For 2009 there will be a $50.00 championship registration fee required for entry into the Colorado Rally Cup. Registered competitors will receive points as outlined in the Colorado Rally Cup Rulebook and will receive as part of their registration fee the full Colorado Rally Cup visual package as well as a promotional package. Teams that register by Feb. 15 and provide all required materials will have part of their promotional package customized for their team. Teams not registered by Feb. 15 will receive the full promotional package but may not be able to have any of their promotional package customized for their team. The promotional package will consist of at least 20 championship posters in addition to at least 50 hero cards for teams to hand out at events.

Additionally, only teams officially registered will be eligible for any of the over $3,500.00 in cash or goods based prizes as well as any official Colorado Rally Cup discounts by any CRC official partners or sponsors.

Teams wishing to pre-register should contact me directly at Kevin-a-KevinHahnPhotography.com and I will get the required information as well as any other pertinent details to you. Pre-registration needs to be completed (not just me contacted) by Feb. 15 for the team personalization of the promotional pack.

We are working on a new layout and direction for the website right now as well. Hopefully we can get this happening soon and then we can get the new information on the site for everybody.

Comments? Questions? Complaints?

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep up the good work!

Will the event at CORE require restrictors?

FWIW, I won't be able to make Tech Inspection, so hopefully missing that event doesn't cause any problems. With my job in Denver, and weekend work at BWDS, I'm booked 7 days a week thru March 8th. As soon as the school finishes up, I'm going to be tearing into the Evo for a complete drivetrain overhaul, so I'm also not sure if I'll be able to have the car back together by April 4th, but at least I've got something to shoot for.

I'm hoping to have more info on the CHCA schedule at the next meeting, so whenever I hear anything, I'll be sure to pass it along. FWIW, Temple Canyon dates have been confirmed as being on Mothers Day weekend.

Thanks!

Dave

#8 ·
Start saving now.

It is our intention to add one or two small compact rallies this year.

After much discussion we decided that even though many teams may have the required NASA license and membership to run NASA events, we are already requiring teams to purchase a RA license. Given the fact that we are charging a small registration fee this year (which won't cover the materials given back in exchange) we decided that if we could keep the memberships and licenses down we owed that to the competitors. You all already have to get a CHCA membership and license, as well as a RA license, adding $100.00 to the mix for NASA paperwork seemed a bit much for us to throw at you guys for this year.

#13 · (Edited)
Kevin,

I am interested in running the TDB rally style events, and I am planning on running cog this year. I however will not be running any rally cross events in the rally car, and will never run a CHCA weekend for more then testing the car in Rally America Trim. Full spares in the car with a restrictor.

Does it make sense for me to pay the $50 to come to maybe four of the Colorado Rally Cup events.

The only reason I am asking is because I want to support you guys, but really see the hill climb series as a large waist of time.

I am very exited to see the the rally style event on the calender, but really only see myself running them if we are using the Rally America rule book. I am really sorry Aaron M. and Dave K.

After my crash with Grant out in Oregon i can not ever imagine racing a car with out a Head and neck restraint system. The systems are so much cheaper then a funeral.

#15 ·
The events you chose to compete in are your own choosing.

As for registering with the CRC, to be eligible for scoring (and any benefits that might be involved), you will have to be registered this year. To give an idea of what this would have meant last year, the only way to get the discounted entry to RFKaC, as well as be eligible for the starting money from us, would have been to have paid the $50.00 (and before anyone gets clever this year, you will still have had to have run other events before RFKaC if there are any discounts or incentives for that event). Had you paid the $50.00 you would have saved a total of $50.00 by doing a full regional entry. Had you paid the $50.00 you would have been eligible for the no frills CRC rate and saved over $100.00.

This is just a hypothetical. Last years offers from Rally Colorado were just that and should not be taken as an indication of what may or may not happen in 2009. However, if we are able to put something together with Rally Colorado for 2009 you will have needed to be a registered competitor and have entered CRC events previous in 2009 to be eligible. Whether or not that will be worth it for you in 2009 is something you will have to decide.

I also think that it is important for the collective community to support the events that we have as best as we can. The CHCA offers fun, relaxed weekends with very good racing. There is a very good value there for racing that they offer, the dollars per mile might be higher than a rally entry fee, but you don't have the 1,600-4,000 miles of towing to just show up and come home. The CHCA also offers us their experience and ability to work as an organization to get permits from the feds at a time when the feds aren't really giving out permits. Their events have some fun and really incredible roads that there is no way there would be racing on if it wasn't for the CHCA. We need to respect and support that as best as we can as a community.

With all of that said whether or not you choose to register or go to any of the non Rally America events that the CRC will have is of your own choosing. I can say you will not have to be a CRC registered competitor to do the CORE Rally or the TBD event if we are able to put that one on.

If there are any other questions or concerns post them up. I'll be happy to address them.

#14 ·
Eric,

From my conversations with Kevin, any of the RA sanctioned events will require us to run RA rules, so the CORE rally sprint and the event possibly on Labor Day weekend will require restrictors.

On a side note, I find it funny that you find the hillclimbs a waste of time. You seemed to like them plenty when you were fielding one of the best cars out there...I'm bummed to hear that you won't be coming to those. What ever happend to your goal of setting some records at PPIHC? Hillclimbs are pretty damn good practice for that. Sorry to come off a bit harsh...I'm just sick and tired of all the CHCA hating. Seat time is seat time, regardless of the venue, it will make you a better driver.

Honestly, if money's tight (and it is for everyone this year), just have some fun with your car locally. Keep working towards that degree, it'll be a big help in the long run!

Dave

#16 ·
The April 4 event is ON!

We have our sanctioning approved from Rally-America.

Final details are being worked out and will be posted soon.

Entry fee should be between $100-150.00. We will be looking at 4-8 non-repeated mile laps (meaning, you won't be running the sprint course 2-4 times per stage). The mileage will depend on what can be cut and by when.

We will get registration open as soon as we can and will announce more details hopefully early next wee.

#19 ·
I have edited the original post to include confirmation notes on events.

Hopefully by this time Friday we will have a confirmed schedule minus the TBD event.

We also hope to have the new website up sometime next week. I simply need time to sit down and iron out the details with Adam so we can get it up and running. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get this stuff done any faster when I am working 50-55 to keep my current "new" job.

#23 ·
Thanx Aaron. I still gotta get the grill from Grant and find the correct Bilstein #'s (I found Grp N fronts, but not correct rears yet).

Also, the wiring harnesses are a little bit confusing the way you "extracted" them :) , but I am working on those now & splicing in the 5.0 harness & ECU. & I still need an adapter for the alum driveshaft...

The cage is actually a Custom Cages Subaru Step 3 FIA cage kit that I modified to fit the car. It is actually really bad ass & super light. Way over kill for this car and I imagine it will tip the scales dry @~2600lbs even with the 5.0L!

I finally got some pics of it up on the website-

yampavalleycustoms.com

#26 ·
You will need to find a time to meet Jim Keeney in Colorado Springs prior to the first CHCA event, and you'll need to make arrangements to have your car teched prior to the Rally Sprint as well. Neither of these things are terribly problematic, but the early tech sessions are nice b/c if you're missing anything, you'll have time to fix before the green flag drops.

Dave

#28 ·
Yes and no.

Brian and Steve will be available to look at all cars. Cars will still have to go through a tech at the event per the insurance requirements. However, it should be possible to determine if the car will pass in its current condition, which should help teams be able to be ready for the sprint in the event that they need to make any changes.

#29 ·
well, it appears a rather large roadblock in my plans has come up.

I am not allowed to run my car in RA events due to the cage I installed.

I would like someone that knows the rules for CHCA to contact me re cage rules please, to determine if I can run the car for CHCA events. I need to make a decision if I will finish the car for hill climb events only, or if I will finish it as a drift car, or scrap it completely as I have a pretty sour taste in my mouth at the moment.

Thanx
JC

#33 · (Edited)
it adheres to the 05 rulebook (by the letter of the book- "SAE 4130 or other like material may be substituted, to be ok'd by the Chief Scrutineer"). -I believe that would mean T45 would be accetable without FIA cert.

I havent found a copy of 07 RA rulebook yet to see if it was changed by then...

Brian- tried callin ya @ Salta- gimme a shout on the YVC line
970- EIGHT ONE NINE - 6SEVENNINE4

JC

#35 ·
It took less than a minute to open the CHCA website, click on rule book, find the page from the contents, then look at it to see this last sentence of 901.a: "Any new construction must be built to the 2007 version of the rulebooks."
As I said before, NASA Rally Sport or RA rule book are both allowed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.