Special Stage Forums banner

In case I'm working again...

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tcc 
#1 ·
I think we did this right, and all of it turned out ok, but here's the situation.

I was working start control on SS7 at Sno*drift. There was a problem delaying 6 cars at the finish or something of SS6, not sure of details. Anyway, over the radio we got info that we were going to get these cars in a group, probably late, and to let them race.

The question was on their timecards they had no finish time for SS6, so we just gave them their intime as they came into the start control, all not directly on the same minute, but close. I don't remember what I wrote on the log about it, but I wrote something I'm sure.

I have always worked finish controls in the past when working controls, so it was definitely good to work a start as a competitor to see that side. Plus... the yump at the flying finish of SS10 was sweet!

#2 ·
>I think we did this right, and all of it turned out ok, but
>here's the situation.
>
>I was working start control on SS7 at Sno*drift. There was a
>problem delaying 6 cars at the finish or something of SS6, not
>sure of details. Anyway, over the radio we got info that we
>were going to get these cars in a group, probably late, and to
>let them race.
>
>The question was on their timecards they had no finish time
>for SS6, so we just gave them their intime as they came into
>the start control, all not directly on the same minute, but
>close. I don't remember what I wrote on the log about it, but
>I wrote something I'm sure.

The fact that they don't have a finish time for SS6 isn't your problem (its a scoring or steward issue). All you have to do is give them the time they check in to SS7, and sent them out at the appropriate intervals. If you are suspicious, you might check that they have a start time for SS6 to ensure that they really are still in the rally, but if a car shows up with a timecard you really only need to worry about the fields you have to fill out.

You did the right thing. The fact that you were warned over the radio that this was going to happen is a bonus...

Adrian

#3 ·
Regardless of what may have occured prior to your ATC, you do exactly the same thing.

When the co-driver hands you the timecard, you enter the hour and minute into the arrival time field, calculate the next available ideal start time based on the rules for the event (ie: Arrival + 3 mins) and enter that into the ideal start field. Next car may have same arival minute but would get the following minute (or if a top X car, the minute 2 away from the previous car), and so on until you've cleared the field.

Thats one of the joys of working the ATC of a stage, the procedures are pretty much set into stone regardless of the situation. About the only time things actually change is if you are throwning the stage, at which time you will pull the control signs and the crews follow the rulebook to calculate their due time at the next ATC/MTC.

Now, you can always end up with a stage delay on the start such as I've had a few times, when you end up checking the whole field in without starting a single car. There's nothing like figuring out how to fit a 40+ car field completely within the control zone. It can be done, heck I did it twice at last years 100AW }(

You did it correctly!

Brad

#5 ·
Jay, from your description, it sounds like you did exactly right. Don't worry about what happened someplace else...just do your job clearly and correctly. And as always:

1. Write LEGIBLY.
2. Be as consistent as possible.
3. LOG IT. If you did something especially unusual, write it up thoroughly.

Thanks for being out there, Jay...wish more drivers would take advantage of the opportunity to get control experience when they're not racing.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.