Special Stage Forums banner

What kind of bike do you use?

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  rallyxr4ti 
#1 ·
I am considering running a couple or as many Rally Moto's as I can afford in 09. I don't have a bike yet and I am going to start looking for a decent bike but I'm not really sure what to go with. On strictly dirt I ride a slightly modified 04 CRF250R which I like. I'm only 5'8" 145 pounds so I don't think I need as big of a bike as some and I may not be able to throw a bigger bike around as easy. A good friend of mine is selling a modded 2007 Suzuki DRZ400SM with dirt tires on it but I'm not sure how well this bike would be suited for dirt. I'm overseas right now so I can't test ride it. I did ride it when he had the street tires on it and I really liked it. I'm not set on any bike or brand in particular so I would like to get the opinions of experienced people.

#2 ·
Dan,
I don't compete in motorally, so my opinion is not based specifically on that kind of competition, but I live in an area heavily populated by "single cylinders" and I ride one on weekends, when not rallying.
I have a KTM for canyon riding and while power is very good, maintenance is required more frequently than the 400 Suzukis or the 650 aircooled XRs Hondas. Those last two bikes you can beat them up all year(s) long and require very little maintenance.
Austrian, Italian and German singles and vtwins (Aprilia) will provide more performance, but will need careful maintenance, higher initial price/maintenance costs and slightly more riding experience to take them to the limits.
I'm sure others will pitch in, but it all depends really on your riding experience and budget.
Also a small suggestion...buy used..people buy dirt and enduro bikes for a lot of $ new and then put them for sale on Craigslist for thousands less after couple hundred miles of riding..especially with the current economy times.
Good luck.

#3 ·
I have done 3 this yr and ride a 625sxc ktm but any street legal bike would be good to start out. In the recient mt hood rally my crank wrist bearing went half way thru and had to dnf so i wouldnt do anymore damage. Anyway at that rally a 525 or 450 would have been the way to go but alas I have not a stable of bikes but one good one (at least when I rebuild it!) so a 600 range is a heavier bike but good for transits etc what ever is street legal and in the rallymoto rules is good just get out there!

#4 ·
At the Mt. Hood Rally, I rode a KTM 640 Adventure and did pretty well. The fastest bikes were true dirt bikes with plates like the KTM 525.

If you're going for a street legal from the factory dual sport bike, the DRZ400S would be decent, it's reliable and cheap, and there is alot of aftermarket support. The SM is going to have shorter suspension travel which might actually be better for rallying.

#5 ·
I would definitely get a used bike. I don't think I'll ever buy a new bike when you can get a slightly used one for much cheaper. The drz400sm I am looking at only has 850 miles and has been jetted with a fmf header, yoshimira slip on, and the air box has been modded for a little for more airflow. He wants 4 grand and I'm sure he'll go down some. I don't plan on winning an event or anything but I would like to be competitive anyway.

#11 ·
^Haha ok. I'm looking forward to seeing them. I'm hoping to hit at least 2 but hopefully more. Right now I know Idaho for sure since it headquarters are 5 mins from my house and the roads are awesome then Mt. Hood. Did any of you get to the North Nevada Rally this year? I would also be pretty interested in doing that one.

#12 ·
I’m by no means experienced but I bought a bike a week before the Mt. Hood rally with the intent to use if for local riding and an occasional Moto Rally event. I got a KTM 690 Enduro, which has the revised LC4 motor. It’s a real powerhouse…way more than I can use at this point. I think this bike won Black River stages and Mt. Hood overall so I know it’s capable.

I’m 5’ 6” and 150lbs and I was afraid the bike was going to be too heavy and big but it really rides 50lbs lighter than it actually is (320+-). However, the weight was a problem every time I went off stage and had to get it pointed toward the road again!

It’s a good combination of offroad and on-road manners. I typically ride 20-40 miles, one way, to get to some of the old RIM roads, Libra Mountain or Mt. Gleason, and having a bike with taller gearing and good power makes the ride up the I5 more comfortable.

At Mt. Hood my brother road a KTM EXC450 and mentioned that he really had to rev it on the fast 70+mph sections.

Andrew

#13 ·
After what Anders said about the 400cc and under class I am pretty sure I am going that route. I really want to codrive so if I can find someone to let me sit shotgun for them I would do that first. I'm going to buy the bike either way for fun and cheap transportation. As far as the 70+ mph sections this bike has taller gears and is capable of doing 110. It may not be the most competitive bike but I know it will still be fun which is what it's all about right? Even if it was the best bike for the class I know I can't ride it to it's full potential. You can bet I will be out riding almost every weekend when the snow melts though.

Thanks for the input everyone. I hope to see everyone at a rally somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.