Special Stage Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanted: All safety gear required

10K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  RichardM 
#1 ·
Pretty much all I have is a motorcycle helmet at the moment and I'm trying to get into rally so I'm looking for pretty much everything. Hans, suit, gloves, shoes, helmet, and anything else that is required for stage. I'm a size medium helmet, 12.5 or 13 shoes, 5' 11" 165 pounds with a 32" waist so whatever suit size will fit that, and large or xlarge gloves. Anything else that's needed please let me know so I can be prepared early.

#3 ·
Kiddo, all this fancy schmantzy gear is requirer for rally--in the woods in cars with cages..

Not needed for grass-o-cross..
More importantly, all the old dinosaur guys who haveprobably PMed you warinng what an evil person i am probably didn't mention in the frenzy that ALL those safety things have expiration dates..

You buy a bunch of stuff NOW and there's a good chance it will all be nearing expriation by time you a) have a car
b) have done enough practice with the car to make it worthwhile to tow 860 miles and spend 6$600-800 for an entry fee..

You see what I'm attempting to say?
Imagine POOF! a prepped GOOD club level rally materialize right NOW.

Ok? And imagine there was (yeah imagine) a nearby real rally...this week end

Some--and they are full of sh*t--would say "go ahead--enter the event"

Now presuming you have to pay for things, would you think its wise to enter?

Your answer tells your future.

You buy your stuff that has expiration dates at the latest possible times and when you order---use a high volume outlet like Day Racing there in Tex because they have a much higher liklihood of having fresher stuff--with newer MFG dates, which means a longer time before the stuff---at least according to some---disintergrates and falls like ashes to the ground and is blown away on a slight breeze the moment its 3 years old..or whatever..

More than one person has gotten a total of about 3 events at about 1.5 hours per event for a year total about 4.5 hours and thus about a dozen hours on belts before they are judged worthless. Same with other junk..

Last minute..

The fact that, like EVERY other noob you are eager to buy completely un-needed things at this point--and that nobody bothered to tell why you shouldn't says something about how well people look out for noobs...

Be vary wary.. THEY don't care if you waste money.

#5 ·
What He said: Don't need gloves or Shoes, Not hard to borrow for your first couple events. My stuff has done almost twice as many rallies as I have.

#9 ·
I am the person who will tell you that lots of time john can safely be ignored. Notice above how many words he used to say not very much including some that was wrong. I am also in Texas and a long time rally organizer. Feel free to contact me either via pm or e-mail.

#10 ·
I am the person who will tell you that lots of time john can safely be ignored. Notice above how many words he used to say not very much including some that was wrong. I am also in Texas and a long time rally organizer*. Feel free to contact me either via pm or e-mail.
And I'm the one that says this ancient shriveled bitter electrical engineer is one who gives Texas the reputation for not just bullshitting and lord know Texas is famous for that ---but for stupid and pointless lying----and in this caseand carrying on a PM and Email vendetta for at least 20 years..

I will concede since I spend virtually all my time making things---much of it for rally guys--- and the 3 different US or Canadian sanctioning bodies all have continually changing interpretations of their own rules --and what gets enforced ,
it IS difficult to follow changes.. Often it seems they make things up from sheer boredom.
plus ça change....

The main idea kid is BE FUCKING CAREFUL with anything that has a date on it..

SOME things expire, some don't here but do elsewhere, some things expire but not enforced Its a farce.

The people making up rules can and do change their minds --presuming they have one...

*that right there comes under the heading "stretching the the truth past recognition" because the things he claims to have "organiswed" were hardly organised and were travesties as rallies--according to those who competed at the time. Outrageous and scandalous were words that popped up frequently....and yet he brags about it.

But thats a long time ago.... best forgotten...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.