Special Stage Forums banner

The Lon Peterson Arrow

8K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  DynoDon 
#1 ·
Since there have been some posts and comments about Lonnie's Arrow, and I came across some photos today, I thought I'd post a little. The firs Arrow that Lon drove was originally built by Pat McMahon with my help. Pat rallied it a while and then sold it to me. I updated some stuff and drove it with Pat Co-Driving to the Southern Pacific Co-Driver's championship in 1985. I got the factory Mitsubishi Starion that Steve Millen drove to a win at Indio for 86 and we ended up running both cars in 86. I ended up selling the Arrow to Cheryl Love and Lon and Jim Love drove it to another Championship. The Starion went to George Daland when I went Off Road Truck racing and I'm pretty sure that Bill Gutzman ended up with both of those cars.

Pat at Carlsbad circa 1984

Me in the car at Rim of the World around 1986

The Starion that replaced the Arrow

Lonnie's Rally Car before the Arrow, with a slight toe in problem

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't know about in your part of the country, but I know in New England they are pretty much extinct. I tried to find one a few years ago to build a bracket racer for a 340 I got in a trade and couldn't find one locally after about a year of searching. Don't know about places outside of the RustBelt but I've always thought they were one of the better looking small cars of the era.

#4 ·
The Mitsubishi Lancer Celeste was first imported in late 1975 as a 76 model Plymouth Arrow. The Fire Arrow which had the 2.6 liter, 5 speed and 4 wheel disc's came along in 78. 1980 was the final year for the Arrow. I occasionally see one on the road here in California.

#5 · (Edited)

This is Peter Workum going through the cut at Prescott '00 the second time. I know this was one of Lon's old cars, but unsure if it the same car as in the previous photos.

I used to drive a '77 Arrow as a street vehicle back in my college days. I felt it was waaaaay too tail-happy. Fun car to flog the snot out of otherwise.

#7 ·
Well there are two one being built in our garage halfway done and one that Pat drives now and then...and when he parks its on the street...there is always a note from someone who wants to buy it.....

We are going to rally again the Celeste....the wiring is done along with the roll cage and a couple of other things done but a slow process ....

#9 · (Edited)
Don and I maintained the Arrow and Starion in a shop in Santa Ana fueled by equal parts Coors Light,Miami Vice,Heavy Metal (Judas Priest/Iron Maiden),Air Guitar and the occasional Greekburger for nourishment. In a weak moment we talked Rod (and later) Steve Millen into renting the shop a few doors down. Team VDS Can Am operation was in the next building. Adding Kiwi mischief to the mix made it even more entertaining. geez that was a quarter century ago. If I live another ten years I should REALLY be able to stretch the truth about those days....

Pat McMahon

P.S. if Don wants to restore the Starion it's available. I actually have parts from it and my original Arrow on the car I'm building...

#12 ·
And let's not forget the crazy Sprint car guys that used to drink a case of Coors, push start the Sprint Car, make a couple of passes down the street and then drink more Coors.
Or Brian Stewart (Ivan's son) and his class 8 and rally truck a couple of building over.
And Burrell's Ribs at 2:00 in the morning, the only white guys in there :eek:
Ahhhh, Good Times

#13 ·
I see we have a picture of the oft-rumored,rarely seen Lon Peterson rally cross Arrow. He told everyone he sold it because Mike Gibeault told him it was not CRS legal for Production class,but we all knew the V-8,skinny front tires and limited suspension travel made it inappropriate for California roads.

"Ain't no substitute for cubic inches"

I'm sure Mad Mike has some historical (hysterical?) anecdotal reference for this somewhere in his files...

Pat McMahon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.