Super 7/Locost...Engine and tranny ideas - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super 7/Locost...Engine and tranny ideas

Default RE: Super 7/Locost...Engine and tranny ideas

If you were in Europe, I'd suggest a 16v Fiat/Lancia 2.0L Twin-Cam. Since you're not, I'd have to agree with John V. - Get a nice Ford. The rotary would probably be lots of fun - but it just wouldn't feel (or sound) right.

John B.

>If you were in Europe, I'd suggest a 16v Fiat/Lancia 2.0L
    >Twin-Cam. Since you're not, I'd have to agree with John V.
    >- Get a nice Ford. The rotary would probably be lots of fun
    >- but it just wouldn't feel (or sound) right.

The rotary would feel too torquey probably!

And it would weigh way too much for such a light car, once you factor in the necessarily large cooling systems and drivetrain bits. Might as well use a Ford 302 or Ford 2.3 Turbo "tank engine"! And then you go further into the "too torquey" issue.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought "Mmm, perfect for a Zetec" (130hp). Of course, the Duratech is lighter, but it's not as available in the junkyards.

How about a suzuki swift DOHC 1.3 liter? Stock is 100 hp. 110 to 120 are easy with improved touring type modifications (ie, cheap and easy engine mods).

The long block assembly weighs about 70 lbs. The tranny weighs another 70 lbs. With fuel injection, alternator, etc, you are looking at about 200 to 220 lbs total. Another 30 lbs gets you a turbo and 200 hp (requires more engine work, though). Lots of other goofy stuff, too (like throwing the DOHC head on the 1.6 liter block, etc.)

Of course, thats with a fwd tranny. You could snag a tranny out of geo tracker or suzuki samurai (I believe there is a rwd only gearbox, but I could be wrong, at the very least you can use the 4wd box modified for rwd). These boxes don't weigh much more than the swift box.

A road racer stuck a swift engine (SOHC, same block) in a sports racer, and mated it to a hewland gearbox....

http://csl.forcefed4.com/engdone.JPG

yeah..i've seen the bike engined ones....but...a bike engine that has enough grunt to get a +/- 1000 LB car moving is fairly pricey. Were talking something at least 1000CC's. Up here even bikes that have been layed down are expensive, and i don't want no "hot" bike motor. My main concern with the bike engines/trannies is the clutch. i think the extra lbs of the car are going to do a number on the bike clutch.

After some research. i like the Duratech idea...but they seem pricey?? How much is one of those things gonna run me...assuming i can go find a piled up ranger or something along those lines.

Right now the ideas floating around in my head are:

Duratech....but i'm unsure of the $$$$ figures

Find a Rusted out POS RWD Car. Use the motor, tranny, brakes, wheels, suspension bits and pieces, steering column, master cylinder, steering rack...Blah blah blah. I figure possible cars up here would be RWD Corolla GTS, 1st Gen RX7 (2nd gen had apex seal problems), 240 (i think these motor are heavy). I figure a running POS like these might run me $1,000 cdn.

I had thought of using a Honda Motor. As atleast around here ZC motors are stupid easy to come by, and make like 120 hp. Or you could find a B16. But then i thought and it seems like they all spin the wrong direction (or atleast i think they do).

Budget is a concern. I'd much rather spend money on the rally car, but i'd like the 7 as a play around/summer/track/scare the piss outta friends car. I dunno if it's possible, but all i can see myself spending on the drivetrain part of the car would be around $1,000 cdn.

The chassis, i can build at work in my spare time (beats reading the paper), and it will basically be free, aside from the suspension components.

>How about a suzuki swift DOHC 1.3 liter? Stock is 100 hp.
    >110 to 120 are easy with improved touring type modifications
    >(ie, cheap and easy engine mods).
    >
    >The long block assembly weighs about 70 lbs. The tranny
    >weighs another 70 lbs. With fuel injection, alternator,
    >etc, you are looking at about 200 to 220 lbs total. Another
    >30 lbs gets you a turbo and 200 hp (requires more engine
    >work, though). Lots of other goofy stuff, too (like
    >throwing the DOHC head on the 1.6 liter block, etc.)
    >
    >Of course, thats with a fwd tranny. You could snag a tranny
    >out of geo tracker or suzuki samurai (I believe there is a
    >rwd only gearbox, but I could be wrong, at the very least
    >you can use the 4wd box modified for rwd). These boxes
    >don't weigh much more than the swift box.

Thanks for reminding me of an idea I had a couple years ago, when unemployed and fantasizing how much fun I could have with the slightest smidgen of cash...

Basically, make a "Locost" frame, except *mid* engined, using the 1.0l 3-cylinder from a handy rusted out $100 Geo Metro. Use the entire front driveline and control arms. Replace the struts with control arms (Heim-jointed to the knuckles' upper ears' lower boltholes) and put coil-overs on it (attached to the ears' upper boltholes). The front suspension is "standard Locost" aka you're on your own.

Something like a maybe 80-85" wheelbase seemed about right. Only 50 or so HP, but hell, it'd probably weigh under 1000lb with driver.

S2000 Honda
    rz
    www.randyzimmer.com
    NEXT?
    RallyCross is Kool

>
    >I had thought of using a Honda Motor. As atleast around
    >here ZC motors are stupid easy to come by, and make like 120
    >hp. Or you could find a B16. But then i thought and it
    >seems like they all spin the wrong direction (or atleast i
    >think they do).
    >
    >
    >
    G-Force has a reverse rotation transmission, driveshaft spins opposite of the motor, so honda engines can be installed with conventional rwd components.
    http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gf5r-rev.asp

I'd stick with a 4AGE engine, possibly 20 valve depending on budget, with a t-50 trans. Reliable, eager to rev, decent power (112 -180 stock depending on choice), tons of parts, CHEAP!_

IIRC, GrassRoots Motorsports magazine had an article a couple of months ago in which they built a Super 7 / Locost type car using a Mazda Miata as the donor. Should be pretty easy to get one cheaply.

IIRC, Stalkers (www.stalkerv6.com) use a GM/Chevy S10/S15 V6 donor car / running gear.

And, just for fun, I remember reading about a Super 7 type car with twin Hyabusa engines, twin gearboxes, and twin shift levers. Stupid, sick fast, and makes some interesting tire mark swirl patterns when you put one gearbox in first and the other in reverse and let her rip.

HTH.

================================================== ===========================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
    Sponsors : www.VwSpecialties.com www.Parts4VWs.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

>I'd stick with a 4AGE engine, possibly 20 valve depending on
    >budget,

The 20V head has zero advantages over the 16V. It was just a marketing excercise.

The 20V has a much nicer intake manifold, though... and it can be adapted to the 16V head.

+ Reply to Thread