Newb from MN... [Archive] - SpecialStage Forums

: Newb from MN...

russellmn
01-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Hey ya'll! I'm just a newb to stage rally, getting into it through a new project that came through my doors. (I have a small part time business building roll cages, bumpers, etc for Jeeps mainly) Guy I was in the Army with has a rally car, needs to rebuild it or build all new. He's opted to go new and we're gonna start on it this week. 03 WRX, he's open class.

So, I've come here to do my research prior to starting. I've been researching and planning for about 3 weeks now, almost exclusively on the cage part of it. From what I've seen in the FIA rule book, the cages are pretty easy and shouldn't take long. I'm used to having to look at something for a while to decide what's gonna be both strong/safe AND look good. This will be easier, they say a tube goes there, well then let's put a tube there! :p

Anyway, you'll probably see me post up with questions now and then, but most of the time I'm pretty quiet and just searching through old posts to find my answers on my own.

I also won't be surprised if I start building my own stage car in the next year or so... :rolleyes:

Mark Holden
01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Since you already know the MNSubaru crown and ZipTie rally (at least via Chux), you're got a lot of local resources you can connect to already. Are you talking about Izzy with the Open car? It's not someone trying to start out in an Open car, right?

russellmn
01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
The customer has been running open class for a couple years, doesn't want to let it be known he's building a new one yet :D When he's ready for it to be public, I'll put that info out and start posting some pics of it. No, I don't know why he wants to hide it, not my problem though. lol

I do know Izzy and Chux, as well as Izzy's co-dog Standage and will be talking to all of them as much as I can to get info for this build. But I like to get all I can.

Also won't be surprised if I end up building my own open light car in the next year or two...

Mark Holden
01-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Well, I believe Izzy has Carl's old GD chassis sitting somewhere. Go look at that cage and build one just like it. That cage stood up to the car peeling apart at the seams and kept Carl and Dave in one piece.

russellmn
01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Izzy lives about a half hour from me, I'll likely spend a full day looking at Carl's old chassis and taking TONS of pictures.

russellmn
01-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I also won't be surprised if I start building my own stage car in the next year or so... :rolleyes:

Also won't be surprised if I end up building my own open light car in the next year or two...

So if I didn't say it enough. :rolleyes: Yeah, I'm buying a shell from Izzy. 05 STi, needs a roof skin and driver's quarter. Just a bare shell. He's got a quarter on a parts car; '02 2.5rs wiring harness; bugeye hood, bumper, lights; and some spare parts for suspension. Sometime this spring I'll drag it home and seam weld it and toss a cage in it. Go get it logbooked, and then stuff it in a corner 'til I have more time to work on it. (Building a new shop w/attached house this summer) I'm planning to build a dedicated OL car, NOT a stepping stone to Open Class. So, high compression N/A motor, get some rpms out of it if I can... should be fun.

In the meantime, Izzy's co-driver is in Kuwait for a while yet... looks like I'm gonna be sitting in the idiot seat for Magnum Opus and probably a couple more before I can start building. Then I might try to hitch hike a ride this fall once I'm moved in to the new place. Get some more seat time as a co-dog 'til I can get my own rig built. I'm aiming for sometime summer of '13 to get my own car on stage. We'll see if I make it. A lot will depend on how busy I am building cages and chassis for customers. More busy means more money for parts but less time for building...

IzzySTi
01-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Since you already know the MNSubaru crown and ZipTie rally (at least via Chux), you're got a lot of local resources you can connect to already. Are you talking about Izzy with the Open car? It's not someone trying to start out in an Open car, right?

Mark, your a quick one, yes I am building a new car...........

racingboy
01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
In the meantime, Izzy's co-driver is in Kuwait for a while yet... looks like I'm gonna be sitting in the idiot seat for Magnum Opus and probably a couple more before I can start building.

He's going to let you drive? :)

Bob LaFavor

IzzySTi
01-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Bob LaFavor

HA HA, NO, we'll get his car built, he can drive that! He meant the Crazy seat, I like my Idiot seat!

russellmn
01-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Bob LaFavor

Looking for the "like" button!!! lol

racingboy
01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
I've been in both.....all of my bad decisions (short cutting across lakes, etc) have been made from the left seat, not the right!

Bob LaFavor

IzzySTi
01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
funny, I have the same problem...........

Doorman
02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Hello fellow Minnesoooootans, any idea on local area rallies coming up for some viewership?
I'm gonna do some checking, but I appreciate it coming from guys in the "know"!
Thanks, Cameron

carl
02-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Nemadji Trail will be the first MN rally. It should be on the Rally America website very soon. Magnum Opus in MI in April if you consider that local (I do). Or 100AW next weekend in MO (still local in the grand scheme of things)

Doorman
02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Thanks Carl(?), I'll keep my eyes open on RA's website. Seeing the grandparents next weekend
otherwise I'd swing down there (100AW). Very cool too see your team did well at Sno Drift!
Cameron