Recomendations for a prep - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recomendations for a prep

100 oversquare right

ask round and try to find a shop or garage mechanic that could convert it for you. If this car was closer to Reno my crew chief could do it for very reasonable ...

that's a huge steal i wouldn't give up that easily on it . good thing i don't have any money or I'd go and buy that car right now

seriously put a craigslist ad for mechanic .. wtf !!! unless you are loaded its bat shit crazy to pass up on this. usualyl OL imprezas go for 8K + i'm sure you can convert that to a manual for much less than the 3500 difference. or even *gasp* do 1 rally with it being an automatic.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

don't cut

So what are ya going to do when you lunch a 5spd manual? The only real difference is you have to hang a pedal set (which might be just a wee bit easier in a non-caged car) BUT pull the seats , get a soft blanket and go to work. It is all just nuts and bolts. Subarus and Hondas likely have more knowledge and help available than any other badge. Get on one of the Sube forums and ask for help doing the swap. That car is a bargain.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by heymagic View Post
    So what are ya going to do when you lunch a 5spd manual? The only real difference is you have to hang a pedal set (which might be just a wee bit easier in a non-caged car) BUT pull the seats , get a soft blanket and go to work. It is all just nuts and bolts. Subarus and Hondas likely have more knowledge and help available than any other badge. Get on one of the Sube forums and ask for help doing the swap. That car is a bargain.

Gene the guy needs a decent SERVICE MANUAL and some simple hand tools...And for those miserable Subaru's some PB Blaster--or something---for the 2 lower studs..

There are SKILL type jobs, and there are jobs I call "grovel jobs'...swapping in a set of pedals, a flywheel and a clutch, then sliding in a gearbox is definately a "zero skill Grovel job"..
    You just have to get the thing high enough and crawl under and grovel...

And you posed a absolutely crucial, pivotable question--but too incomplete so I'll rephrase it for you"

If you go down the well worn path to bankruptcy and disaffection and, buy an older Subaru and it already has a 5 speed--which experience over 15 years has shown has gears made of sun-dried mud
    what are you going to do when the gears turn to dust which they always and constantly do?

You go down that road to perdition you better allocate time to learn to swap the gearbox...and practice in your free time...aim for under 20 minutes...it can be done and I've watched Dave Clark do it in a parking lot "because we swap in new ones after 100 SS miles as preventative maintenance"

There, that's a little clearer
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

everest07,

Don't buy that car. I've seen it first hand. The cage is messed up and requires major rework to pass tech.
    If you're looking for a shop to do the cage then I recommend Dave Clark or Primitive. Budget at least $5k for the cage if you go that route.

If I was starting all over I would find a used car that is already log booked.
    Last edited by northcoast; 12-22-2014 at 06:44 AM.