Special Stage Forums banner

Jack Recommendation?

18K views 56 replies 29 participants last post by  rotten 
#1 ·
My trusty floor jack of 12+ years finally commited suicide. I've been looking for a good/affordable service jack with decent height capability without too much luck. An AC jack is out of the question, what else should I consider? (please don't recommend the Harbor Freight alum racing jack!! lol)

-C

#2 ·
Dunno exacly what you have in mind, but we got one of these 2 years ago and have been really pleased for the price. Light to throw in the truck and 18+" lift. Ignore the 'race jack' part. Main handle pulls out with a thumbscrew and the side handles on the side make it easy to grab and lift.

Northern Tools:
Torin Aluminum/Steel Race Jack, 2 1/2 Ton, Model# T84025

And. Colin, get the car ready for Rally West Virginia; prelim supps SHOULD be up today at www.rallywestvirginia.net

Regards!
Mark B.

#3 ·
We've used one of the "affordable" aluminum jacks for 3 or 4 years now daily in the shop. Beat the snot out of it. Still keeps working. Only problem is it doesn't work on big trucks or vans and rally service rigs. I bought a big Lincoln (real 2 ton) floor jack years ago from a Carquest store. It was about $200 cheaper than the same thing off the Snappy truck. It will pick up large vehichles but it is heavy.

Gene McCullough
Olympus Chief Scrutineer

#5 ·
I already have one of the cheap-o alum quick pump jacks. Problem is that it only goes up to ~18", which is actually not that high. You can put some wood blocks on the saddle to get some extra height, but still not high enough. I guess I got spoiled with my Larin 3T that gets 22" of height on it's own.

My ultimate solution was to get an AC jack, but they are huge and heavy and the cost isn't easy to swallow either. I also think they aren't being sold in the US anymore....if anyone knows of a source for AC please let me know.

Are all the "big-dog" teams using AC? They sure aren't using anything like we are talking about to put their cars up on those socketed jack stands...

-C

#6 ·
At Sherbrooke, one of the French teams had a beautiful grey jack that was lighter than an AC and shorter too and went just as high.
I asked if they wanted to save the shipping and sell it but they declined.
I wrote some of the stuff off the sticker but I'll never find it.
Moral: there's some better stuff out there... somewhere.

#7 ·
After a costly DNF at STPR I had plenty of time to look around the service area for jack options. The Somerset crew (white STi) had this jack that really got my attention:

https://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6669

I ordered one and so far it is great...A bit heavier than the average floor jack due to size, but makes up for that in the height it can achieve. Took about ~2 weeks to get it, but not a bad deal at ~$230 shipped...Figured I would post this up since we never really came up with a good answer.

-C

#11 ·
Don Kennedy said:
The thing I don't like about those inexpensive aluminum jacks is with one pump they seem to want to lift alot (4 inches or more) putting a strain on the jack and taking alot of effort.
Then you'd hate a "REAL" aluminum racing jack. They are rated in number of pumps to full height. Most are 3 pump but there's one or two out there that are one-pump.

The jack doesn't pump too quickly, your car's just too heavy!

- Pete (fond memories of bodily picking the car up because the jacks were too slow)

#12 ·
Colin B said:
After a costly DNF at STPR I had plenty of time to look around the service area for jack options. The Somerset crew (white STi) had this jack that really got my attention:

https://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6669

I ordered one and so far it is great...A bit heavier than the average floor jack due to size, but makes up for that in the height it can achieve. Took about ~2 weeks to get it, but not a bad deal at ~$230 shipped...Figured I would post this up since we never really came up with a good answer.

-C
Good find, I've been searching for a long reach jack that has the little foot pedal pumper upper....thinggy. haha.

the website doesn't say much about it. how much longer is it than a normal sized jack? what's the saddle height when fully lowered? about how heavy is it? made of steel or aluminum?

reminds me of the one Citroen uses....

thank you.

#13 ·
These guys have AC Jacks, jackstands, as well as the jack listed above with specs.

Raised height looks to be 31.5"

http://www.asedeals.com/Ranger_floor_jacks.html

We use the AC jackstands and converted them into sill mount jackstands. Have worked great. We also use the short AC jack and it has plenty of height for both shop and rally use.

Cheers! John

#14 ·
that's the exact same jack John- but for $11 more.

That jack will serve you perfectly Chris. Really. The only problem we found is that it is heavy, but it lifts to the moon, and collapses very low. It is the best jack I have seen for our use.

I would try to steal Bushore's, but he likes it so much I swear he sleeps with it.

#21 ·
my brother tried using the Red Ranger jack to lift the E350 to change a tire.

2 ton limit means "Don't try to lift your service van or stuff will bend, crack and be generally unhappy".....

I don't think there is anyway the thing actually weighs 110lbs. I just grab the base of the handle and the side and toss it in/out of the van.

#25 ·
No no no no.... I was looking for a high lift floor jack, single pump to car. I looked at the prodrive 35" jack which was 1800.00......... Just before I bought it, I happened to go into Harbor freight tools... They had a 34" lift single pump to car jack for 169.99... It is actually called a 2.5 ton farm jack. I bought 4 of them. 2 for the rally car, and 2 for my shop. I use them every day, and have never had a problem.
They have a foot pump and hand pump... www.harborfreighttools.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.