2008 Contingnecy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Contingnecy?

Quote Originally Posted by webkris View Post
    Hey Mark,

I'm just going to rant here for a second to see if maybe it will affect your 2009 strategy.

- Kris
    Sorry, folks, we've been getting ready for Mt. Hood (and that pesky last tax deadline of 10-15 for our "real" jobs)... I will be formulating my response in the next day or so, when I can get a spare moment...

I hope to clear up some of the misconceptions that Kris has outlayed here in our existing program and discuss our 2009 plans.

Mark Tabor

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

* I'm not going to check if my competition has Silverstone tires, or more specifically, hound everyone to join the contingency program even if they do. Only against qualified entrants in class? Most of the 2WD's in the last year have been running Hankooks, so no money for me...
    - Kris
    I think you misinterpreted this part. What we meant (and have meant since we started our contingency in 1999) was that we only count the people who have registered and qualified for the contingency in your class. This means that you could place 8th in class, but be first on the contingency program, thus winning the first place prize. Does that make sense?

* 120 days? I have Silverstone tires that are more then a year and 3 rallies old - I thought that was a good thing? Maybe 18 months is more realistic for a grassroots team? I would consider myself somewhat 'national' and I usually only buy 1 set of tires for an event.
    - Kris
    This has nothing to do with the life of the tires. This has to do with encouraging customers to use their credits within a timely manner. It's the same as a coupon...there will be an expiration date. Also, the main factor was that we didn't design the program with the intent that people buy a set in 2005 and win contingency winnings for the next three years before they buy new. The point of the contingency was to encourage customers to buy the product, run on them and buy more at a discounted rate, rewarding performance. If you buy one set of tires per event, then you should be buying tires well within the 120 day expiration.

Let me pitch it from a sales and marketing perspective:
    I like Silverstone tires. They wear better and last longer then Hankooks. The 14" size is a better fit on my car. They are more expensive then Hankooks, but the extra cost can be justified as they will see 2-3 rallies and not just 1. I would proudly run the stickers if I knew that - as long as I beat at least 3 people in my class I would be getting $40 or more for more Silverstone tires.
    - Kris
    I'm not sure I understand the math here, but again, I think you need to read my first paragraph to understand the contingency as we intended it.

My suggestion would be to drop the "only against ourselves" and put your tires up against other manufacturers. Giving someone a coupon for $40 worth of more tires means that:
    A: They won with the tires.
    B: They will most likely be buying more and telling their friends to buy them.
    C: You have cars on the podium with Silverstone tires and stickers on them!
    - Kris
    But, if I did that, wouldn't I be doing exactly what you outlined in the first place? Pitting you against everyone in class? I would think that there would be advocation for the opposite, as it means more dough to buy tires with. Perhaps it is this conversation that needed to clear up the process.

** Please use "starters" and not "finishers" - I'm sorry Hankook, but I beat the 3 people that didn't finish. It's called "rally".
    I think that we could change the wording to starters.

Currently most people I know (2WD) are running the Hankook contingency because it has the best bang for the buck. If you want to sell more tires, you'll have to really compete with this contingency directly. I would rather buy Silverstone tires, but If I just won $100 from Hankook - you know where the other $300 of my money is going.
    Absolutely, but I think my clarification should change your mind, no? And, with regards to the Hankook contingency, it is a good program. It is strikingly familiar to our own (or at least it used to be). The key is that we (the Tabors) have had basically the same program since 1999. That will be 10 years next year. We aren't intending to change it significantly.

I understand you are not the manufacturer and probably can't offer a deal like the other guys can. It's unfortunate because of the quality of the Silverstone product. I think you could still attract people to stick with Silverstone - even if you cut the above payouts in half.
    You are correct. We have been the N. American importer since 1998, started selling them in 1999 and have always backed our contingency with our own funds. We do not receive any manufacturer's money for this program. We wanted to do something that reduced the cost of the clubman rallyist in the US...even before the economy tanked and the clubman absolutely needed it.

We are merely a grassroots company (family, really) that believes in the sport of rally so much, that we give our money (in tire discounts, entering 4-6 competition vehicles per event AND assisting organizers in this region) to the sport in great amounts.

The bottom line here is that 09 will be interesting. Silverstone is cutting back production, but we are hopeful that it will not effect our supply. We intend to offer a contingency in 2009 (and beyond).

That being said, we have been in discussions with two other tire companies to add rally tire products to our line. I hope to have an announcement on these developments by December.

Thanks for reading this far and enduring my rant-reply!

Best regards,

Mark Tabor
    Silverstone Tyres, USA

[email protected]
    www.taborrallyteam.com

Arrow qualified

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone Tyres, USA View Post
    I think you misinterpreted this part. What we meant (and have meant since we started our contingency in 1999) was that we only count the people who have registered and qualified for the contingency in your class. This means that you could place 8th in class, but be first on the contingency program, thus winning the first place prize. Does that make sense?

This has nothing to do with the life of the tires. This has to do with encouraging customers to use their credits within a timely manner. It's the same as a coupon...there will be an expiration date. Also, the main factor was that we didn't design the program with the intent that people buy a set in 2005 and win contingency winnings for the next three years before they buy new. The point of the contingency was to encourage customers to buy the product, run on them and buy more at a discounted rate, rewarding performance. If you buy one set of tires per event, then you should be buying tires well within the 120 day expiration.

Thanks for reading this far and enduring my rant-reply!

Best regards,

Mark Tabor
    Silverstone Tyres, USA

[email protected]
    www.taborrallyteam.com
    Okay - That certainly clears stuff up
    I don't think that I'm the only one confused by that verbiage though...
    You may want to include your explanation in there.
    I read it 14 times and was like - so wait - "qualified entrants" ??!
    I'm qualified!

Second item - I still think 120 days (4 months) may be too little for a grassroots team that may sit out a bunch of events. I certainly think there is some room between running tires from 2005 in 2008 (your example) and a 4 month break in rally action. The NASA USRC season started late and in the summer - so any tires that I bought new (and would still be using) from Laughlin last year are null.
    Is 6 months a bargain here? How about 5?

In my Laughlin scenario I would NOT want to buy new tires at the end of the season. I would want to run out the ones I had and wait until the last second to buy tires for NNR...

Thanks Mark!
    I appreciate the clarification.

- Kris
    KI6IUC
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your rally question is probably answered in Rally University

RALLYNOTES.COM - YOUTUBE VIDEO - PICTURE GALLERY - HIGH DESERT TRAILS

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

How about adding something for regional only events?

Okay - That certainly clears stuff up
    I don't think that I'm the only one confused by that verbiage though...
    You may want to include your explanation in there.
    I read it 14 times and was like - so wait - "qualified entrants" ??!
    I'm qualified!
    The verbiage used to be pretty clear, but the more that we do this, the more we discovered some folks that like language and tried to take advantage of what wasn't there. So, we lawyer'd it up a bit. Qualified entrants seems pretty clear to me (but, I interpret IRS code for a living), it is those who have met the requirements of the program.

Second item - I still think 120 days (4 months) may be too little for a grassroots team that may sit out a bunch of events. I certainly think there is some room between running tires from 2005 in 2008 (your example) and a 4 month break in rally action. The NASA USRC season started late and in the summer - so any tires that I bought new (and would still be using) from Laughlin last year are null.
    Is 6 months a bargain here? How about 5?
    You may be quite right in that. I don't see this as the appropriate thread to make deals, but we will revise in the new program for 09.

I will say, however, that most people that call or email privately to take advantage of the contingency program have found that even I can be somewhat flexible on a case by case basis.

Thanks for the discussion! As soon as we are ready to talk about our 09 program and product line, it will be announced here!

Mark Tabor
    Silverstone Tyres, USA

www.taborrallyteam.com

Quote Originally Posted by pdxphil42 View Post
    How about adding something for regional only events?
    Definitely something we are considering. We have to look at the overall marketing choices that are available to us. Perhaps a regional championship contingency?

Mark Tabor
    Silverstone Tyres, USA

www.taborrallyteam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstone Tyres, USA View Post
    Perhaps a regional championship contingency?
    That would be sweet! Not like I have a chance in hell of winning it but you never know.

I did check out the Hankook programs for 2008. Looks like they do National, Regional, RallyX and SCCA RallyX Nationals. On the minus side, they don't have a mud tire.

100 oversquare right

Default Sure

(A bit late but why not)

Very Cool. So for 2009 we need to finish top 1,2,3 Amount other Silver stone Tired cars who are signed up for the silver stone / tabor rally team contingency. and we need to have X amount of starters in our class (who do not have to be on the tires or with the program)

Sounds Great. I want to sign up for 2009. perhaps consider using slightly different wording, i also was a bit confused when i first read the rules.

I would Love to see the time bumped up and or be written to included seasons ie 2009 usrc season, or 2009 CRS. (or 1/2 season like you can combine coupons from the first half of crs to buy tires for the 2nd half ? to what ever point makes sense for you guys ie max 1 coupon per tire or what ever)

Kris's explantion of why the silvertone tire is worth a bit more with its longer lasting sticky tread is right on. My tires have seen double duty RallyXing and Full Staging. combined with a contingency program i think it will be the best value out there

Inclusion of rallyX would be sweet! maybe just as a drastically reduced rate, or on a per regional/national event basis?

With silverstone cutting back production do you know if 13"s will still be made? and either way hows your stock of 13's? (either the 165, or the 175) ? (hopefully one of the soft compounds)
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....