HAM Newbie Questions - Page 10
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HAM Newbie Questions

For HTs don't forget about things like the MFJ-1730 or any other roll up 2 meter antenna. At most rallies throwing that thing up in a tree will help you a lot more than all the wattage in the world tight on the ground.

That and I've use one of them on an FT-2900 with a jump pack a few times when I don't want to sit in my car with great success. The key to a battery operation is a mobile rig that has low receive power draw.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Well, I take my technician class license exam tonight. Wish me luck.
    As chance would have it, I'll be sitting in the silly seat at ESPR, so I'm sure I'll be picking the brains of some of you folks at the event.
    Provided I pass, it'll be a tight squeeze whether my license will be active by the event.

Thanks for all the help.

Passed the test. I was taken a little by surprise, they asked if I wanted to take the general level exam, which I didn't prep for. Didn't cost anything to give it a try.......I'm fairly sure the second test was written in Greek.
    So in in the world of rally, what would be the benefits of getting the higher grades of license?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sachilles View Post
    So in in the world of rally, what would be the benefits of getting the higher grades of license?
    IMHO,no. The higher grades give you access to HF, which is not currently used at most rallies. Almost all rallies are VHF with some UHF on the left coast. A tech ticket gives you almost all you need.
    That said, I started as just a rally ham and got further involved so I upgraded to General. Then again I tested so long ago all I had to do was fill out paperwork to upgrade. No-brainer.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

So I'm in the database. KB1ZSP. Might have to get a radio now

Congrats! And so you don't sound like a total newb don't forget that your call sign is verbalized thusly:

kay bee one zed ess pee

Welcome!

Simon
    KI4VFE

So just pretend I'm Canadian?

Simon is right, even if he does speak a bit funny...

Quote Originally Posted by sachilles View Post
    I've been trying to convince certain events to have a few workers using NVIS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Ve...idence_Skywave) setups. Even the thickest forest and steepest hills are no match for bouncing things off the ionosphere. Good stuff, but not press and speak like 2 meters.

Zero Cents!

Quote Originally Posted by simoniac View Post
    Congrats! And so you don't sound like a total newb don't forget that your call sign is verbalized thusly:

kay bee one zed ess pee
    I thought

Simon
    KI4VFE
    I thought it was kilo bravo one zee seth pee. Well, at least that's how I'll be able to remember it.... Congrats Seth!

Lol.....I think that's how I'll remember it now.