Special Stage Forums banner

Maxxis Rally Tire R19 now available

27K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  Andrew Comrie Picard 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That's great Ritchie. Will you be sponsoring any series, events or drivers? What about contingency awards for competitors?

#3 ·
HI Wvonkessler,

We currently sponsor The Honda Team and Evan Cline in Rally America. We set the price for the rally Tire low so we do not have much marketing dollars. We were getting request that there wasn't enough Rally Tire option at a decent price. That was the only reason we brought it in. So we just want to gain traction in the Rally community since it is now available.

Thanks
Ritche

#4 ·
Thank you for a no bullshit answer Ritchie. May I suggest that you seek to lower the price even more? Also thank you for supporting individual drivers.

Wilson

#6 ·
Steve, Unfortunately, we are only bringing in 3 sizes and all of them are 15". If you can fit 15" wheels please give the R19 a try.

Wilson, In order to provide free shipping to everyone we priced it where it is at. The tires are very durable which means they are also very heavy. I just sent someone in the west coast from our CA warehouse and the cost was around the mid 30's for each. Imagine sending it across country.

Thanks
-Ritche

#7 ·

Wilson, In order to provide free shipping to everyone we priced it where it is at. The tires are very durable which means they are also very heavy. I just sent someone in the west coast from our CA warehouse and the cost was around the mid 30's for each. Imagine sending it across country.

Thanks
-Ritche
Ritche, I've bolded what was missing from your initial ad ;) That is a big deal and a good price for the tire. You should have the competitors that use your tires post their thoughts on the forum :D

#9 ·
Kind of confused on which tire would suit LSPR/100AW conditions. Where it's hardpacked to sandy type conditions, but temperatures usually in the low 40-60*.

What takes precedence? Temperature or road condition?

BTW, thank you very much for having guides like that and the grooving guides publicly available!

#10 ·
HiTempguy- I thought if people go on to the site they will notice the free shipping . I'll work on getting those review from them. If you have any particular questions I can ask them directly and post the answer online.

ISRengine - Maxxis U.S. and Maxxis Canada is separate, however as of right now they have no intention of bringing it in Canada.

Mconte05- Basically it is really based on the temperature the tire will be subjected to. If the tire can potentially get really hot, Go with the hard and if the tire temperature isn't that hot go with the soft.

Thank you all for your comments. Please help me spread the word about the R19.

Thanks,
-Ritche

#11 ·
We have also had the oppurtunity to test these tires in a 195 size in Soft and Hard compount at 100AW as well as STPR in our Open Light car and G2. I can not remember exactly what compound Evan used but I want to say Hard and he had great success with it in both wear and results as you can find on RA. For us we used soft compund at 100AW and Hard compund on a G2 car and wear was even and grip was great, no issues. At STPR we used softs only on Saturday all day and also did not have any issues with them. In past we have used Dmack, Silverstone, Michellin and now Maxxis, for the price including shipping I would buy them and run them without any issues.

Hope this helps.
Sam

#12 ·
Sorry as I dont spend much time on the forum but here is my testimony for the AWESOME Maxxis Tires. I race a 05 SP Class Subaru STI in both National and Central Regional RA events. We have tested these tires at 100AW and STPR this year. We used the soft tires at 100AW and the hard tires at STPR. Our overall results for 100AW were 7th and 5th for STPR, 4th and 3rd overall in SP class. We are currently undefeated in the central region using these tires winning overall, SP class and the Honey Jar Challenge. I will also state I had my first ever gravel event with a speed factor of above 80 (82.48) with these tires in hard compound at STPR this year. Our car has been the same since the start of the 2012 season so we can't say its the car.

1. These tires are easy to mount and get the bead to pop on. For any of you who mount your own tires on an older machine this is a very good benefit to have as there is no point of having a horrible tire that get the bead to sit.

2. The tires wore absolutely awesome for how grippy they are. The wear was similar to Yoko or BFG, but the grip was SO MUCH better.

3. The compounds are a bit different than other tires. I would use the softs for temps below 60-65 and the hards for events above 65-70 degrees F.

4. The hard compounds are not hard like other brands, more like a medium compound from Yoko or BFG.

5. Prices are the best bang for the buck. I have never used the DMack tires as I saw what happened first hand to several top SP and open teams that tried them in 2012. All other options are much more expensive. I recall a certain SP team at OTR in 2013 that had DMack tires delaminate after 1 stage and later on that rally they destroyed their brand new SP class Subaru. Having a tire that keeps you on the road is very essential!!!! or I should say this is a "priceless" option.

6. The handling is AWESOME. These had great lateral and forward grip. Most tires have one or the other. I used mostly Yoko A035 in the past and these tires are so much better.

7. Bottomline these tires made me a faster driver. The consitent grip of the tire gave me a confidence I had not had in the past.

I will also say these tires worked so well that I even switched my mountain bikes to Maxxis tires.

As a top seeded driver in the RA series I cannot even explain that these are a great tire for any level of driver in North American Rally. I am not a sponsored driver for Maxxis I just simply did some tire testing for them to try to bring new tires companies to our sport. If you are in need of new tires for your next event I highly recommend trying the Maxxis tires out. You will not be disappointed.

-Evan Cline

#15 ·
Any plans for a 175/70/R15 size, esp. for the 2WD drivers? The tread pattern (with one less diagonal row than DMack) seems interesting...I used Maxxis tires in a few Baja 1000 races (albeit on a motorcycle) and liked the durability/grip. They seemed to have their compound characteristics dialed in. Thanks.

#18 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am bumping this post to remind everyone that they can get Maxxis directly Hassle free on our Estore http://shop.maxxis.com/c/automotive_victra-r19 . Oregon Trail rally had many competitor running the Maxxis R19 and they have been very happy with them. Their is a great review on Grassroots Motorsport May issue of the R19 for those who are curious about them. For those who has driven on the Maxxis please post your review of the tire to help others out.

Let me know if you have any question.

Thanks,
Ritche

#19 ·
Hi Everyone!

I finally got the chance to try out the Maxxis R19 rally tire at Oregon Trail Rally and all I can say is WOW! I am a racer on a budget so we ran on them without any prior testing and they proved to be amazing on all grip factors. They had excellent braking grip going into the high speed chicanes on Saturday's stages and the lateral grip on Sunday on the tight stages was stellar as well. We were running the 205 hard compound and had excellent results. The tires wore really well throughout the whole event and we will run these tires again going into Olympus in two weeks as a national entry. This was only my fourth gravel rally and the Maxxis R19 gave me the confidence not only to win both days Regionals, but to place third overall on the National/Regional combined results. We were running hot temp pressures at 28psi and the tires always had great grip and excellent feedback. Not only are the tires great but their service is as well, I ordered an extra pair on Thursday before the event and they showed up Tuesday morning, only three days later. OTR had many competitors running Maxxis tires and from what I heard the Maxxis performed well for everyone.

Jeff Seehorn
Seehorn Rally Team
RA #56

#20 ·
Still trying to find out if I can get away with a 185 tire on a 7" rim. I could with a BFG, but I have seen (though I'm skeptical on what I saw) a maxxis 185 being stretched pretty bad on a 7" wheel.

Anyone with 1st hand experience? I'll probably just buy one 185 and see how it fits before buying 5 more.

#22 ·
Jeff, you ran a HARD compound?

If so, that is impressive. My understanding is that going to a soft compound is worth close to a sec/mile if the individual knows how to drive (which it seems you do, and is a pretty ringing endorsement of the Maxxis tire IMO).

How was the wear and tear on the Maxxis? Will you be running the ones you used at Oregon again at Olympus, or just keep them as spares?

#23 · (Edited)
YES we were on a hard compound! They felt really good on both swept and unswept roads. On sunday's second passes through the stages a soft compound would have been better but these felt great on the hard pack and wore great. The last three stages were 4th fastest on SS16, 3rd Fastest on SS17, and 2nd Fastest on SS18. On SS18 we beat Yeoman by 2 seconds! They really had good traction on the hard pack even with the hard which is more of a medium compound.

We only used one complete set and had taken 6 to the event, all hard compound. On summit II I think I burped a right front on a hard left where the pavement ended into gravel and the tire was 8 psi low before the control, so we swapped in the spare then paired it with the another new going into SS11 and 12. The tire is still holding, so it wasn't a puncture. The tread is wore down maybe 20% on four of them and the edges are rounded a bit, but I think we will use them up on the hard pack stages at Olympus after they become swept. I am going to start Olympus off on a new set of 4 hards and see how long they go. We still have 2 that look really good and will use those at Olympus as well. I really want to test the softs, but on our budget we are going for longevity and Olympus will be much harder on tires from what we learned last year.

#25 ·
Maxxis supports the rally community by selling directly to the racer. This strategy allows Maxxis to provide low pricing, and to manage inventory so that racers will have access to the tires they need. We offer FREE shipping on the R19 tire, sold directly through our eStore. Neither a retread nor a recap, the R19 is designed to attack even the toughest rally stages. From extensive feedback and from back-to-back testing against other top brands, we know that the R19 delivers the performance you need

#29 ·
Maxxis supports the rally community by selling directly to the racer. This strategy allows Maxxis to provide low pricing
I just wanted to point out, that even with the shipping charge, it's cheaper to buy these tires from Demon Tweeks. I bet if you did a big group buy, they'd be considerably cheaper.

#26 ·
Is Maxxis planning any type of contingency program?
Are you planning to attend any events to promote or provide service to your customers?
Rally companies appear and disappear regularly so maybe direct to customer is the format we should have anyhow.

Side note: I hunted down one of my cage customers at his first event, Rally Idaho to see how his day was going. He said it felt really squirrelly and loose but he was having fun. Asked what pressures he was running. 35 psi. Gave him some suggestions and he had much better results from then on. You would be surprised how many times I've seen new people start out and even do an entire event with way too much pressure because no one told them otherwise.

#27 ·
I get where you are going with this. But its tires man.

there's really only what 5 brands in the US? BFG (or are they done?) Maxxis, DMack, Pireli , Yokohamas , oh and black rockets,

And there's gonna be the fastest tire money can buy (BFG) and the rest in descending order... (not exactly sure what that is )

Maxxis, Pireli , Dmack, Yoko ?? competitors (should anyways) look at the tires as what's the best i can afford ? and pick accordingly . Hey if i had the choice of which tire to buy from which vendor that would be great. i would always buy the fastest tire i could afford from the Rally shop that was closet to me.

Guy Light, or Grants, or from Justin Carver again, but now i want to try out Maxxis tires.. its not like he can supply those all of a sudden.

I'm not very happy with Dmack tires. i found the Mediums to be very greasy and lack "feel / grip level communication" . I set better times than with Silverstones, but had a very hard time judging grip level. i think the Hard compound would have solved that (event temps was 105 F Air and hotter 'track' temp) but again, Justin can't really order a whole pallet of Hards in 1 size because i want to try 4 of them...

and i can't really be expected to pass up a better for my situation product, just to keep my business with a rally person.

I'll pay an extra 5$ or 10$ over summit racing (which is only 10 minutes away from me) to do business with a rally person.

But i won't buy a worse product for my need, Just to do business with a rally person, nor should anyone else really.

#32 ·
Hey - just want to weigh in here. I'm impressed with Maxxis' efforts. The execs came to several rallies and decided to bring the tires in and sell direct. That's a lot of research and commitment. I know James Robinson and Evan Cline tested them a lot and had good experiences - both those guys have run on a lot of brands and know the differences.

I'm a BFG man through and through, but I'm giving Maxxis an "A" for getting into the market. They should be supported.

ACP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.