Bike selection

Thread: Bike selection

Default Bike selection

I'm kinda in the 'dream' stage now but thinking about getting a bike coming up. The type that I'm most intersted as of now is a 'adventure' bike, and probably something in the 650 range. I'll mainly be using these for commuting but want to be able to do trips too eventually.

I've been looking at the KTM 640 Adventure and the BMW f650. How would this type fare in rallymoto? I know it'd be a compromise from a more dakar style rally bike but if I'm gonna ride it on trips and commute I don't want to have a full race bike (for the maintenance perspective).

To answer other Q's ahead of time, I've had a bike before, with a couple years riding experience, but I don't think I'm ready for a bigger one like the 950's yet.
    Jay Luikart
    #687 G2 goofy seat

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Rally moto is all about the skills of the rider and much less about the bike. You can be competitive on just about any dual sport motorcycle out there. For commuting the BMW is going to be a nicer setup...smoother, more comfortable etc. If you are considering a KTM 640 you might as well wait a little while for when (fingers crossed) the 690 adventure comes out. The new 690 is apparently much smoother and very little vibration.....vibration being the primary complaint on the 640's.
    I've never been afraid of things that go Yump in the night

Cool, so they'd work, thats great! I'm definitely a novice on dirt as I haven't done very much dirt biking or anything so I'd need to get some practice before I'd hit the stages anyway.

I'm looking at used bikes, so although the 690 would be cool I don't think it'd be in my price range too soon. I'm open to other bike reccomendations, but what I'd read so far is the ktm 640 and the bmw 650 are more fun to ride and handle a little better than the other options.
    Jay Luikart
    #687 G2 goofy seat

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

My suggestion would be to get the bike first, then make sure you have all the appropriate safety gear. Get used to riding the bike and riding it with all your gear on. Dirt roads will be fine practice for now. Then I suggest entering an event that is easy for you to get to. Sandblast is a challenge only because it has lots of sand. Even if you run at the back of the pack all day you will still have fun and you will learn a lot. You will find that you learn a lot about bike handling in a short amount of time..even if you find you are at the back. Also you may do one event and decide its not for you.
    I've never been afraid of things that go Yump in the night

Seth's right. Both bikes have been used in RallyMoto quite successfully with the BMW having the edge on the street and the KTM in the dirt.

Everyone seems to have a great time in RallyMoto no matter what they're riding.
    Top guy, Mark Ely, won Sandblast last year on an old Honda XR600. At Black River, there were older BMW GSs, Suzuki DRs, a Honda XL650 along with the more exotic bikes like an Aprilia SXV5.5 and the big KTMs and BMWs.

Cool, sounds really good, and I honestly had no idea that the bikes I was already looking at were bikes that people were already racing. It does seem like a lot of fun and a great way to get back on the stages for not as much money as a car.

I do plan on riding with gear and getting experience first. Well, first I convince the better half that this is all a good idea, then I do the riding!
    Jay Luikart
    #687 G2 goofy seat