HAM Newbie Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HAM Newbie Questions

200 square left

Couldn't have said it better Mark B.! I used another hams dual band HT to cross-band off his mobile while working as Course Marshal at Olympus this year. Wow, is that ever neat! Basically, it's like using your mobile as a repeater for your HT. This corner was fast and a 90 deg. right, and the run off was straight ahead, AND the way we came in. So, it meant parking our rigs way down the road to block the road and stop potential rally cars hitting our rigs. Usually I can get my Jeep pretty close to the intersection, but not this time and cross-banding worked extremely well. The other point I can't stress is antennas. Make sure you get it matched, i.e., cut the right length. If it's not right you can loose a lot of your power! In fact, I bought an SWR meter and learned how to do it myself. Also, if you can, get away from a mag mount.

Glyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

but if going with a magmount (in my underground parking lot, its just not realistic to have an antenna mounted all the time), make sure it is a large mag mount, so that it doesnt get knocked off going over a bump. One of our volunteers had his fly off while transiting from one regularity to another during a TSD. oops.

so yeah, the one i have is probably 6"s round? and the price difference was 5$ so it was worth it IMO.

Shawn
    VE7SXE

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

I'd just drill the 3/4" hole and go with the NMO mount. Even if you had the parking garage. It takes about 8 seconds to unscrew the antenna. Leave it in your trunk all year, and when you pull out to go to the rally, screw it on. (Oh, you'll need a little rubber/plastic cap to protect the connection from the elements.)

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Retired Rally Photographer

The most important thing is the call sign: http://www.qrz.com/detail/KY4MOM

3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary Mad Mike's Avatar

After procrastinating for ... uhhhh ... I guess near forever (my Dad bugged me to get a license decades ago), I took and passed my Technician exam last night. For those of you who haven't tested, rest assured it's lots easier than you might expect. I went to QRZ.com a week ago, took their practice tests, studied the few things I either didn't already know (optimum SWR reading is 1-to-1, same as CB!) or couldn't figure out by applying common sense (stay off antennae towers when thunderstorms are near - duh), ventured off to some other practice test sites to get a look at the same kinds of questions where answers had been shuffled around and once I was consistently knocking down 90% or better I knew I was ready. There were 35 questions and I missed 3 which left me a 6 question buffer to avoid re-testing. No worries. Now, if my call sign gets assigned quickly enough (and it appears in the ULS database as it must before keying up) I'll be able to be part of the S*D radio net next weekend (unless Bruce forgets to bring his loaner radio).

Speaking of radios ... Over the years I've managed to collect several business band (UHF FM) 2-way radios and would love some assistance IDing one and finding advice regarding what to do with any or all of them. The smallest is a "Radius SM50 by Motorola" that has at least one freq used by Vermont Sports Car five years ago. I also have four larger sets - two that I have no idea about since the only identification I can find inside or out is "JR-25" on the faceplate & circuit board, and "Carol DM600" on the mic. The other two are better IDed - "Standard Model GX3010HT UHF FM Trunking Radio" that some web research indicates MIGHT be reconfigured to work in HAM freqs. I'm guessing Bruce Ws advice will turn out accurate, "Sell them and buy a ICOM," but I wanted to see what the rest of you experts think.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mad Mike; 01-18-2008 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added "& circuit board"
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary Mad Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    - two that I have no idea about since the only identification I can find inside or out is "JR-25" on the faceplate & circuit board, and "Carol DM600" on the mic.
    Found something on these, finally (tenth time is a charm). http://jr-international.fr/product_i...oducts_id=2711

JR International (a French company) says these are 144MHz FM sets that they call CBs. Huh?
    Halley (WB5SQC) ...
    YouNameIt

Registrar - Sno*Drift

Thumbs up S*D Net

Congrats, Mike!

Send me your call sign as soon as you get it. I haven't printed up the radio cards yet and can't wait to add your name.

Mary

Congratulations, Mike. More folks should get the word on how easy it is to get a license.

As for the radios -- yeah, sell 'em and get a dual band ham radio. Although I'd prefer a mobile myself, i've been able to make myself quite useful at CRS rallies using my Yaesu FT-60. With a mag mount and lighter power. there are very few spots from which I can't communicate.

Dick
    "In a battle of wits, it is poor sport to fight an unarmed man". - Samuel Clemens

into right 2 tightens

Quote Originally Posted by dmoser View Post
    Although I'd prefer a mobile myself, i've been able to make myself quite useful at CRS rallies using my Yaesu FT-60. With a mag mount and lighter power. there are very few spots from which I can't communicate.

Dick
    As with real estate, location is everything. Out in the desert, an HT will reach literally MILES. In the woods, you'll sometimes be lucky to be heard a few hundred yards.

It also depends on whether a repeater is being used or not...

Bruce

don't cut

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    The other two are better IDed - "Standard Model GX3010HT UHF FM Trunking Radio" that some web research indicates MIGHT be reconfigured to work in HAM freqs. I'm guessing Bruce Ws advice will turn out accurate, "Sell them and buy a ICOM," but I wanted to see what the rest of you experts think.
    Thanks.
    Hey Mike,

Take Bruce's advice: Buy an actual ham rig. The UHF band is up around 400 MHz; 2M ham freqs are 144-148 MHz; the power amp and receive front end circuits are all wrong. You would need VHF commerical rigs to be able to reconfig to 2m amateur. Anyway, all commerical rigs are limited to front panel switched frequencies; by FCC rules, you can't field commercial rigs for general use with wideband tuning, like you will need for amateur use to do simplex and repeaters at a wide variety of freq's as you move from event to event (or just to work your local repeaters). And all the new features you can get on ham rigs is worth it.

BTW: -.-. --- -. --. .-. .- - ... --- -. - .... . - .. -.-. -.- . - !!

Mark B. NM9S