Special Stage Forums banner

Recomendations for a prep

24K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  northcoast 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Last spring I got a few quotes for a car prep, but from builders not all that close to Portland.

I am currently entertaining the idea of getting a G2 car preped again (instead of buying used). Can anyone recommend builders in the PNW preferably closer to Portland? I would consider getting the job done by anyone interested in doing it. Without much of a time constraint i would be happy to have someone in with more free time and garage space than I have do it, in other words I am not just looking for full on race shops.

Dave Clark was recommended to me, does anyone have his contact info? Does he just build shells or will he do the whole 9 yards?

Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
Richard Buckner in Hillsboro, OR is the closest to you 971-275-2730
Dave Clark in Kent, WA (Dave Clark Motorsports) 425-221-2470
Derik Nelson (Day 3 Creations) in Redmond, WA 206-200-1124
Cascade Autosport in Redmond, WA 425.883.1100
Dave LaTourette (DaveSport) in North Bend, WA 425-888-4444
AllWheelsDriven in Bend, OR contact info above
Doug Chase (ChaseRace) in Duval, WA, 425.269.5636

so yeah, you have a lot of options.

#7 ·
Cascade AutoSport for the win!

There are numerous people/shops doing prep work in this area, I've had experience with two of them first hand. Peter at Cascade just finished my new car and they exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. A strong, safe, competetive car and simply elegant.

#10 ·
Did you prep your Sube? It looks like quite a well done car.
The entire Safe Drives Rally Team Impreza build was either done by myself or by my design / request.

The cage in our rally car was built by Judd Weld in the Bend Oregon area. It is a very well built cage. Last I heard Judd had started a company called Grindesign. The number I have for Judd is 541-317-1339.

The aluminum sump guard was built by Richard Buckner (# is above) and has been on the car for about three years now. It's a great sump guard.

The seat mounts, strut tower reinforcements, some seam welding in the engine bay, one roll cage addition, the replumbing of brake lines to install my hydraulic E-Brake / brake bias controller and custom aluminum dash were all done by Russ at Racetech Fabrication in Portland Oregon (503-254-6706). Russ has done great work on our rally car.

The current engine was built by Dale at the NW Subaru Service. Dale is great and does it all for a great price. 503-504-4032. Dale stayed up with me untill 4AM Friday morning working on my rally car to get it to run for Oregon Trail 2008. Dale is the man and without his help before Oregon Trail our race season would have been over right there. Instead, we were able to rally on at Oregon Trail 2008 and had a fine finish in the regionals.

Wiring, product installation and engine tuning have now been done by Rallitek in Portland Oregon. Give them a call at 888-773-1212. www.rallitek.com FYI, they actually have a caged impreza in the shop right now that has a cage built by Judd. :) (Gabe? WTF?)

I give credit to Dave Clark (# is above) for my FWD Impreza Transmission along with great advice on all things race / rally related.

The rest of the car and most of the event re-prep has been done by me with help from Teresa, Cara and countless friends. This is no small task either.

In 2008 we got sponsorship help from:
Rallitek
AEM Performance Electronics
Safety Solutions
NW Subaru Service
Safe Drives LLC

Jack you are welcome to come by and talk for a hour or two, when you have time. Please give me a call before you head over. :)

#11 ·
Due to our rally team's demise we have race buckets belts and other odds and ends available at the fling pu shop in south olympia. Ben @ 360 790 8336. I fully recommend all of the previously mentioned builders with special kudos to Clark, Buckner, Dash and the Safe Drives team.

#14 ·
All Wheels Driven

I have to give a THUMBS UP to Barrett, at All Wheels Driven, for building a solid car(cage by Judd I think).

The car handled a good roll at OT and was put back together by the AWD crew and rallies on:D

Charles has also been a great help.

Paul is also a great guy and a big help.

Hope to see you out there soon and that the build goes smooth.

#15 ·
I also have to give the thumbs up to Barrett, he has been SUPER helpful with our build and able to help out and get everything we need. Also, a new shop in Bend is G-Fab motorsports, they recently built the cage for the RA 401 car and are currently finishing up mine. They started off just doing rock crawling buggies and such but have started doing rally stuff as well. Great work for a great price, and Graeme is willing to stay up late into the night to finish things up if needed to get everything ready before a rally. Judd is also an amazing builder. Can't go wrong with any of the people named so far from my experience.

#16 ·
Primitive Rally Outfitter

www.get-primitive.com now has a hoist and full RALLY PREP services from rally-legal cages, fire systems, seats, harnesses, odo's, intercoms, spill kits, first aid and fire extinguishers. Parts and service and installation (we have a nice 2-post lift! and paint booth!) We carry and install suspensions including our own design LIFT SPACERS and body lifts as well as KING SPRINGS for increased performance and ride height. We utilize the seasoned skills of Richard at Streben Racing for the cage work.

We also have a big inventory of go-fast and safety gear for racers and rallyists including "STARTER KITS" for those getting into the sport (product bundles of tow strap, spill kit, fire ext and all the stuff needed to get your car log booked and thru that critical first tech...) Clutches, turbos, tires, brakes, HANS devices and helmets along with lighting, light bars and full light pods.

Come visit us in Tigard, Oregon 9460 SW Tigard St Suite 104 Tigard, OR 97223 503-624-2139

#18 ·
Some of the shops listed on this thread are from quite a few years ago that do full rally preps, the majority are no longer in business. I am in the market for a builder seeing how I am having difficulty finding a ready built Open Light car. I live in the Seattle Metro area.

#21 ·
ask round and try to find a shop or garage mechanic that could convert it for you. If this car was closer to Reno my crew chief could do it for very reasonable ...

that's a huge steal i wouldn't give up that easily on it . good thing i don't have any money or I'd go and buy that car right now

seriously put a craigslist ad for mechanic .. wtf !!! unless you are loaded its bat shit crazy to pass up on this. usualyl OL imprezas go for 8K + i'm sure you can convert that to a manual for much less than the 3500 difference. or even *gasp* do 1 rally with it being an automatic.

#22 ·
So what are ya going to do when you lunch a 5spd manual? The only real difference is you have to hang a pedal set (which might be just a wee bit easier in a non-caged car) BUT pull the seats , get a soft blanket and go to work. It is all just nuts and bolts. Subarus and Hondas likely have more knowledge and help available than any other badge. Get on one of the Sube forums and ask for help doing the swap. That car is a bargain.

#23 ·
Gene the guy needs a decent SERVICE MANUAL and some simple hand tools...And for those miserable Subaru's some PB Blaster--or something---for the 2 lower studs..

There are SKILL type jobs, and there are jobs I call "grovel jobs'...swapping in a set of pedals, a flywheel and a clutch, then sliding in a gearbox is definately a "zero skill Grovel job"..
You just have to get the thing high enough and crawl under and grovel...

And you posed a absolutely crucial, pivotable question--but too incomplete so I'll rephrase it for you"

If you go down the well worn path to bankruptcy and disaffection and, buy an older Subaru and it already has a 5 speed--which experience over 15 years has shown has gears made of sun-dried mud
what are you going to do when the gears turn to dust which they always and constantly do?

You go down that road to perdition you better allocate time to learn to swap the gearbox...and practice in your free time...aim for under 20 minutes...it can be done and I've watched Dave Clark do it in a parking lot "because we swap in new ones after 100 SS miles as preventative maintenance"

There, that's a little clearer:p

#24 · (Edited)
everest07,

Don't buy that car. I've seen it first hand. The cage is messed up and requires major rework to pass tech.
If you're looking for a shop to do the cage then I recommend Dave Clark or Primitive. Budget at least $5k for the cage if you go that route.

If I was starting all over I would find a used car that is already log booked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.