Special Stage Forums banner

RNY Rallysprint: more entries please!

8K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  Liviu 
#1 ·
Kind of a low turn out so far, how about a few more entries? This is last day for early entry fee.

I really do not want to get sprayed with Champagne again, the dry cleaning bills are bustin my rally budget..... ;)

Come on people this will be a great event for NEFR shakedown.

Cheers

#3 ·
these roads will certainly beat the piss out of your car. I'm not sure though that even if you finish #1 that you'll get your entry money back, and $495 just seems to high of a cost for what you're getting with this event to me, $10/mile plus the cost to get there and back, no exposure/spectators, it really is just a shakedown type event.

#4 ·
I love the rallysprint format. It baffles me that more people are not taking advantage. Yes, cost per mile may be high, but consider that you can do a 50-mile event in ONE day, including recce and minimal transits. Heck, you can leave home on Friday and return Saturday, instead of having to take three days (or more) away from work for a big event. For the budget racer it's a winner format and I don't understand why more people don't sign up. I'll be there!

#9 ·
not sure where that comment is aimed at Robert. this event was great last fall as a shakedown for my car and first event for me. the roads were knowingly beat up from Irene even with the great work the crews did ahead of time, perhaps there are some improvements for this summer event but even if not they're rally roads, it wasn't a complaint, just a statement. No trees yet thank goodness.

my original post didn't serve to put down, just provide my opinion, there is little variation in the roads you race and the cost is high for me to drag the car from VT for a 1 day event. It costs me less total to haul to WV and race HyperFest where there are 10k people and lots of other things going on as well.

#10 ·
Of course, if some of you don't find the RNY Sprint to be cost effective or too rough for your tastes you could see what happens on the other side and work the event.
Don't wait until you're old and grey like me to finally pay back for your fun.
Worker registration opens at 7AM Saturday.
JimB

#19 ·
Negative, competitors will never come back to run this event because of the organizer person (yes, it is only one person). I could go on and on with a list of competitors that have the same reason. I will not co-drive these events ever again as long as this person runs them. I gave it one more chance last spring after 4 years absence and regret my decision highly because of how my team was treated by Mr Orisek immediately after the event and whole USRC board afterwords.

I hope the story will come up shortly as I know World Rally Sport is working on that, so it is all provided to public.

Safety - when the event had people like Mike Cosgrove, Fran Gager, Steve Gottlieb and the whole RHFD involved, there was very minor delays and no safety issues as far as I know. Now, these people have left the RNY organization and that makes it absolutely horrible.

#21 ·
Agreed with Tom, too bad most of the people will not work again for the rally... It's very sad that the actions that we inquired and protested about, were just to put more money in the pocket.

Tom,
as far as all above, we (competitors) really appreciate the work done at the event and hoping that they will continue to be involved with the rally somehow.

#22 · (Edited)
I'm referring to 2006 and earlier Rally NYs when there were 40+ teams. Cosgrove was a mere driver. Big entries dismayed by both the organizer, cancelled stages, stage intrusions, phantom chicanes, relocated timing controls, podiums before scoring finished declaring incorrect winners, ..... More potential returning competitors were lost during those days than the handful of the remaining 2 handfulls of die-hards or newbs who don't know anything else.

#26 ·
Ancient history to me... I was not even rallying back then. I think my son might have done a radio gig around 2006 or so..... Times and people have changed since then. Rally NY - for better or worse, like Ivan or not - runs a very structured rally. Almost no canceled stages - Look at Rock Hill - Heavily populated area - 1600 homes impacted...... No canceled stages .... and a very good "on time" performance.... for all stages. Like a wise man once said - you can't move forward if you're always looking back..... So True....

#25 ·
Between the logistics, personalities, liability, and scarcity of resources its amazing the sport of stage rally even exist. Every rally, and every rally event team, has its ups and downs. The challenge then becomes how long you can enjoy the ups and tolerate the downs. Everyone's intent is to run a great event, but it doesn't always turn out that way. Many many thanks to people who have helped run great events, and no so great events, over the years--without your help the sport would not happen. I have 5 events left in me and I want to insure I have the most fun I can while running them.

PAX

#28 · (Edited)
Radio communications does not stop local traffic from driving down a hot stage. 2006 was the third hesitant chance. Glad some things seem to have been sorted out recently, but still saying that for the 'seasoned' competitors who are still around and I believe for NASA sanctioning as well which really helped draw entries, 2006 was the third strike in a row at RallyNY.

There are several rallies I am/have volunteered to support this season (Hyperfest, Rally WV & Tall Pines). But like a wise man once said - You can't fix Ivan.

#31 · (Edited)
Ivan is Ivan.... we all know that.... He runs a well structured rally and rally season. He bends over backwards to work with competitors.

Then again, I'm a pretty well seasoned "net control", a long time competitor, and have both my rally cars registered in WV, which makes me a local, but I'm still "Banned" From competing in RWV.... Go Figure... :)

Was Net Control for Rally Rock Hill (Rally New York) and competed this weekend in the RNY Rally sprint - Both events went off without a hitch. Ivan is Ivan - I'm not going to debate that, but for RWV to ban a competitor for speaking up last year is not right... It's completely "done in" my participation in NASA events this year.

Say what you will about Ivan, but his events run the stages that he publicizes, runs them on time, and has almost no stages canceled (especially when I'm doing Net... ) You can not say that about RWV.....

So - Ivan +10..... RWV - Go figure...

Dave--- you disagree, then come out to RNY Walton in August as my guest.. I'll put you up at my mountain cabin - and you can see that things have changed since the mid-2000's.....

#29 · (Edited)
I can only speak to what i've seen since our first event, IRNY back in 2011. There have been minimal issues I've seen as a competitor. The organizers and workers work hard to keep the event moving, and with lots of helpful information before and during the event. There've been a couple times stages were transited or a non-rally related incident delayed a stage, but these were reasonably handled. We've worked other organizations' events in the past; the delays/reasons were all similar in nature. These are real roads, not some track, delays happen.

Safety has not been an issue from our end, and reasonable measures have been put in place. Every rally organization I've worked at has had issues at one time or another. But this thread isn't supposed to be about each organization's bad juju. We can start another thread about that if you want.

What we're here to talk about is the RNY RallySprint! I for one am happy to see that entries have increased. For once, it looks like we may see more evos than subarus ;). This is not a hit on subarus, just that there's going to be some good competition at this event. I'd also like to think that Toltec and Black Box are responsible for bringing the PAWD class back. There's as many PAWD entries as AWD teams.

1 Keith Liggett, Scott Beliveau | Ford Focus 2000 2WD
2 Ivan Orisek, Olga Orisek | Subaru Impreza WRX 2000 PAWD, I&O Associates Mortgage Corp.
3 Joao Ferreira, Seth Achilles | VW GTi 2000 2WD
4 Alvin Fong, Billy Machin | Mitsubishi Evo 9 2000 PAWD blackboxrally.com
5 Michael O'Leary, John O'Leary | Mitsubishi Evo 10 2000 PAWD
6 Niall Johnson, Daniela Manago | Subaru Impreza WRX 2000 PAWD
7 Aidan McCormack, Kieran McElhinney | Mitsubishi Evo 6 2000 AWD McCormack Contracting Inc.
8 Danny O'Brien, James McKiernan | Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2500 AWD Midtown Concrete Corp.
9 Enda McCormack, Bernard Farrell | Mitsubishi Evo 6 2000 AWD McCormack Contracting Inc.
10 Cyril Kearney, Caitlyn Kearney | Subaru Impreza WRX 2000 AWD
11 Thomas Barton, Joachim Sandgaard | Mitsubishi EVO 4 2000 PAWD
12 Martin Donnelly, TBA | Mitsubishi Evo 9 2000 AWD

https://www.rallies.info/webentry/2012/newyorksumsp/entries.php?type=u

#30 ·
One of the best RNY Rally Sprints I've ever attended. Sure the camp roads are a bit rough, but surely no worse than many of the NEFR stages. Another "On-Time" event, good coordination amongst the workers and radio folks. Transits were really laid out nicely, with enough time to spare to stop in at service (free service - no time controls) and visit crew and get a bottle of water - then on to the next stage... 8 stages - none canceled. My first real stage rally with the EVO 4, quite a bit different from the FWD Mazda... and Joachim's first time co-driving - he did great, even if his side of the car got a bit close to trees at times (The EVO is RHD, I'm still trying to figure out where the other side of the car is.. ). We both had a blast. If you're within a few hours drive of Sullivan County NY, and did not come out to compete, you really missed a great event.

Big thanks to all the volunteers that came out and made this event a success.

#34 ·
i can only say the last two RNY event we did run, we had no issues with ANY orgenizer what so ever. I am going to have a rally fun , not to hang out with the orgenizers. Bad or not, that is why i am there. have FUN. And we had fun in RNY. I really like the competitors and the workers. These are the people i actually met at the events. Sure i see the orgenizers but the interact with them is very limited for me. Since i am on teh stages etc.
So i just want to put it here, The last two event i had 0 issue in RNY and a ton of fun!

We will be back asap for us. (as ususal finence is not our strong point LOL )

Rob

#36 ·
Dave is being Dave again!

Dave has been fixated on RNY for years, his constant need to bash RNY & Ivan to the exclusion of other far less than perfect events & organizers seems unhealthy & disturbing ! Why Dave does this is between him & whatever mental health professional he is seeing (or perhaps should be), but one thing is for certain bringing his personal little war with RNY or Ivan to a public forum is not helping to improve the sport!
Tom only pointed a few problems that have come up at Rallies other than RNY, these are the things that should not be discussed in a forum like this! These forums are scanned by insurance companies & anti-Rally residents as well as those of us that love the sport & WORK to HELP make it SAFER & MORE FUN for everyone!
Dave if you take Tom up on his offer & go to Walton try not to park in the wrong place & get stuck in the mud!
Neil & Peter I agree with both of you!

#38 ·
These forums are scanned by insurance companies & anti-Rally residents as well as those of us that love the sport & WORK to HELP make it SAFER & MORE FUN for everyone!
Hence all the more reason not to launch into personal attacks. We vote with our entry fees/volunteer time, so let's leave it at that.

That being said, I'm glad things went well, and it's a shame a wedding had to ruin my chance to get up to watch it.

#44 ·
I have been running course opening and more recently checkered flag for RNY since 2005. Throughout my tenure as a volunteer, I have watched the organization and venues improve with each passing year. Even the weather improved for the rally sprint—none of the usual snow, hail or hurricane induced rain—it was gorgeous for the first time in memory.
Having driven Mortimer Schiff in the Scout Camp in at least 8 different events, I can say with certainty it was in the best condition ever. The upper section was widened and graded providing a surface that I have never seen before. I didn’t find the two areas where logging is going on an issue, someone must have graded the road because I went through just fine and my car is 51 years old….
As for organization; it was typical RNY, well planned and on time.

#40 ·
Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself, despite our suspension problem. It was my first attempt at co-driving, and I enjoyed it. Learned a lot. Everyone was great. Events like this are epic undertakings to administer, thank you to Ivan and Olga for taking the time to do it. I had fun, and would not hesitate to do another one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.