Very loose surface driving technique questions - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very loose surface driving technique questions

I'm not sure if this helps the conversation, but in college I asked a similar question. Why slide a car in rally, when clearly there is less traction while sliding? The answer from was this: "In off-road racing, the driving slides the car because the grip is constant. Instead of worrying about which moments he is about to lose traction in an unpredictable way, he slides the car, so this friction is constant, allowing him attack the cornering and be in control the whole time" I summed that up, but you get the point.

Instead of worrying about breaking loose, which can be very hard to do on slippery surfaces, his theory was to just do the whole race at a constant kinetic friction level, and be consistent. Food for thought, not sure if that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by desant78 View Post
    I'm not sure if this helps the conversation, but in college I asked a similar question. Why slide a car in rally, when clearly there is less traction while sliding? The answer from was this: "In off-road racing, the driving slides the car because the grip is constant. Instead of worrying about which moments he is about to lose traction in an unpredictable way, he slides the car, so this friction is constant, allowing him attack the cornering and be in control the whole time" I summed that up, but you get the point.

Instead of worrying about breaking loose, which can be very hard to do on slippery surfaces, his theory was to just do the whole race at a constant kinetic friction level, and be consistent. Food for thought, not sure if that helps!
    Just don't try to use this as the excuse for why you were sideways in the snow when you see the blue lights behind you...trust me.

I've always thought this is a great primer that ACP wrote a while ago.

http://www.oldrallysport.on.ca/articles/Driving.html
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

4. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

No one mentioned slip angles of the tires. Some tires are manufactured with more slip than others. For example a dirt track car has optimum grip at 40º+ of slip angle, a road racing saloon car about 6-8º and an F1 car at about 2º.
    P. Ferreira

+ Reply to Thread