Special Stage Forums banner

NEW Rallye Magazine Cover Art Prints NE1?

11K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Mad Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought the four Toby Nippel paintings from John Power that were used for Rallye Magazine cover art back in the 70s and I gotta tell you, it's a little like owning a hunk of Yank rally history. Neither the magazine covers nor the posters sold back in the day do them justice! Surprisingly, the Stratos poster purchased new 30 years ago measures half again larger than the original artwork.

Anyway, since it's 2008 and there's some interest here in vintage rally stuff I'd like to know how much, if any, interest there might be in making/selling new prints from these originals. I know that the price point will have a lot to do with interest but since I'll need to peddle enough of them to recoup my investment I'd also like to know what might be an attractive price.

The four I have are:

Porsche 911 (FIRST Issue - October 1975)

BMW 2002 (August 1976)

Lancia Stratos

Honda Civic

Additionally, I can probably get prints made from the F-Square Rally Team VW Rabbits artwork if anyone is interested in some of those.

What say you?

See less See more
#11 ·
I'm mostly trying to gauge interest to see if it's worth the time/money to get prints made, sold and distributed. Since I have the original and a framed Stratos print from the first offering 30-plus years ago I might sell it if I don't end up making new ones.

BTW - It's not an Accord, it's a "cvcc"! :D

#18 ·
Split, huh? Sacrilege ...

;)

Monsoon season has yet to abate but I am keen to make prints off this art and will let you know what the price points might be ...

In the mean time -

I have permission from John Power (Rallye Mag Publisher) to scan and post anything I have in Rallye Magazines so I'll do so as time and motivation permits ...

#24 ·
Young master Finn Wood, 6 months, will now have a Stratos, 2002 and a flying Colin McRae on his wall. Thanks, Mike!

#25 ·
The four I have are:
Porsche 911 (FIRST Issue - October 1975)
BMW 2002 (August 1976)
Lancia Stratos
Honda Civic

Additionally, I can probably get prints made from the F-Square Rally Team VW Rabbits artwork if anyone is interested in some of those.
Mike, I have the original Nippel artwork for the F-Square cover. If you get enough interest, I'll work with you to include mine with yours. Sasha

#26 ·
So far one medium sized poster of the Lancia Stratos is the extent of sales on fineartamerica.com (thanks Tony!). I kinda thought the holidays would stir a little interest but that didn't happen.

Sasha - I took the pieces to a local shop who created high resolution digital copies that I subsequently uploaded to fineartamerica.com. If you want to do the same I'd be happy to add the Rabbit to the collection and send you whatever I get off any sales of that one - but don't expect to get rich ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.