Need help locating a suspension for a VW rabbit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help locating a suspension for a VW rabbit

Default Need help locating a suspension for a VW rabbit

some of you may recognize the car, i think it has been around this forum for a while....

Anyways, i am setting up the car to compete on gravel, hopefully going to make it to some rally america races this summer/fall. The car was not originally set up for this, so i am looking at a new or "slightly used" suspension.

Forrest Duplessis was nice enough to give me some input, and it is looking like hot-bits or DMS would perform the best.

So where are the vendors that would carry these? and hopefully have them in stock.....in true car prep fashion, i am rushing to get it done before a particular race.
    Last edited by audios; 06-10-2008 at 06:28 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

ah yes, "the Tartan"! know this car well i do.
    as far as suspension -give [email protected] davenport racing a buzz-i know he has hotbits

thanks haley.

also, after talking with hot bits and DMS, i am learning more about needing a top mount plate.

I am a welder and am not afraid to fabricate, but i need some guidelines on which direction to go. i.e thicknesses and general design. if i can i would like to make them (save $$$) but since there would be a learning curve on fabbing the part i am debating on just shelling the money for pre-fab. i obviously have research to do. after searching here briefly i am not seeing much, but i am sure every application is different, and its not like this is a wrx dime/dozen.

thats where i am at now, thanks

joe

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

bobdobolina

Quote Originally Posted by audios View Post
    thanks haley.

also, after talking with hot bits and DMS, i am learning more about needing a top mount plate.

I am a welder and am not afraid to fabricate, but i need some guidelines on which direction to go. i.e thicknesses and general design. if i can i would like to make them (save $$$) but since there would be a learning curve on fabbing the part i am debating on just shelling the money for pre-fab. i obviously have research to do. after searching here briefly i am not seeing much, but i am sure every application is different, and its not like this is a wrx dime/dozen.

thats where i am at now, thanks

joe
    Joe I suggest you contact Josh Wimpey and Ozgur aka "Turoc" about the suspension they have on their VWs. Very much better design than the not so hot stuff and very affordable.
    Josh Wimpey has been routinely winning 2wd for a couple of years and reprts no problems with his suspension. "Ozgur" can also tell you who and where you can get a pre-done top plate for VW to use a Subaru strut top mount which is very much stronger than the amazingly crappy VW bearing.

With suspesnsion that old saying really fits: It's the stingy man who pays the most.

It is Flat on the Floor!! Davenport576's Avatar

Well, Thats a fine howdy do!

I guess that not many folks know me as a VW guy. I have not been running latley and of course wish I was. But I do have quite a bit of VW experience. Have run Golfs since I started in 95. Won Quite a bit as well

Hot Bits is affordable for a few reasons. Where they are made, Malaysia and not needing an extra housing to do the job. This helps. Also Rebuilds can be done by me in MN or by Larry in MI. No Border crossing as with others. About $75.00 per corner for Hot Bits. Of course not including any major damage.

Rally Sets for the MK1 Rabbit start at $1364 Delivered. Of course more for the Single and Double adjustables.

As for the Top Mount I would go with a Burmeister Camber plate. 3/8 aluminum. $340 for a universal plate.

These Items I have been working with for quite some time. Burmeister since the late 90's and Hot Bits since 2003. Both have outstanding records of service.

I am a small shop and can not afford to sell crap and make it up in volume. I take great pride in choosing what I offer to folks becuase I Understand a Tight Budget.

So, to go forward, Shop and research as much as you can. Find a shop that you feel good about. No matter what you buy a good relationship with your supplier wil go a long way.

I hope this did not come out too harsh.

Doug Davenport
    www.davenportracingusa.com

50 caution yump

You want something bulletproof and relatively cheap?
    Go with Soooper Bitchiiin JVABs and Subaru top mounts for the front. It will eliminate your suspension worries. The rabbit you bought was running on Bilstein HDs and they were having problems at Jumps during Black riverstages last year. If you need more info on how to get JVABs PM me or post here.

Oscar

bobdobolina

Quote Originally Posted by turoc View Post
    Go with Soooper Bitchiiin JVABs and Subaru top mounts for the front. It will eliminate your suspension worries. The rabbit you bought was running on Bilstein HDs and they were having problems at Jumps during Black riverstages last year. If you need more info on how to get JVABs PM me or post here.

Oscar
    I've heard he makes upside down or inverted struts with strong chrome-moly tubes with 40mm Biltein inserts and I've read there's more than just the Wimpey winning on them, there's the Mosers out in CRS winning with them and there's guys in Canada winning Group 2 there, but wasn't he banned because he doesn't love freedom so he's with the Terrorists?

Quote Originally Posted by turoc View Post

Oscar
    Also we were running it on the same springs which have waaaaaay too high rates. It made the handling slightly unpredictable.
    Travis Sleight
    Saratoga Springs,NY
    KC2QIU

You smell sumthin burnin?

Default PM sent

Audios,
    PM sent re: JVAB suspenders for sale.
    Thanks,
    Josh
    Jv
    MkII Golf GTI Rally Car# 469
    '06 Suzuki DR-Z400S Dual Sport
    - Good judgement comes from experience, and experience, well that comes from bad judgement -

I've run on Hotbits, JVAB, and DMS. I'd not buy anything but JVAB personally. We hated the hotbits, but others seem to like them. Maybe they just don't abuse them on stage like we did.