New titles for 2003 (and beyond) [Archive] - SpecialStage Forums

: New titles for 2003 (and beyond)

Peter Parsonage
11-14-2002, 09:50 PM
I'm sure we could come up with some totaly worthless and useless trophies for some new titles (like a collection of broken glass from Janusz's Talon).

How about some friendly competition between AB & BC (just for fun).

Put your suggestions to this thread and we'll see what surfaces. I have 2 suggestions to start the ball rolling.

How about a team competition? Before the start of each rally, each region nominates up to 3 entries for their "team" (from their region now, no cheating allowed). The teams score according to their class scores and only one nomination from each class.

Another option is for a novice award. The recipient must have competed in no more than 1 stage event (as a driver) prior to the season. Winner is determined by the highest accumilation of class points.

hehe: I just love the "off season" it's a time to make merry and put the wind up the competition with stories about next year's car.

Morison
11-14-2002, 10:11 PM
I like it ... a piece of genuine Komorowski Talon glass set in some bondo. We could give them out as partcipant recognition to all the drivers, co-drivers, service crew, marshalls etc.
It would be nice for the first while, but with the supplies currently available, people may tire of them in a few years ;-)

Keith

Mkosterman
11-14-2002, 10:39 PM
I think one of Bud's mufflers would make a great trophy.

warwick
11-14-2002, 10:49 PM
This is an interesting thread...I was just thinking about stuff like this. I think there should be a Western Canada year-end banquet or something...alternating between AB and BC each year. There could be the awards presentations for the series, plus some extra awards. I had some ideas...

"Most Professional Team" - team who conducts themselves in the most professional manner...could include image, conduct, accessability to public, etc. This would have a good side benefit that it would raise the whole image of the sport as every team strove to be more professional.

"Rookie/Novice Driver of the Year" - as said above. Best first year driver. Not necessarily the one with the most points (some young/first year drivers can't afford to run whole series), but the driver who shows maturity, talented driving, and a professional attitude. Someone who shows potential to shine in the coming years.

"Rookie/Novice Co-Driver of the Year" - same as above...but applied to co-driver. Hard to judge.

"Community Service Award" - something to recognize a person/team who actively uses their car to 'do good'...promote alternatives to street racing, raise money for ALS, etc.

"Rally Recognition Award" - awarded to someone who stands out in their efforts to promote and progress the sport of rally. This would recognize those event organizers, marketing people, journalists, etc who put their heart, soul, and time into make the sport better.

Anyways...those are some ideas I had as serious ideas. We could also have:

"Golden Shovel Award" - for the team who finds themselves in the ditch the most.

"Turtle Wax Award" - for the team who best applies the slow-and-steady approach to rallying.

"The Andrew Tilston Award" - if a person can prep a car from stock to performance spec faster than him, they deserve an award!

Oh yeah...almost forgot the "Salvation Army Award" - given to Budd Stanley each year in recognition of donating so many spare parts to the sweep teams.

rallyTT
11-15-2002, 04:38 AM
wicked! An award named after me! I'm all for it ;) And I challenge anyone to start prepping there car the weekend before their first event!

Any takers? Warwick? DO IT!!! ;)

Peter Parsonage
11-15-2002, 07:59 AM
>I think one of Bud's mufflers would make a great trophy.

So many to choose from :)

Shawn
11-15-2002, 01:53 PM
>This is an interesting thread...I was just thinking about
>stuff like this. I think there should be a Western Canada
>year-end banquet or something...alternating between AB and
>BC each year. There could be the awards presentations for
>the series, plus some extra awards. I had some ideas...
>

I think this is a great idea! We could start with Alberta, as the CARS national AGM is in Calgary on January 11, 2003 (at the Blackfoot Inn)and I know Dave Sharp is planning on presenting the awards at the luncheon.

Shawn

teamanager
11-18-2002, 02:05 PM
I'd like to pick up on the suggestion for team awards, but slant it towards the TSD rallies. How about an award for the team of three cars accumulating the most points in the BC Rally Championship over the year ? "Teams" could nominate three crews, with maybe two alternate members in case someone couldn't do all the series. In order to encourage some newcomers, we could require every team to include at least one novice crew. It might create some interesting regional rivalries - teams from Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, Kamloops etc. :9

Peter Parsonage
11-18-2002, 03:56 PM
>I'd like to pick up on the suggestion for team awards, but
>slant it towards the TSD rallies. How about an award for
>the team of three cars accumulating the most points in the
>BC Rally Championship over the year ? "Teams" could
>nominate three crews, with maybe two alternate members in
>case someone couldn't do all the series. In order to
>encourage some newcomers, we could require every team to
>include at least one novice crew. It might create some
>interesting regional rivalries - teams from Vancouver,
>Victoria, Nanaimo, Kamloops etc. :9

I like the idea of including a novice crew. It encourages the better teams to coach and encourage the newbies. What if we made it compulsory to only have one crew from each class?

teamanager
11-18-2002, 07:05 PM
Hmm...one from each class might be a little difficult, as a) there aren't often very many unlimited cars in the TSD's, and b) the team I have in mind includes two novice cars. :) How about no more than one "unlimited" car per team ? (hmmm...I need to get Roy Lima to move to Kamloops !)

Ren

rlima
11-18-2002, 07:36 PM
I also like the idea of having a novice crew as part of a team. Great for growth of the sport as it has a better chance than in the Pro-Rally arena.
As for me moving to Kamloops? ... Ren, my wife tells me my lips always get too dry every time I go through there ;)
I guess I've climatized to a being "coaltal wussy" x(
I do miss the snows of Manitoba though.

Roy

Peter Parsonage
11-18-2002, 09:22 PM
> How about no more than one "unlimited" car per team ?

I think that works too.

teamanager
11-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Roy...we couldn't have that, could we ? All the same, with a team limited to one Unlimited Class car, and requiring at least one novice crew, a top rated "Calculator" class crew would be very much in demand ! I think a "team" challenge like this would keep a lot of mid field runners quite involved in the series as a whole.

Ren. :D

Peter Parsonage
11-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Not to mention Paper and Historic classes.

teamanager
11-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Yes - I tend to forget those. A top ranked Historic crew would be just as valuable. Paper might be stretching things to be competitive.

Ren

Peter Parsonage
11-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Well, that depends on how the points are accumulated.

If we base it on overall positions then Paper and Novice would be at a disadvantage as they probably don't make it into the overall points positions very often.

If it was done on class points then everyone will contribute equally. Class points would create a much closer competition throughout the year. Something would have to be decided to act as a tie breaker.

rlima
11-20-2002, 06:10 PM
It all depends on how this would be set up.
If the main idea is for each area to run as a "team" with one assigned crew per class then which classes will qualify?
Some areas may not have enough different classes to fill the quota. For example, there are no Unlimited teams on Vancouver Island.

As we all know any system is not perfect and can be abused if one looks hard enough.
There are differently experienced novice teams such as one that just started and one that is running on their last novice event for the year with 4 or 5 events already run.

Thinking about the class aspect of this I can't come up with a way to make each area represented as fairly as possible.

Just my .02 Portuguese centavos
(.02 x .0068965 = .0001379 cents CDN)
(.02 x .005 = .0001 EU)

Roy

Peter Parsonage
11-20-2002, 06:35 PM
When I started the thread it was geared more towards the regions in stage competition.

For TSD, I think it makes more sense to allow teams to select themselves from where ever they may come from. Three crews make a team. Teams must compete in 3 different classes at each event. One class must be Novice.

So for a team entirely from the island you could have Novice, Paper and Calc or switch Paper or Calc for Historic. If you win your classes, you will have beaten all other teams in that event.

Now when I raced in the intermark series for Ferrari (Ferrari vs Porsche vs Aston Martin) our team captain was allowed to nominate his scoring drivers at each event. He would then have the choice of picking from his group the people he thought stood the best chance in each class. The teams could look very different at each race as some people were better suited to certain race tracks. He was allowed to pick anyone but if he chose only unlimited cars and they got a 1,2,3 that was not as effective as picking three 1st place in class drivers.

It added some spice to the season and was a lot of fun.

teamanager
11-21-2002, 11:03 AM
You're ahead of me again, Peter. Scoring by class position does make every member of the team as important as the others. Clearly teams would benefit most from entering their crews in different classes. Having said that, teams with two cars in one class would be at a small disadvantage, so it wouldn't matter if we had any other restrictions other than to require at least one novice crew in each team. (To encourage newcomers and make them feel a valuable part of the rally scene).

Ren

bwende
11-22-2002, 01:48 PM
how about a title of: "most decals on a rally car"?

just one idea!

brian

rlima
11-22-2002, 02:46 PM
An award for most stickers?????
No ... no ... no
After I spent 2 days taking all of mine off a couple of years ago x(
They were creating too much drag :+

How about an award for most 360's in one event? ;)

Roy

Peter Parsonage
11-22-2002, 04:25 PM
We should just hand that trophy over to you at the start of the season :P

teamanager
11-25-2002, 05:44 PM
re Roy's concern about teams from each area...teams could only be three cars at any one event. My concept would be that the teams would organise themselves, not necessarily by area. Teams should nominate their three principal crews at the beginning of the season, with one or two "stand in" crews for the events where one or more of the regular crews are unable to run for whatever reason. Either way, only three cars to count at any one event, even if the substitites are also entered. Final team selection for each event to be made before the start, so that you cannot choose the three best after the rally. This is similar to the way the Manufacturers designate their crews for Manufacturers points before each WRC event.

With Paper, Calculator, Unlimited, Novice and Historic classes, it should not be hard to put something together. The only restriction to team make-up should be the inclusion of at least one novice crew at each event. (No novice crew, then the team can only count two sets of points).

In Kamloops we would nominate one unlimited class crew and two novice crews. We would have one alternate crew, also a novice crew. With luck, after a couple of seasons, we would be able to widen our selection to cover Calculator and/or Paper, too. (I don't see a Historic car on the horizon, but that could happen too). Hmm, how long before our ancient RX becomes a historic car ? Too long, I think.}>