Safety Devices Cage
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safety Devices Cage

Default Safety Devices Cage

Has anyone built/assembled a Safety Devices cage? I see they are highly respected in Europe, and they are supposedly FIA homologated if you send in pictures and a weld sample which would then make them Rally America legal. Has anyone had any experience with them?

The pictures on their site look like they have a pretty good fit and finish. I am looking specifically at one for a GC8.

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsp...roof/461/1286/

Stable Energies in New Jersey claims they can get them, and I am still waiting to hear back with a quote.
    Last edited by lxndr1291; 07-21-2016 at 05:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lxndr1291 View Post
    Has anyone built/assembled a Safety Devices cage? I see they are highly respected in Europe, and they are supposedly FIA homologated if you send in pictures and a weld sample which would then make them Rally America legal. Has anyone had any experience with them?

The pictures on their site look like they have a pretty good fit and finish. I am looking specifically at one for a GC8.

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsp...roof/461/1286/

Stable Energies in New Jersey claims they can get them, and I am still waiting to hear back with a quote.
    i had.
    and it was for GC8 as well.
    came from California if i remember correctly and was fairly cheap. i think something like $1500
    main hoop w/laterals/gassets was welded and the rest of the tubes were loose notched in one end.
    also with all the footings and gussets.
    took couple weeks to install/weld in because it was a pain in the ars to notch all the other ends lol
    otherwise all good and passed the tech.
    hope this helps

Last edited by Alex; 07-21-2016 at 09:01 AM.

That helps a lot. Is there any chance you have more photos? Also, did you follow steps to get it FIA homologated by sending stuff back to Safety Devices? Lastly, do you remember from whom in California you ordered it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I had a Safety Devices cage that I got from Stable Energies in my first car, and it was a great cage. It look 3 different rolls before I finally did it in, and that was only because we hit a huge tree. The cage itself was fixable, but the rest of the shell was pretty much beyond hope. So that's the good part... the thing that concerns me about your situation is that your car is no longer homologated. Ergo, the cage is no longer homologated under FIA rules if it was homologated by the FIA. However, it's much more likely that it was homologated by the RAC/MSA, which is the FIA ASN in the UK, just like the ACCUS in the US. I would ask Stable Energies if they can get you a copy of the front page of the homologation for so you can see who homologated it. The reason for that is this (from the NASA rulebook):
    An FIA approved roll cage (with either FIA homologation certificates or ASN homologation certificates). The homologation of any such rollcage must be current with the date of logbook issue. [emphasis added].
    This is much clearer than the RA wording, which just says: 1. Safety cages homologated by the FIA or a recognized ASN.
    The RA rule could be interpreted in one of two ways. The first is that the cage has to be homologated as of the day of the rally that you entering (the strictest interpretation), or that if it was ever homologated, it's OK. The official interpretation is probably somewhere in between, and along the lines of the written NASA rule, but I would contact both sanctioning bodies and ask (and not just for this year, but for the foreseeable future). Even if you only want to run in one sanctioning bodies events (a bad idea in my personal opinion), you might want to sell the car someday, so you should build for both. Assuming that the cage was homologated by the RAC/MSA, then you'll need to find out if it's still current and when (if ever) it will expire, which they should be able to tell you if you give them a call.

The bad thing about Safety Devices cages is that they are not inexpensive, so if you buy a homologated cage (which will probably have CDS or T45 tubing in it that has a slightly thinner wall than would be required in a "cookbook" cage out of the RA or NASA rulebook), you could be stuck with a very expensive pile of scrap. The other thing to be aware of is that even though the ends are profiled, that's really just to give you an idea of what the final end should look like. The cage will probably require some hand fitting, just like any other cage.

One other thing to consider is that at one time you could specify the wall thickness that you wanted on the tubes, though I think that option went away when they started manufacturing the kits in Poland. If you want to do hill climbs or some other motorsports events with the car, you might want to consider that, because not all sanctioning bodies will accept an FIA homologation.

--
    John
    Last edited by John Sundelin; 07-21-2016 at 07:46 PM.

the cage pictured looks like the Safe Drives kit manufactured by Auto-Power. http://www.autopowerindustries.com/R...001?syear=2000

as for the homoligated cage. the Safety devices cage is missing bars that are required for NA rally (main hoop X and A-Pillar support) any experiance with scrutineering with out these? it the homoligation enough to get through tech? Can a hololigated cage be upgraded with these bars and still be certified?

The first cage pictured won't fly here without the required bars and I doubt it is FIA certified probably just British cert of some sort. You can't modify a homologated cage and retain homolgation.

my cage complies with FIA requirements and yes it looks exactly like the one pictured on autopower webpage minus sill bars on the very bottom.
    kit came with them but since they were not required by the rules i didn't bother welding them in.

Last edited by Alex; 08-09-2016 at 10:13 AM.

+ Reply to Thread