Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class

I've gotten my gearbox codes finally all decoded and sorted. Got rid of the stock box from the turbo 1.8 in the GTi, and the TT 6-speed box, with its rear output, and much heavier weight.

I've secured a second 5 speed Golf/Jetta box with the code I wanted. And gotten rid of one that had gear ratios I just couldn't use.

I now have two boxes that are both 02J with the "EGT" code. This gives me the following gear ratios;

1: 3.778, 2: 2.118, 3: 1.36, 4: 1.029, 5: 0.837. Final: 4.235

Using the following calculation site; http://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx , I found my shift points will be approximately;

29 mph, 52 mph, 81 mph, 107 mph, and 131 mph.

If I change out 4th and 5th from an "EUQ" code box, I can change the shifts to 100 and 124 respectively.

My question would be in regards to Rally Sprints; would the stock numbers be fine, or should I change out 4th and 5th when I have the box apart to install the lsd?

It feels like the 7 mph difference in both high gears really wouldn't matter much. What would make a difference I feel, would be switching just the 3rd gear set, and changing that shift point from 81 down to 75. Nut then again, I feel like allowing the car to stretch the extra 6 mph in 3rd makes sense, with the speed numbers I have seen posted in stage reports.

All numbers were set using a 6,000 shift point to keep the turbo spooling, and a 7,000 rev limiter in place to protect the motor.

After some more playing with the numbers, if I set the shift point and shift light at 6,400; I can get shift points at:

30, 55, 85, and 114. That seems like pretty good speeds for both RallyCross and RallySprints.
    Because Racecar...

The first rule of Racecar, is that we do not talk about Racecar.

Stage Five:

After paying attention to all of the constructive criticism on multiple sites, I have finally secured a set of five 15" alloys that clearance the GTi brakes. Sizing is 15" x 6", and is a stock golf/jetta wheel, so offset was not an issue.

I will be using DMack DMG2 tires in a 185/70/15 sizing. Picking up a set of 5, so I will have a spare mounted on board. Keeping my eyes open for another set of wheels, so I can mount a set of snow tires for differing conditions. Probably going to use either Firestone Winterforce, or Hankook tires for those.

While installing the wheels, I also did the wheel stud conversion at the same time. Hardened steel studs, with enough length to allow up to 20mm spacers, if ever needed with different wheel/tire choices.
    Because Racecar...

After 7 long months of budgeting, parts scrounging; wrenching; and having a shop do the engine swap... the car runs. First event for the CFR region is 01/28-01/29. Drivers school on saturday, with a test and tune "No points" event on Sunday.
    Because Racecar...

4. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

AWESOME!! You still need to sort out the picture thing, btw...

I need to convert to studs as well. I've been running nothing but cheap stealies for the last 4 years and it wasn't that big of a deal - last night put on some Sparco rims and what a PITA to get them lined up. Add it to my list.

Can't wait to hear how the first event goes!

Pat

Been working on the pic posting issues with the Admin, this week. Hopefully, will be able to edit posts to add photos along the way.
    Because Racecar...

Made it to the drivers school on 01/29, and the test and tune on 01/30. Was very happy with the performance of the car overall. Came in 11th out of 21 drivers total. If it had not been for three missed gates (same one on each of my first 3 runs), I would have been in 8th.
    Last edited by DanielSL; 02-02-2017 at 04:00 AM.
    Because Racecar...

+ Reply to Thread