LSPR OPEN FOR BUSINESS- Accepting Entires [Archive] - SpecialStage Forums

: LSPR OPEN FOR BUSINESS- Accepting Entires

deano
08-19-2013, 01:08 PM
LAKE SUPERIOR RALLY PRESS RELEASE 8-18-13

The Lake Superior Region Car Club is now open to accept entries for the 19th running of the Lake Superior Performance Rally (LSPR) on October 18-19th. The Lake Superior Region is proud to be presenting the LSPR event in the host city of Houghton, MI and will be using roads in and around Houghton, Covington and L’Anse, Mi.

LSPR is the seventh and final round of the Rally America National Championship. The event returned to the national calendar this year after running as a regional rally event since 2010. LSPR promises to provide competitors the same challenging roads, intense weather conditions and two days of high caliber adventure. Along with the national listed event, LSPR organizers will hold two regional events called the Auto Value Ottawa Rally on Friday and the Lac Vieux Desert Rally on Saturday.

The Headquarters for this year’s event has two, The Franklin Square Inn downtown Houghton, and the Country Inn & Suites near Walmart. Both have applied rates for our event and mention Lake Superior Rally for them.Franklin Square #888-487-1700 Country Inn & Suites 906-487-6700

This year the LSPR event will allow Recce in an open format bit controlled for competitors to review the stage roads prior to the event. On Wednesday, October 16th a rally car testing day will be held at the renowned Keweenaw Research Center at the Houghton County Airport.
This testing will operate in two sessions, #1- 8:00am to Noon, and #2 from 1:00pm to 5:00pm. All costs and information will be listed on www.lsprorally.com.

Entries and costs will be accepted via PayPal and/or check. LSPR organizers have posted tentative supplemental regulations and will publish the finalized document at a later date on the LSPR website.

The LSPR event is working on two special features this year where the general public can meet the drivers and co-drivers while helping to support the local food pantries. LSPR organizers are also exploring the possibility of a service crew competition and will announce details when finalized.

This year’s event will feature two running’s of the fan favorite Green Acres trail at the Moyle Gravel Pit. The event plans on utilizing 500 miles of some of the Upper Peninsula’s great outdoors and wooden terrain, and approximately 120 miles of some of the best rally roads in the country.

Some teams are also staying in the L'Anse and Baraga area after the Friday night section to save time of travel.

We will be posting a new web site and design in the next 24 hours.

Dean Rushford
LSPR

Dante
08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Wow, $1,100.00 Early Entry fee for Regional Rally.

I'm sad to say, I may have to pass on my home event.

Mark Holden
08-19-2013, 08:32 PM
Wow, $1,100.00 Early Entry fee for Regional Rally.

I'm sad to say, I may have to pass on my home event.

Ooof. Yeah. I registered, but it probably won't happen.

deano
08-20-2013, 04:32 AM
I know it appears a lot for the fees, but due to issues last year and the cost to run an event,
we have to increase our fees. Also with the cost of Insurance and sanctions fees again we have to
increase our fees. We are looking at the fees and dependent upon road repair costs and
costs to run an event, we might be able to refund.

I'm sorry you feel the fees are to high for your attendance at our / your home event, but sponsorship money
is tight all around. I do not have a answer for you at this time, but if someone has a idea we will accept all thoughts.

Many folks have asked for us to return to the Keweenaw. As much as we would like to, land owners that allowed us in the past
to use their roads have declined for liability reasons.

Do I like this no, does the club no, but we cannot run an event in the hole year after year.
We are glad and Proud to have picked up the Holiday Station Stores as a sponsor for our Saturday event. But again they cannot
do it all.

Any questions please let me know.

Dean Rushford
LSPR

WTFestiva
08-20-2013, 05:16 AM
We can only make 1 long trip this year, and it being around the Perryville is we're gonna sit this one out.

Dante
08-20-2013, 06:10 AM
I understand Mr. Dean. You can best rest assured, if I choose not to enter, I will be back in the volunteer line and supporting the event.

psychorallyfreak
08-20-2013, 06:26 AM
LSPR is my big deadline to have the Quattro on the road, so... There's that.

2023maple
08-20-2013, 10:21 AM
I was borderline on whether I could make LSPR this year.... Sorry to say that this was the final nail.
Bryan

deano
08-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Web site and info for paying is open.
Check in at RA and then to us for payment.

Any questions can direct to Treasure.

Dean R.
LSPR

DG_Rally
08-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I do not have a answer for you at this time, but if someone has a idea we will accept all thoughts.

How about increasing the National entry? They don't seem to be as concerned about entry fees as the Regional people are. We kept this event alive and now it seems we have to chip in for the "big show". Maybe that's not the case but...

EricW
08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
How about increasing the National entry? They don't seem to be as concerned about entry fees as the Regional people are. We kept this event alive and now it seems we have to chip in for the "big show". Maybe that's not the case but...

http://i.imgur.com/RFkDaUj.jpg

TronDD
08-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Boooo. Wrong character.

https://hiringsolved.com/blog/assets/Smykowski1.jpg

EricW
08-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Indeed. fail on my part! ;)

hoche
08-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Holey schnikey. $1100? I haven't raced in that part of the country in years, but...wow.

Hope the economics of that work out for you.

MConte05
08-22-2013, 06:33 PM
Don't entry fees include notes and recce now?

In that case, is that really more expensive than years past? I recall entry always being expensive for LSPR, to the tune of $800-900 then another $185 or so for notes.

deano
08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
The following message is mine and only mine, I do not represent the LSPR Comm.

Guys, Gals, young or old. For those that cannot for one reason or another run this years
LSPR event, I'm sorry. I deal with facts, and the fact is, costs go up. Sponsor money is hard to
come by. We are trying and happy to say That Holiday Stations Stores is on board for the 2nd day event with
some money support. A lot, no, but more then what we had.

I'm not sure who pays the bills in your house, but I can tell you my facts.

Last year we ran an event where the fees should have been higher. We got burned with two rather large
road repair bills, One expected, one was not, that one was very high. First time a Road comm gave us a road repair
bill for roads used in my 30 years.

I took the bills from the last few years, added a bit for % increase just in case. Took road miles for roads we CAN use,(not the road we wish we could use)
divided them out and came up with a fee. Fee was even across the board based on recce, Practice day and notes and insurance and sanction.

Added for oops, and other costs and came up with THE FEE for competitors.

We try to balance it out.

We are not trying to make up for last year, but just have enough to cover the bills this year, and maybe a few bucks for seed money
next year.

For those that have never been involved in the OPERATIONS of an event. Call me, see me, email me, I will let you know the good, the bad and the ugly.

We are up over $50,000.00 budget this year. Where does the money come from, a lot of places. I'm always, just like other events trying to
come up with money to cover these costs.

So for those that can't run but want to work, thank you. For those that can't run, but seem to have something to say ABOUT IT,
I say, come on down, I have a nice hat that says CHAIRMAN on it and happy to pass on to you.

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but deal with the FACTS.

Other wise>>>>>>, well you know,

Again I wrote this by me, for me and those that may not understand the Facts. And I approved this message.

I have been in rally for 30 years, love it, raced it, worked it, and will continue to provide the best possible event
for those that want to RUN, WORK, and WATCH, No matter what.

Dean Rushford,
Rally worker that just happens to be LSPR.

Jim Stevens
08-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Dean:

As someone pointed out above, competitors are getting more included in the entry fee - notes and recce.

You have read SS long enough to know that a lot of people (not all) that post here have little or no investment and experience with your event and some have none in the RA series either.

You have some of the best people, some of the best stages (Passmore and Far Point are two of my favourites) and you can literally taste rally in the October air in the UP.

Keep up the great work - many do appreciate it and some understand. I wish we could be there again.

Jim

psychorallyfreak
08-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Seems to me, the last time there was a needed entry fee increase, people bitched also. Time goes on. Shit gets expensive. It sucks, yes, but there's not much to be done otherwise.

Rally43
09-06-2013, 05:37 AM
I will add to what Dean said on behalf of Magnum Opus Regional Rally. It is very expensive to host an event. Ours in particular was a loss for last year. We were short entries from the previous year and had a budget based on 15 cars, but things like dinner, tshirts and other unforseen expenses put us past the break even point. What most do not realize or remember is that every organizing team and volunteer spend their own money to put on event for fuel setting up the course going to many meetings without ever seeing a dime in return. In our case we started seeing a deficit and cut expenses down to the core. The only other things we could cut would have been the dinner and T-shirts, but we feel the volunteers deserve those 2 things for standing out in the woods all day on their own dime. Small price to pay considering.

There were also hopes of at least handing out fuel money to course opening and sweep, but could not. As organizers we try to keep the entry fees as low as possible with the hope of getting more entries. The road commisions budgets have been hacked by the counties so they do not have expendable funds to repair roads anymore for free. It costs fuel, hourly wages and time on the trucks to repair the roads we tear up. Yes the tourism helps but does not directly go into the counties pockets. Every rally needs your entry. You can find a one time sponsor to help defray the cost of an event.

Every year it gets harder find roads to host a rally. We all have to find ways to make it better for this sport to survive, and support as many events as possible to keep them going.

A huge THANK YOU to all of the volunteers, and organizing staff that make rallies happen.

Tim Maskus
Magnum Opus Chairman

Dante
09-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I will always support rally in the UP, as I have for the last 18 years. Either as a volunteer or a competitor... obviously I would prefer the latter.

I understand costs went way up, and I've been amazed at how some of the other events on the National schedule have dealt with them.

I privately asked one question a couple weeks ago, and have received no replies.

I was just curious on the ratio. Why?

Is there are specific reason for the different ratio?

Here are the numbers.

Regional / National
Sno 900 1850
100AW 900 1750
Oregon 750 1950
STPR 930 1800
NEFR 800 1500
Ojibwe 800 1800

LSPR 1100 1700

Do you see the difference?

Thank you for helping with the continued support of Rally in the Yoop!

As we shall... Press on!