Special Stage Forums banner

Rideau Lakes route book

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jcwconsult 
#1 ·
Hello from Jim Walker, former competitor in the 1970s in US and Canadian events - mostly in a big yellow 142 Volvo. I would like to get a copy of a Rideau Lakes route book. The 1973 edition would be ideal, but any from the 1970s would be appreciated. I want to plan a trip through the area and drive some of the roads - though perhaps a bit more sedately than when we cleaned 3 stages at or below the target times. :) jcwconsult@aol.com

#2 ·
Hi Jim;

Doug Woods might be your best bet for finding a route book, but I do have scans of the maps (and the tulips for a couple of the stages near Desert Lake) from the '74 route book.

In '74, stages 1-5 were between Smith's Falls, Carleton Place and Maberly, followed by a long transit to Bancroft.
Stages 8-12 were stages in the area of the Tall Pines, 13-20 were the same loop with one addition (the current Middle Old Hastings stage), and 21 and 22 were variations in the Egan Creek complex as part of the long transit back to Smith's Falls.
Stages 23-26 were between Smith's Falls and Maberly. Stages 27-31 were a loop out of Maberly including the stages that interested me - 29 Desert Lake (now the James Wilson Road) and 30 - Devil Lake (Devil Lake Road).
Stages 32-37 were on a loop north out of Maberly through Poland and Tatlock.
Stages 38-40 were short ones on the run back from Maberly to Smith's Falls.

If you want, I can send the scans to your e-mail. The JPEGs only amount to about 1.4MB. The maps aren't great quality, but it should be no problem to find the roads on a better map.

Adrian

#4 ·
Hi Jim;

<snip>
If you want, I can send the scans to your e-mail. The JPEGs only amount to about 1.4MB. The maps aren't great quality, but it should be no problem to find the roads on a better map.
Adrian
Hi Adrian,

That would be very kind of you, and the jpeg's would likely be enough. We used a similar technique with a detailed French atlas to find all the Monte Carlo stages. At the top of the Col de Turini, we stopped at a lodge for a coffee and were the only people in the dining room. The manager had been there for a long time and knew all the top competitors from several decades past from their stops during recee runs - including a number like Markku Alen and Sandro Munari who I had met in North America. We had a delightful conversation with my wife as the translator.

Regards,

Jim Walker jcwconsult@aol.com

#3 ·
You may want to talk to the folks from Motorsports of Ottawa as well. Someone, it may have well been Doug, had hard copies of route books from that era at Lanark this year. Somewhere there's a photo or two of them floating around, but I can't seem to find it right now.

You may also want to track down Randy Graves (Rally Graves on F.B.). He has a bunch of info from the 1974 edition posted on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rwgraves/sets/72157640983740484/

#6 ·
The maps from Adrian are great and are very clear. It will be easy to find the route on another area map.

Does anyone know what the name is of the road that was the stage called "White Mountain Road" in 1973? It was run twice that year in the same direction and has a series of 3 jumps. The road drops away after the third jump and it is possible to be airborne for quite awhile IF you jump it perfectly straight.

Jim Walker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.