Special Stage Forums banner
43K views 160 replies 31 participants last post by  Jeff Hagan 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Why stop at 3. If your famous just get a 12 car hauler with 8 rally cars and four service vans. Then get a rock star style tour bus to haul your team of 36 to the events.
One service van per two cars.
Two service guys per rally car.
Two floater service guys. Jump to whatever team needs them or is in service at that time.
One team food person. Makes sandwiches, reservations, buys beer, etc.
One team manager. Coordinate the whole ordeal.
Oh, and I suppose we'd need two drivers for each vehicle. Better make it three drivers, one for the hauler, two for the tour bus, so we can drive straight through to the rally.
So that makes a total of 39 people needed. And an annual budget of $$$$$

#18 ·
I work like restaurants. Scale of 1 to 5.
I actually started working up a proposal for something of this scale. Imagine if you had the budget of Rockstar (~$1 million +) but instead of trying to win, you just focused on driving well and getting a ton of exposure. Quantity over quality. Well except 2WD cars. Because they can be built to be decent and class winners without spending $50K+ on the car. But focus the funds on getting to events and make each team continue to maintain their own cars to an extent.

#25 ·
#24 ·
#35 ·
No, I thought it was a long bed. Didn't look close enough, I guess.

My K1500 std cab long bed is only 131" wheelbase, the Dodge 2500 dually I drove for Mike was probably around a 155" But it was enough to make me go WTF? the first time I came to a nice fast sweeper on the highway. It was a very good service vehicle though, even managed to u-turn at the OFPR road-side service, something a few of the rally cars tried and some failed to do. But that's a different story.

327" is stupid long, but that's a whole different kind of vehicle.

#36 ·
The short bed is plenty long enough for me right now. My last truck was a 95 Mazda B3000 Shot bed extended cab, "basically a Ford Ranger XLT" so this is a big step up for me. The only problem with the truck is the transmission right now, It has the NV-4500 5 speed but the third gear syncro is going out. I have to shift really slow to get into third with out grinding. Does any one know of a good transmission shop that can do a rebuild for me for a reasonable price? A-1 quoted me 550-1000 for parts and labor, provided I pull the tranny myself 198lbs myself.

#37 ·
Does any one know of a good transmission shop that can do a rebuild for me for a reasonable price?
Call Brant down in Colorado Springs, he owns Ace Transmissions, and when he did my GTX, there were some trucks like yours in the shop.

Dave

#45 ·
I am seriously contemplating this.
http://denver.craigslist.org/car/598687518.html

My thought is buy this, find a dually one ton crew cab diesel truck to pull it with for 6-7K. Spend a few days a month using it to haul cars for dealers, maybe on the weekends to help pay the payment and insurance. Rent out the extra spots on it for rallies to friends.

#50 ·
Box in the bottom of the wedge to carry spares like transmissions and such. You don't have to haul all the tools and spares and people in one vehicle either.

My car will be running and driveable by Easter. The rest of the parts I need will be here on the 17th. I'm taking a full day off work next week to work on the car and go down to Metro with Mark to do some machine work on a few parts. I sold $350 in parts to fund some of the last things I need, and I'm selling the Ruckus which will cover some of the rest. Though I'll be driving the rallycross with a trashed tranny, tranny mount, and driveshaft guibo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.