Special Stage Forums banner

Tanners got a new job?

12K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  dokhen 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#9 ·
Thats great news for Tanner... congrats to him. I thought the picture of him next to Richard Hammond was quite funny :)

Agreed. If they only review / comment on cars they like, that really sucks. I think that is part of what i love so much about Top Gear on BBC is that the hosts obviously don't care what anyone things about their opinion. They just tell it exactly how they feel. Not too surprising that the words "rubbish" and "brilliant" are used multiple times in just about every episode.

#16 ·
Agreed. If they only review / comment on cars they like, that really sucks. I think that is part of what i love so much about Top Gear on BBC is that the hosts obviously don't care what anyone things about their opinion. They just tell it exactly how they feel. Not too surprising that the words "rubbish" and "brilliant" are used multiple times in just about every episode.
not suprising. i imagine that the BBC's public funding vs. US networks pay-for-by-advertising has alot to do with it.

you can't pick up a US car mag that doesnt tow the line...

...but then you can say that about most of our media. it's all pre-programmed to keep the masses brainwashed, unoffended, and unable to think for themselves...

having said all that though, i'm happy for tanner, he's genius in front of the lens...

#10 ·

Some say the Stig's American cousin is sustained only by the cream in a moon pie, he's been on more episodes of COPS than anyone else, and that his blood vessels are filled with Union 76 Hi Test, all we know is.... he's the Stig's American cousin.

#13 ·
Boo! Jeremy Clarkson is hilarious.
The problem with Leno and cars is that he may be TOO knowledgeable. I've seen a couple of shows with him on and he is a SERIOUS gearhead, not quite the flippant, irreverent git that Clarkson is. JC accepts his shortcomings in the mechanically inclined sense. Leno would know that this nut is not the correct specification for this year of car, since they only came with blah de blah...
And Leno always has a weird superior smirk that bugs me too. I like him though. I would prefer Adam Carolla, however.

#23 ·
#24 ·
Trying to port a popular British show to an American audience has failed for NBC multiple times in the past. Coupling, The Office..who knows what else.
This is a long history of botched US versions of British shows, but The Office isn't one of them. It is a critical success and a ratings success for NBC (4th highest rated primetime show on NBC last week).

However, I don't have a lot of hope for a US version of Top Gear.

#21 ·
Our man Tanner is TOO DAMN GOOD for a lousy USA Top Gear show.

Aren't the guys on the original show just a bunch of dorky blow-hards really? They can't even drive. bla bla bla. Kinda like the MythBusters pseudo-science losers but with just cars. I'd almost rather watch all that Unique Whips crap. almost. I don't really see Tanner doing that crap.

Tho if the $$$'s good, WTH

#34 ·
Remember that Top gear is a BBC show. That means that they don't have to cater to sponsors.

And NBC show will have to. So you can totally forget any biting commentary or honest criticism of any car.
Also NBC has been on the "green" bandwagon. How much you want to bet there will be no questioning of Global Warming and that Fuel economy will be pushed as much as performance?

#35 ·
Remember that Top gear is a BBC show. That means that they don't have to cater to sponsors.
While the BBC is a publicly subsidized broadcaster, I believe they DO sell advertising ...
CBC Television, in Canada, is the same. Heavily funded by public money, but still carries and NEEDS advertising. (CBC radio, on the otherhand, is commercial free)

#39 ·
geez, don't go bringing up all these good arguments to counter my empty opinions.

Mythbusters: Uh-huh, pseudo science or the best science ever, whatever --- its just not that entertaining!! A whole hour to get to the point where they gone blow'd da thing up! They should have just one show per season, with only the last few minutes of each current 1-hour show.

Oh wait, darn!! I think I just missed another Pinks re-run while writing this! Ah shoot!

#41 ·
Some say the outline of my right nipple is exaclty the same shape as the Nurburgring. Others say if I went on Celebrity Love Island, they'd all be pregnant, including the cameraman. If I had the time to be bothered, I would crack the Da vinci code in 47 seconds. It is rumored that Jimmy Carter wants me dead! All I know is they call me The Stig.

Sorry to all my fans but I will not be crossing the pond to flog your super-sized cupholders with wheels. In my place, so they say, will be an American sunday afternoon icon. Here is to hoping the new test track is an oval.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.