Rally America rules changes for 2008 - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rally America rules changes for 2008

I am not here anymore AlanPerry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihbobry View Post
    Corporate sponsors backing certain cars with the goal of xgames placement and who have 500.00 to keep someone else's product off of their product placement carrying vehicle.

There could have also been a request from the network to ensure placement of something on every car.
    The change has nothing to do with XGames. XGames operates under a different set of rules (oh, on so many levels).

alan

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Umm guys - I hate to point this out to you, but you are a bit late on this one.
    Check the Rules Bulletins dating back as far as Dec. 2005 (RB #22).
    Then posted again in Sept '06 (RB 18) and Nov. '06 (RB 20).
    http://rally-america.com/rules.php

While I am not in total agreement w/ the need for head and neck restraints at this time, it's too late in the game to really complain.
    Do as I have and save your dimes.

- jeffy

Erik,

Are you referring to the requirement for Head and Neck Restraints next year?

I think I remember a bulletin last year that H&N devices would be required in 2008. It's a significant expense, to be sure. Still, it shouldn't be a surprise.

I got my HANS last year. So our team still needs to buy one more. I've suggested to Dan and Gabe (my two navi's) that they split the cost and share one, at least for now. Maybe other teams could consider something similar.

Also, SafeDrives was offering a rental program. May be another affordable option.

I would also consider lending my HANS to a local team if I'm not using it (ie. Oregon Trail 2008, since I help organize that one). Perhaps others would be willing to do the same.

It is expensive, to be sure. And I hope it doesn't have too much of a negative effect on entries.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by RoundtheBend View Post
    You guys are missing the point of my post.
    That's $800-900/seat! For teams with less money (read: NOT national teams), they're going to have to choose between entering an RA event and buying these required devices. I foresee fewer club entries at early 2008 RA events.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rallymk1 View Post
    THANK YOU...FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I keep waiting for someone other than my broke a$$ to freak out about this, I know for our "team" this is an ENORMOUS expense.
    Any other guys in same predicament?
    Didn't WRC try this for something like 2 events and decide it is NOT the way to go?
    I posted this to remind some of us lower-level competitors that this is coming.

If you're that worried about it, I wish you would have put up a post to commiserate with your fellow competitors.

The out-of-region guys have destroyed the intent with their banter about sponsor decals.

Doug, yes, that is the portion which I highlighted and to which I was referring. I didn't race last year so didn't read the rulebook or bulletins. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by rallymk1 View Post
    Didn't WRC try this for something like 2 events and decide it is NOT the way to go?
    Wrong. Drivers and co-drivers on the WRC "manufacturer" teams must wear head&neck restraints. Head&neck restraints will be required at all events on the FIA International Calendar in 2009.

Of course, that doesn't explain why RA is requiring them in 2008.

alan

3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary Mad Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoundtheBend View Post
    I posted this to remind some of us lower-level competitors that this is coming.

If you're that worried about it, I wish you would have put up a post to commiserate with your fellow competitors.

The out-of-region guys have destroyed the intent with their banter about sponsor decals.

Doug, yes, that is the portion which I highlighted and to which I was referring. I didn't race last year so didn't read the rulebook or bulletins. *shrug*
    Hey! I'm only out of region geographically! Since two of my last three codrivers are from the Portland area, I was a steward for the Doo Wops and Oregon Trail this year, and was at both OTR and Wild West last year I've been more involved with PNW affairs recently than I have those in mid-America!

That said, I missed the focus of your concern (like many other respondents) since the 1/08 H&N requirement has been advertised for many, many months now. Somehow I've lived through one 630-degree roll over, at least one 90-degree roll, two flips, one driver's door-centric marriage of tree and car, one 50-mph carom off a boulder and that frozen bank bash Kala and I endured at SNO*DRIFT 05 without any lasting damage. So I too am less than happy about shelling out the bucks for something I'm not convinced will be money well spent for my personal good, but NONE of that precludes the fact that an H&N will be required if you want to run RA events next year. Period.

Now, there was some talk of rental units being available ... Anything new appear on that front? Anyone?

And just to keep the decal piece of the thread alive and kicking, both EMily and I had no problem with GOT BALLS and even scored an oversize sticker that, apparently, became a tree-magnet when the truck was placed in the hands of a Spec Racer driver ...

Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

chances are we won't be competing at at least one two-day local rally due to the H&N restraint costs...it's hard to spend money on things that don't make the car faster, espeically when 1500-2000 could build us one hell of a bottom end....hell thats nearly a new car for us
    Tom Burress
    DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning
    CTS Turbo | RalleyTuned | Meister Autowerks | Spitfire EFI |
    Product Apparel
    JRM | JVAB Imports | Techtonics Tuning | 034 Motorsport | Les Schwab | NLS

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -- Mario Andretti

Add us on My Space or Facebook | Next Event: Olympus Rally

codriveur

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    The change has nothing to do with XGames. XGames operates under a different set of rules (oh, on so many levels).

alan
    Oh, Mr. Wordsmith, give me some cred please!

I also said...

"But most likely because it's a clearer rule?"

I was giving Anders some simple financial reasons as that was his angle...and as far as xgames the rules and the sport of rally seem to apply as needed, and that's fine by me and anyone else that gets it.

Bernie
    Last edited by ihbobry; 07-10-2007 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ihbobry View Post
    Oh, Mr. Wordsmith, give me some cred please!

I also said...

"But most likely because it's a clearer rule?"

OK, some cred.

The new rule is a little more clear, but it is also different from what we have done in the past, so there is a potential for problems.

As a purely hypothetical example, if Fram came back as a series sponsor, I guess the K&N sponsored competitors would have to just put up with it. That could be a reason for K&N to step up their involvement or a reason for them to look at sponsoring guys in another series where they didn't have to have Fram appear on their cars.

I was giving Anders some simple financial reasons as that was his angle...and as far as xgames the rules and the sport of rally seem to apply as needed, and that's fine by me and anyone else that gets it.
    Yeah, sure, I see your point. Just substitute the series sponsorship (with hopefully more TV coverage on ESPN) for XGames.

alan

back when everyone was freaking out about the h&n subject the first time around, there was also talk of RA wanting to make it required for 2008 to have closed face helmets. did this ever go through? there are some pretty nice open face peltors for sale in the classifieds section....