Questions are welcomed anytime folks.

Best regards,
    Charles Buren
    www.safedrives.com
    877-739-1713 Toll Free

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

All Rally Nets orders in August 2010 will get free shipping to the lower 48 USA. If you can order nets and seats from Safe Drives at the same time, I will take off an extra 10%!!!! Hurry, this sale ends at the end of this month!!!!

Best regards,
    Charles Buren
    www.safedrives.com
    877-739-1713 Toll Free

are nets good even if I already have winged seats?
    Dan
    "This ain't asphalt, son, this is dirt, you don't have three-wheel brakes, so you got to pitch it hard, break it loose and then just drive it with the throttle. Give it too much, you'll be outta the dirt and into the tulips; I'll put it simple, if you goin' hard enough left, you'll find yourself turnin' right. -Doc Hudson

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Abington Rally View Post
    are nets good even if I already have winged seats?
    Please note that any FIA homologated seat that is under $1500 retail will be made from materials that will be somewhat flimsy when you throw a full grown human at the side of the seat, at 35 miles per hour. Remember folks, the seat (and car) will stop when it hits the tree, your body will want to keep going. The seat will bend, considerably. Check out the in car video here from Lurches car at NEFR 2010. What I want you to notice here is that the seat top will sway back and forth with the weight of just Lurchs body hitting the side of the seat at 1-2 Gs laterally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7bCdLzqJqc

Now imagine his body hitting the side of the seat at 35 MPH (or 40g).

Lurch has the very nice and very expensive Racetech "Viper" seat that was tested supposedly, at 70 G impact. Lurches fancy Racetech seat is designed to work with nets in a side impact, to greatly improve side impact survivability. You can see at the top of his seat it has a little loop for the net to go through.

Trust me when I tell you that ANY SEAT can be made to perform much better with the use of side impact nets. For the outside net you can place a nice piece of FIA or SFI padding on the net so that you at least have some Impact foam between your head and whatever is coming through that window. In my last rally car, for the safety set up I had the side head wing OMP HTE Seat braced up with my side impact net and some DOW Impaxx foam attached to the net. (4 nets total in the car, 2 per seat)

The head wings of these seats are not, I repeat ARE NOT designed to absorb impact energy from a tree striking the side of that head wing. You can, as we now see in WRC cars (and my car) that you can attach impact foam to the outside of these head wings. This would be the same foam that you can attach to your side impact nets when using seat that do not have the side head wings.

Bottom line is that nets help no matter what seats you are using. I'm available all day to answer questions like these by phone. All I have done for a living for the last five years is sell safety products like these. Safe Drives does not sell turbos or body kits, just safety. I am also a big fan of rally and have driven rally cars since 2002. Please, consider me a resource for your rally related safety questions in the future.

Best regards,

Charles Buren
    Safe Drives LLC
    877-739-1713
    www.safedrives.com

Best regards,
    Charles Buren
    www.safedrives.com
    877-739-1713 Toll Free

Bump for big, big upgrade in safety.

Happy day to you!

50 caution yump

Have anyone just put them in the middle?
    Last edited by czwalga; 11-12-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
    Just I feel like my head is close enough to the side that even a net stretched tight enough wouldnt offer much more protection that already is to the outer side.

With respect to the outer nets (not middle), you have to visualize the side impact of 40MPH Tree and ask yourself what you want initially slowing your body down;

1) The 40MPH Tree?
    2) A net designed to absorb and re-direct impact energy?

Best regards,
    Charles Buren
    www.safedrives.com
    877-739-1713 Toll Free

your other left, you idiot

Don't know why you would.

When I sat with Ralph Kosmides, he had them both inner and outer (both sides of the car). We left the inner ones fastened most of the time. Unbuckled the outers to get in and out of the car - no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
    press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

Happy Holidays SS members!

Best regards,
    Charles Buren
    www.safedrives.com
    877-739-1713 Toll Free