Build or buy? - Page 9
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Build or buy?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    I was just curious if there is anyone out there who is specializing in buying $500 used cars in decent condition, adding the saftey mods, and then selling it to people who want a low cost of entry into rally. As opposed to the business that take Subarus, put 50k worth of stuff in them.
    Maybe open light or G5?
    We are doing just that with Impreza's. I have one that will be ready to deliver to customer end of this week. Now, it does NOT have anything other than a cage, but if you are doing Open Light, most of the rest of that is bolt in parts. You can get bolt in seat brackets. Harnesses are easy. Primitive makes skid plates that bolt on. Throw on some Porterfield R4 pads, JVAB struts, set of alloy Legacy 5 spokes and a used set of gravel rally tires and go rally.
    Our builder car is a base 4 door 2.2L 5 speed. Nothing mechanical has been touched other than timing belt and oil pump reseal a few months back when I was daily driving the car. Addition of a roll cage and we had it listed at $4k and had quite a few people interested. Family member wants to pick it up so selling it to him for $3.5k. This allows you to build the car up to the spec you want over time at a minimal initial investment. If you want it ready to rally, plan on more of the 8-12k range.
    We also have spec E36 Group 2 options. Builder 92 325i is sitting here acting as my daily driver for now. That one is going to be more like $11-12k ready to rally. That'll be more of a car than an Open Light car however with RWD, LSD, and 220 hp.
    Grant Hughes - 1985 Merkur XR$TI Group 5
    rally.build
    885 Parfet St Ste C
    Denver, CO 80215

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Default Buy an abandoned project!....

Buy someone else's abandoned project!! It's the hybrid of build or buy. Buy this partially built and do the bolt on crap to finish it! I just scored this one and I'm selling it. Was in dudes garage for 2+ years after cage was done.

https://www.specialstage.com/classifieds/show-ad/?id=685
    Dan
    "This ain't asphalt, son, this is dirt, you don't have three-wheel brakes, so you got to pitch it hard, break it loose and then just drive it with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be outta the dirt and into the tulips; I'll put it simple, if you goin' hard enough left, you'll find yourself turnin' right. -Doc Hudson

50 caution yump

Quote Originally Posted by Abington Rally View Post
    Buy someone else's abandoned project!! It's the hybrid of build or buy. Buy this partially built and do the bolt on crap to finish it! I just scored this one and I'm selling it. Was in dudes garage for 2+ years after cage was done.

https://www.specialstage.com/classifieds/show-ad/?id=685
    IS there any other sites where cars are sold? SS pretty much the only place to watch?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    IS there any other sites where cars are sold? SS pretty much the only place to watch?
    Rally Anarchy, Dirty Impreza, NASIOC, RS25 some sites are better than others. Best thing, ask people that are into rally, many times are not 'for sale' and end up being sold because someone asked someone who knew someoone who had one.
    Dan
    "This ain't asphalt, son, this is dirt, you don't have three-wheel brakes, so you got to pitch it hard, break it loose and then just drive it with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be outta the dirt and into the tulips; I'll put it simple, if you goin' hard enough left, you'll find yourself turnin' right. -Doc Hudson

I sold the legacy and the buyer has since sold it regretting getting rid of a sorted car. Now I'm nearly finished buidling the Mini I'm 50/50 on buy or build. If you don't have the skills/time I would say buy a used rally car.
    Cheers,

Chris

Rally Mini Cooper JCW #37: Sponsors EBC brakes,Muflas Sicar,Fortech CR, G oil CR, Minigearboxes UK

Quote Originally Posted by Abington Rally View Post
    Rally Anarchy, Dirty Impreza, NASIOC, RS25 some sites are better than others. Best thing, ask people that are into rally, many times are not 'for sale' and end up being sold because someone asked someone who knew someoone who had one.
    dont forget this place....its awesome:

http://rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrc

bring your checkbook
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

I know that it's probably been said many times over, but building your own car is easier said than done my friend.

Building your own spec car is fun, but could be dangerous all in its own when it comes time for Tech...not to mention the time and money it takes to build one.

Biggest advice I could give, CLEAN welds and a pro built cage. If you're looking for the experience, and have the dollars to spend, then I'd say go for it.
    But in my personal opinion...I'd buy your first car. Then if you still want, do a build. That way you have something to fall back on!

The best of luck to you in your new passion my friend.

Cheers!

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by ugly View Post
    I sold the legacy and the buyer has since sold it regretting getting rid of a sorted car. Now I'm nearly finished buidling the Mini I'm 50/50 on buy or build. If you don't have the skills/time I would say buy a used rally car.
    Ya selling your car was a big mistake. Now trying to get back into the market and the prices for prepped open light cars seem to have gone up alot. With the current price of used open light cars the economics of buying are getting closer to building. Something to consider.

Slid'n around 'n havin a ball randyzimmer's Avatar

Just a gentle reminder, if you feel you have to build... buy my book.
    It is for the GC Subaru but a lot is usable for anyone.

your other left, you idiot

You know - there might be a movie in there.

Oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by AArallyteamUSA View Post
    I know that it's probably been said many times over, but building your own car is easier said than done my friend.

Building your own spec car is fun, but could be dangerous all in its own when it comes time for Tech...not to mention the time and money it takes to build one.

Biggest advice I could give, CLEAN welds and a pro built cage. If you're looking for the experience, and have the dollars to spend, then I'd say go for it.
    But in my personal opinion...I'd buy your first car. Then if you still want, do a build. That way you have something to fall back on!

The best of luck to you in your new passion my friend.

Cheers!
    press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy