Not entirely "new", but needed a proper introduction [Archive] - SpecialStage Forums

: Not entirely "new", but needed a proper introduction

VentureCrew35
07-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Technically I've been a member of SS for nearly a year (really? Has it been that long?), but I never took the time to introduce myself here. I've been logging in and reading with increasing regularity lately, so I figured I'd take the time to remedy this. I've had the pleasure of meeting some of you in person already, and for those who have welcomed me into the sport and helped me along the way, a thousand thank yous. The rally community is incredible.

For those I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting, hello, my name is Steve. My direct involvement in racing began a few years ago when the Boy Scout Venture Crew I'm in charge of decided to build a desert race truck (Dust to Glory was to blame). Ran my first race in '09 co-driving part of a 1000 mile desert race in Nevada (not in the Scout truck, mind. That project is still ongoing). Due to the lack of deserts here in New England, I decided to go check out the Team O'Neil rally in 2010. Prior to the event I knew absolutely noting about stage rally. After the event I was hooked and began looking for other events to attend. Mark Everett suggested I look into volunteering for NEFR, so a few of my scouts and I went and worked it as course marshals. Thanks to that event I became facebook friends with Pete Hascher. When Pete posted he was looking for people to crew at BRS, I immediately volunteered. Went to BRS, crewed for Pete and the newly formed Tag Rally Sport, and met legendary co-driver Brian Johnson. Brian mentioned he was towing Erika Detota's car out to Prescott for that rally the following weekend. I said I wished I could do that and he invited me to come along. Volunteered, went to Arizona, met El Blendero, met some guy rallying a big yellow desert truck, realized I was doomed to love this sport.

Justin and Greasecar are a few miles up the road from me, and fortunately he's been among the most welcoming and friendly people I've met, so I got the opportunity to start off this year crewing a few events for him. He was then generous enough to give my my first shot as a rally co-driver at the Lanark Highlands rally. Man, was that a thrill. There's a lot of common ground between desert and rally, but at the same time its a completely different experience. Anyway, came back from Lanark even more hopelessly in love with the sport. I got my second chance in the right seat at NEFR with Rory Gardiner (another byproduct of chance circumstance and dumb luck on my part), the summary of which is as follows: I held up a "HI MOM" sign on shakedown, lost my dinosaur, lost a helmet, gained some friends, didn't get enough sleep, learned screaming notes at the top of my lungs is no substitute for an intercom, found my dinosaur, got interviewed about my dinosaur, finished my first national event, and can't wait to do it all over again (hopefully without the "losing a helmet" bit next time).

Anyway, that's the story of my hopeless downward spiral into the inescapable world of rally. I'm pretty much doomed to be a part of this sport whenever and wherever possible now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you to everyone.

By the way, have you met Bacon the Dinosaur (http://www.facebook.com/baconthedinosaur) yet? We're still trying to figure out where he ran off to during NEFR. He disappeared from Joseph Burke's car Thursday night and mysteriously showed up in Bill Petrow's car Saturday afternoon. Everything between that is a mystery and Bacon's not willing to explain himself.

DatsunZguy
07-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Scouting and Rally -- Great Combination!
I have always thought that the two had many aspects in common: the great outdoors, all weather, press on regardless, think on your feet, be prepared, etc. Welcome to the madness!:D Former Scoutmaster and Explorer Post leader here.

VentureCrew35
07-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Scouting and Rally -- Great Combination!
I have always thought that the two had many aspects in common: the great outdoors, all weather, press on regardless, think on your feet, be prepared, etc. Welcome to the madness!:D Former Scoutmaster and Explorer Post leader here.

The South Australia stop on the Australian national rally circuit is actually hosted and run by the Boy Scouts, which I think is seriously awesome. Our council has a scout reservation which is no longer being used due to operational costs. I'm working on convincing them to host a rally sprint there.

DatsunZguy
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
The South Australia stop on the Australian national rally circuit is actually hosted and run by the Boy Scouts, which I think is seriously awesome. Our council has a scout reservation which is no longer being used due to operational costs. I'm working on convincing them to host a rally sprint there.

Amazing to hear about the Australian Scouting/rally tie-in!!! The Rally New York organizers have developed a relationship with the Ten Mile River Scout Reservation including having multiple stages run on the property, road renovation and new construction, and radio repeater siting. When I was a kid my troop went there several summers, so it was very interesting to go back there as an adult to work the rallies.

Abington Rally
08-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Welcome Steve,
Glad you found your way to SpecialStage, lots of good info and people on here. Also nice to meet you and Rory at NEFR and glad I could help with my vicegrips!

-Dan