WTB Used Peltor headset [Archive] - SpecialStage Forums

: WTB Used Peltor headset

Cal
04-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Title says it all. Looking for a headset open face, closed face, doesnt matter I can make it work. Would rent as well if the price was right. I can get one new for 139, so looking for something under that. Wouldnt mind repairing one either.
Thanks

Cal

MConte05
04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
FYI the reason you can get one for so cheap is that a lot of them are going to be completely disallowed after December.

EricW
04-08-2013, 09:07 PM
... In RallyAmerica land. NASA hasn't specified any position on the helmet issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mark Holden
04-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Headset vs. Helmet here guys. Cal is just looking for a headset.

I've got an open faced one somewhere. Microphone is dead, which is I believe the typical failure mode for them (so you're not going to be able to find one that had dead earpieces and another with a dead mic and piece them together, most likely).

I can try to dig it up though.

Cal
04-09-2013, 03:42 AM
I could work with a dead mic, so long as all the wiring is there. Ill send you a message. So its a issue with the helmet? I just bought a SA2010 are they going to switch to SAH2010? I figured something like that would happen after I bought a new helmet!:rolleyes:

MConte05
04-09-2013, 04:42 AM
Headset vs. Helmet here guys. Cal is just looking for a headset.

Derp, my bad.

bknblk
04-09-2013, 05:34 AM
I could work with a dead mic, so long as all the wiring is there. Ill send you a message. So its a issue with the helmet? I just bought a SA2010 are they going to switch to SAH2010? I figured something like that would happen after I bought a new helmet!:rolleyes:

Nope, you are fine. the British standard that Many(mine) Peltor helmets are tagged with is going away. SFI and FIA are fine. the BSI didn't have a date and some folks started wringing their hands about it. So ... 10 year old cheap G force = fine, 4 year old $800 Peltor = instant death.

bentmettle
04-09-2013, 07:00 AM
the BSI didn't have a date and some folks started wringing their hands about it.

The -85 in the BSI standard means it was last updated in 1985.

Your helmet may only be a few years old, but the test standard it was built to is over 25 years old.

That may seem acceptable, but if I offered an injured family member the very best medical care from 1985, I suspect most folks would want more more contemporary technology.

johnhuebbe
04-09-2013, 07:32 AM
The -85 in the BSI standard means it was last updated in 1985.

Your helmet may only be a few years old, but the test standard it was built to is over 25 years old.

That may seem acceptable, but if I offered an injured family member the very best medical care from 1985, I suspect most folks would want more more contemporary technology.

Has there been any test done on one of the BS 6658-85 type A/FR Peltor helmets vs. any of the new SA2010 helmets? Just curious.

Mark Holden
04-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Since we've completely left the original topic anyhow (this being specialstage.com after all)...

So ... 10 year old cheap G force = fine, 4 year old $800 Peltor = instant death.

A 10 year old G-Force would have been SA2000 and would no longer be usable (I know, I had one). But you could have had a 15-year old BSI standard helmet and been legal until now.

Snell's 5-year cycle on standards makes for predictable transitions for manufacturers, sanctioning bodies and end-users. FIA & SFI require manufacture dates and expiration of the certification after a certain time period. Without getting into the comparative differences between the standards, which I can't claim to be knowledgeable enough, the BSI standard with no clear termination was bound to cause issues eventually.

Yes, it's frustrating for those who spent the money on brand-new BSI helmets in the last year or so before it came to this, no argument there. I very nearly ordered a BSI standard helmet less than a month before the expiration was announced, but the fact that many US sanctioning bodies (outside of rally) never accepted the BSI standard at all, combined with the fact that it was such an old standard gave me cold feet.

I ended up with a SA2010 (one of the first available) helmet that, while cheap-ish, was 2x what a G-Force would have cost me, and I hate it. Wish I'd just bought a SA2005 G-Force to get me through until the Peltors & Stilos got to the 2010 standard. But yeah, $350 for a year or two of use is a lot more palatable than $800 for the same period.

bknblk
04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
The rolling 10 year (double five year) SFI FIA is nothing but planned obsolescence, to move product, and nothing more. There was quite a bit of talk about what the difference between SA 2005 and SA 2010 really is. I'm from the camp that says a bunch of marketing people sat around and said "We'll its 2008; we better come up with some change for the new standard." Not based on some deficit seen in the real world. Peltor has introduced new models since 1985; do you really think there was no improvement in the safety of those models in the last 25 years? If you want to go by build date, fine, we can argue that. Do you think that the "technology" in a set of FIA G force belts is 250% better than in a set of SFI G Force belts? Really?

It just rustles my jimmies like global warming deniers or HHS and Plan B. Science is Science. Politics and Marketing (same thing really) shouldn't trump. SHOW that these belts are unsafe in 2 years because the tag sewn on them says SFI instead of FIA.

Mark Holden
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Tony, I think you're mis-interpreting what I'm saying.

I'm making no judgments regarding the relative merits of any standard or manufacturer. The Peltor helmets could be better than anything else ever made, that's not the point. The point is that by creating a standard that has no defined time limit (on the specification or the product), there will be uncertainty, and potential for buying/producing a product with a suddenly shortened usable lifespan.

The Snell 5-year cycle at least has the benefit of being predictable for everyone. Various sanctioning bodies can, and do, specify different ages; e.g. SCCA RallyCross, (maybe Solo too?) requires SA/M2000 or newer (15 year cycle), while other programs are SA2005 or newer (10 year cycle, like R-A). You can theoretically have a helmet and use it for 10 years of rally, or at mimimum, 5 years. Maybe there's planned obsolescence in that, but it's not a particularly aggressive one, considering what a helmet may potentially go through in 5-10 years. But you know today that if you buy an SA2005 helmet, barring some huge flaw discovered in the standard, that you will be able to use it for ~3 years, or ~8 years for an SA2010. You see, it avoids the whole "Peltor" situation. Manufactureres can plan for ramping down production of an outgoing model and bringing in the new. Distributors don't get caught with stock that's suddenly worth a fraction of what it was, and consumers don't get stuck buying something at a high price that suddenly loses it's value.

The SFI vs. FIA belts argument really doesn't pertain here. Both clearly define what you're going to get in terms of certifiable lifespan. Whether or not the different timespans are right or wrong is a whole different issue. Do I think that the difference is stupid? Yes, personally, so I got French labels instead of American ones. But you can't buy a set of SFI belts and then be shocked when SFI no longer validates the certification after two years, because that's all they promised you.

bknblk
04-10-2013, 06:23 AM
I think we're good and to make ammends: I have a new peltor aviation headset that I bought of ebay JUST to get the mic. The whole thing new was less than a new mic from 3M. Wrong plug, I might be able to find the bad mic.

Yours if you want it.

johnhuebbe
04-10-2013, 06:29 AM
I think we're good and to make ammends: I have a new peltor aviation headset that I bought of ebay JUST to get the mic. The whole thing new was less than a new mic from 3M. Wrong plug, I might be able to find the bad mic.

Yours if you want it.

Mics are different for aviation vs. what's in a Peltor helmet. (unless you have a helicopter headset, those I believe are the same)

Mark Holden
04-10-2013, 06:48 AM
Mics are different for aviation vs. what's in a Peltor helmet. (unless you have a helicopter headset, those I believe are the same)

I thought the difference was in the impedance of the drivers in the earphones, rather than in the mic?

We should find out the full specs for each and update the Peltor meta thread, probably.

Mark Holden
04-10-2013, 06:49 AM
And to wrap back to the start, I believe Cal is good to go with a helmet/intercom via Kent in another thread, yes?

Cal
04-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Yes I did get set up with the helmet/intercom. I do plan after the end of the year of stripping the headset and transferring it. My understanding is that the sparco has large ear pieces that might not work in a normal helmet setting. So please do make an article about the different style ear pieces and mics since Im sure many will be doing what im doing later this year. Thanks everybody for responding! and thank you Foghorn for the amazing set up!! Im glad I started a thread that is covering new ground sorta haha hope everybody figures out there helmet/intercom situation as well.

Foghorn
04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Shipped. And it's great to see that the helmet will get to ride in a 510. That's how I got my rallying start 41 years ago!

bknblk
04-10-2013, 06:19 PM
It might be a helo... I can check. It's the same mic, proprietary 2 pin, plug and play for a bad one I had on my helmet. Works fine.

granthughes
04-14-2013, 03:47 PM
We have probably 10k retail in brand new unused BS stuff. Or did. Donated a ton to local rallycross

jimmy
04-16-2013, 02:46 AM
This is a classic RYFM.

RA has BSI certification expiring at the end of 2013.
NASA has no expiration (so far).
CARS uses logic and lets you use your BSI within 10 years of its manufacture date (if it has the the production date sticker on it) (11.1.6.c)

Tony, I think you're mis-interpreting what I'm saying.

I'm making no judgments regarding the relative merits of any standard or manufacturer. The Peltor helmets could be better than anything else ever made, that's not the point. The point is that by creating a standard that has no defined time limit (on the specification or the product), there will be uncertainty, and potential for buying/producing a product with a suddenly shortened usable lifespan.

The Snell 5-year cycle at least has the benefit of being predictable for everyone. Various sanctioning bodies can, and do, specify different ages; e.g. SCCA RallyCross, (maybe Solo too?) requires SA/M2000 or newer (15 year cycle), while other programs are SA2005 or newer (10 year cycle, like R-A). You can theoretically have a helmet and use it for 10 years of rally, or at mimimum, 5 years. Maybe there's planned obsolescence in that, but it's not a particularly aggressive one, considering what a helmet may potentially go through in 5-10 years. But you know today that if you buy an SA2005 helmet, barring some huge flaw discovered in the standard, that you will be able to use it for ~3 years, or ~8 years for an SA2010. You see, it avoids the whole "Peltor" situation. Manufactureres can plan for ramping down production of an outgoing model and bringing in the new. Distributors don't get caught with stock that's suddenly worth a fraction of what it was, and consumers don't get stuck buying something at a high price that suddenly loses it's value.

The SFI vs. FIA belts argument really doesn't pertain here. Both clearly define what you're going to get in terms of certifiable lifespan. Whether or not the different timespans are right or wrong is a whole different issue. Do I think that the difference is stupid? Yes, personally, so I got French labels instead of American ones. But you can't buy a set of SFI belts and then be shocked when SFI no longer validates the certification after two years, because that's all they promised you.

press on,