Practice days
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice days

don't cut

Default Practice days

We are considering adding a few practice days for next year. Somewhere in the Elma area initially. Fee would be under $100, and it will be an insured event with legal road use. Gravel road, not a cow pasture...The first date could be on Jan 12th, the day of the banquet. Theory behind this is the Oregon and far north people could just make one trip for both practice and banquet. To me that seems like a lot in one day but who knows.

The next bright ideas would be a legit practice 2 weeks or so before DooWop and 2 weeks or so before Olympus. This gives enough time to get cars done and sorted. If a problem shows up it also gives time to make repairs and adjustments before DNFing an event. These would again be under or around $100 for the day and likely in Grays Harbor area.

This will only happen if there is enough interest. Please add your input towards this.

Thanks,
    Gene

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I would be interested IF I can get my car done in time. If so I would definitely be interested in doing some testing (new brake setup, etc) and shaking off some rust (off of me, not the car.)

This reminds me, the first ever "event" I ever did (and I think the first event Ray Damitio ever organised, call it the precursor to Doo Wops) was a fun run day like this called the Coachman Fun Run in 1987. It was on the Alpine Hills stage run back and forth as a dead end. It was not a scored rally, just a test day sort of thing and I remember the entry fee was $10. I think at least 20-25 cars showed up. I drove my primered Opel Manta which was still on lowered stock suspension and had no skidplate! Yes, Capitol Forest roads were smooth...

I sure like the idea of a shakedown session a couple weeks before doowop; maybe the car'll even be ready by then. January? Not so sure but if it is i'd do my best ot be at that one too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Oh yeah, I vote for the 2 weeks before Doo Wops. No way I'll be ready in January.

I am very interested. Gene, I'll be rustier than you if I don't drive my car pretty soon!
    Is the Friday before Doo Wops an option? How about the Sunday before Doo Wops? I'd be happy to play at the Hoquiam log sort yard.

don't cut

Quote Originally Posted by DaveHintz View Post
    I am very interested. Gene, I'll be rustier than you if I don't drive my car pretty soon!
    Is the Friday before Doo Wops an option? How about the Sunday before Doo Wops? I'd be happy to play at the Hoquiam log sort yard.
    The problem I see with doing this a week before an event is if something breaks. 2 weeks before gives you time to get patched back up or improved, especially if parts need ordered.

The road will be real gravel, not sorting yard muck. Several miles long, enough to get some heat into stuff and do some tuning if that is an option.

I'm beyond being rusty, I think fossilized is the term...

Rusty Dave @ DooWop 2008: "See, I was leading 2WD when......."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3VbJfnQug
    ***RWD rocks***

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by heymagic View Post
    We are considering adding a few practice days for next year. Somewhere in the Elma area initially. Fee would be under $100, and it will be an insured event with legal road use. Gravel road, not a cow pasture...The first date could be on Jan 12th, the day of the banquet. Theory behind this is the Oregon and far north people could just make one trip for both practice and banquet. To me that seems like a lot in one day but who knows.

The next bright ideas would be a legit practice 2 weeks or so before DooWop and 2 weeks or so before Olympus. This gives enough time to get cars done and sorted. If a problem shows up it also gives time to make repairs and adjustments before DNFing an event. These would again be under or around $100 for the day and likely in Grays Harbor area.

This will only happen if there is enough interest. Please add your input towards this.

Thanks,
    Gene
    Brilliant.
    We need more. MORE opportunities to re-dip the toe back into the water.

And I can't remember when I was rusty. But it was a while ago.
    A long while ago.
    What's after rust?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by Topi View Post
    Rusty Dave @ DooWop 2008: "See, I was leading 2WD when......."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI3VbJfnQug
    Oh gee thanks Topi, that's very helpful. Big vote of confidence. But funny.

I drive the car.

Morning practice one direction and run an afternoon c1 in the other direction? :-)