Special Stage Forums banner

Would you prefer a 1 or 2 day event for magnum Opus Rally in 2013 ? ( 2 Regionals )

On behalf of the Magnum Opus organizing team. THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  deano 
#1 ·
Finally getting to breathe and take a moment to thank EVERYONE who worked, volunteered or competed in our first running of the Magnum Opus rally in over 10 years in an all new location. From the time we started talking about this last fall to this weekend, we have had nothing but positive comments from everyone. The local Newberry area, our sponsors, fans and volunteers did an amazing job. We recognize that each one of our volunteers sacrifices their time and family to volunteer at these events as well as a financial burden just to come watch people play in teh woods for an afternoon, but understand that we could not have done this event without you. We were surrounded by very professional people this weekend and teh Magnum Opus team thanks you from the bottom of our hearts !

Community members in the area today are commenting how professional and well mannered everyone was and have been asking us if we are bringing them back next year ! The answer to that is YES !

We will be choosing new roads and coming up with more ideas to make it even more fun. We recognize serveral key items to improve on next year and appreciate everyones suggestions at the awards dinner about what to do next year.

Looking forward to serving all of you next year and again THANK YOU from all of the Magnum Opus Pro Rally Staff !

See less See more
#2 ·
Still undecided.

Having Sunday morning before we went home to drive up and check out the falls via some rustic routing was a rare treat for a rally weekend.

Do you think entries would still be capped at say 25 or 30 if it was a two day?

I'm dragging a bit today at work, but I've never been to a rally before without using vacation time and it's awesome!

#3 ·
First: Thanks to everyone that helped put this race on. It was awesome. These roads were perfect to drive on after not having been behind the wheel for a couple years. Despite the fact that they were wicked fast they were also easy to read, wide, predictable surface, and just plain fun. I thoroughly enjoyed them!

I voted for a 1 day event because I like the fact that it keeps costs down and keeps it sorta relaxed. Similar to Matt, its nice not to have to burn up vacation time. I ended up needing to use a couple days to help prep the car anyway but it still saved me a day from being away from my work, wife, and kids.

However, I could get behind a two day event. I imagine Silas and I would each drive one event. It would be really awesome if Friday the stages were out of Newberry and Saturday they were out of Munising. Plenty of great roads to go around.
r
For what its worth. The turn around stages are cool. It seems like a huge lull in the action when you're waiting to run the stage again but hanging around shooting the bull with your buddies beats transiting in a car with no cruse control, radio, or AC.

In all likelihood we'll be back next year no matter what the format. For us its a nice short tow and a good interval away from a Nemadji or LSPR. Simply put, its hard to pass up. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

#4 ·
Great event! Thanks to Tim, and Curt, and the rest of the crew. It came together so well in such a short time.

I was chatting with Doug Shepherd during the Super Special (I suggested he may have had the fastest time). We both agreed that the location was ideal. Centrally located between the western UP rallyists and the down-staters (trolls). It was also reasonably convenient for the Minnesota/ Wisconsin folks.

I voted for two days - but will be happy with any format you choose. Build it and we will come!

#5 ·
We had a great time, our crew loved having service, parc expose and super special all in one spot, that was very convinient. Also having food there was great. Event was very low pressure and gave us oppurtunity to improve on our driving and thought me how to read roads better. Simply put very enjoyable weekend, can't wait for next year. We will for sure be back next year, if it is only one day or two day event. Thank you all very much for this great event!

#7 ·
Wanted to add a thank you for the vegetarian lasagna option that was available as well. Most after parties limit a vegetarian option to a salad at the awards.

I voted for a 1 day event. Adding more miles to a day is a possibility over adding another day similar to LSPR which can handle 100 stage miles in a day.

With a single day format and repeat stages, is a one (or better yet two) pass recce considered? Something similar to Black Bear where they have 4 stages that are run twice each. Friday night is 2 pass recce of two stages, Saturday morning is 2 pass recce of the other stages. You would 100% get my entry next year if we could do a single day with a 2-pass recce and notes creation.

#8 ·
I vote for more fish.

I was up camping from Thursday through Monday (no bears Mark) (and thanks to Colin & Nancy for a room and shower Saturday after the party, so I didn't have to drive back out to the woods). There are a lot of other not stupid fast roads out there. Ate dinner Sunday at Pine Stump Junction. Went to places I haven't been since 1974 POR (didn't find any Fiat doors.........).

Any number of days - what say you Steve?

press on,

#13 ·
Excellent feedback so far. Would also be interested in hearing from workers, if you're out there, on the 1 vs 2 days.

I was somewhat of a doubter on the fairgrounds when we were planning this, but it really worked well. Service, food, parc expose, RA Store, Super Specials, scoring, and net control all on 1 site was nice. Maybe we can add a jump next year :cool:

#19 ·
Excellent feedback so far. Would also be interested in hearing from workers, if you're out there, on the 1 vs 2 days.
As a potential worker (sorry I wasn't able to make it this year even though I wanted to but I had previously committed to run a half marathon with my daughter that weekend) and as a retiree by this fall my wife and I will not have a time constraint for one day or two. We'll probably spend extra time in the area at Tahquamenon and Whitefish Point anyway. So either schedule will work for us.

#14 ·
First off, I'm glad to see that there was a positive response for another Michigan rally. From what I saw, the stages looked awesome. If the only car lost was the one on the super special (that had to suck for them!), then it must not have been terribly treacherous. The road conditions were great and the scenery is fantastic near Superior. I had a lot of fun getting around.

That being said, I have two suggestions that would ensure I would come back and spectate if I wasn’t going to participate.

Better layout for the super special. I’m sure organizers were working with the best they could. I’d just like to see a slightly more challenging course. A WOT circle is kind of Nascar-ish. The thought of a jump – that’d be stellar.

Better spectator guide. There was no information about the stages other than road conditions on the bulletin board. There was no public information regarding the stage order, when they started, where they were. It would have been nice to know this stuff. Then again, I’m the rouge spectator that organizers hate because I show up to places they don’t want me to be. Not that I’ve ever caused a problem. Along the same lines, I talked to a few of the locals who didn’t really have any idea what was going on. All they had to go with was that map thing with directions to the spectator area. Even a few of the marshals on course I ran into weren’t fully aware of what was going on. Although they were having a good time and said they’d volunteer again.

I do want to say thank you for putting this event together. I kept wanting to complain while I was at the event because it wasn’t as good as Sno*Drift or LSPR, but I had to keep in mind that this is the first time this has been run. I’m sure it will only get better. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

Regarding the poll, I think every rally should be at least 2-days!

#16 · (Edited)
As a first-time Start/Finish control worker, I had a great time. Will be back for sure next year, regardless of 1- or 2-day event (edit: I am only 2 hrs from Newberry, so easy drive over either way). Really looking forward to helping more in 2013. Have already started filling up a plastic tub to keep in my Jeep with "items every good rally worker should have". :D

While we may have spun our wheels a bit to convert from Finish 3 to Start 4, it was a learning experience for us (including 3 first-timers), and I am sure having turn-around stages next year would be fine. It was cool seeing all the cars lined up waiting for the start of SS4 & 8, I wish I would have had some time to chat with the teams a bit.

The worker info supplied by John Fishbeck was great, I am still looking thru everything and re-reading it.

In addition to the convenience of all the things Curt mentioned at the fairgrounds, I think it was great having HQ, tech inspection, worker pickup & banquet all along that short stretch of M123. The parking lot at Ace Hardware was plenty big enuf to set-up a couple of worker "wagon trains".

And in regards to the items Dan listed above, I am sure a proper guide could be put together for 2013. Also saw your mention of marshal knowledge, although that could be attributed to some of them being first-time rallyists, in time things will make more sense. Your suggestions are noted for next year.

#17 ·
I had a lot of fun working and I hope to be back in a car to compete for next year.

My preference would be for a long one-day event for a number of reasons. The proximity of the event to rallyists in downstate MI, the UP, WI, and some of MN make it possible to tow over after lunch/work on friday, do a late reg/tech friday night, race all day on saturday (9am - midnight), then tow home on sunday without getting back super late. Basically minimize lost work time / vacation time used, and maximize the number of quality stage miles.

If part of the purpose of this event is to help create a MI regional rally championship, creating an event that is as economical as possible to enter is something to consider. Also, with the idea of a MI rally championship in mind, first priority should be the "local" entrants and not the few "non-local" competitors that would only come if it was a two day event. No offense meant to people further away from the event, you can still come if you want to, but my view on one of the major benefits of this event (which may be completely wrong) is the ability to create a meaningful, sustainable, and competitive rally championship in the upper midwest. Like a midwest maxattack (without the payouts, and with those silly awd things allowed too) where everyone can afford to compete in every event so that the winners are those who drove the fastest, not towed the most. And with a quick mental count of the number of active/recently active rally cars in the downstate MI, UP, WI, and MN area, it should be possible to get 35-40 "local" regional cars entered in an event like this, and I think a key part of getting numbers like that is the creation of a regional rally championship that is accessible and competitive. To me, the RA central region championship is too many events and too spread out for average rally types that run 2-4 events per year to be able to contend with any vigor.

Unless the two-day event had some epic mileage, like 150, an 80+ mile single day event is more economical, from my perspective, than a 120ish mile two-day event after you factor in the additional entry fee, lost work time / vacation, and extra hotel rooms. And money saved on all those things is more money that can be spent on fixing what you broke in the previous event so that you can enter the next event, or money spent on prepping a second shell so you can push harder at each event, or money spent on keeping the wife happy so that you are allowed more rally weekends, etc. Also, I like the idea of one long day of rallying to bring more of an endurance aspect to the event. I think this fits nicely with the idea of an old school tulip rally.

Another thing to consider is that people might expect a whole lot more pomp and circumstance at a two-day event simply because most of the national events are two-day events and people have grown accustomed to the extras that come with a national event. I like no-frills, low-key, regional events, just like this year's Magnum Opus was. As long as there is a gathering after the event to trade stories, I'm happy.

With all that said, however, being 3.5 hours away I'd enter the event in either case.:p

#18 · (Edited)
Anyone else have a warm fuzzy feeling that we are handwringing about choosing between an epic long one day rally with lots of local support and new roads and a full on two day event??
Heck, I had heard rally was near dead in the US.

Pomp-free, low key, no frills, many miles as possible. What are the "extras" anyway? Sounds like the RA store showed up, you had a rally and a workers party (Russian music just popped into my head) Sound good enough for me!!

Why no payouts for your MI rally challenge, don't like winning money? :)

Good job all!

#20 ·
Coming from a little further south and with vacation time limitations... I could manage a two day, but it changes the commute from a leisurely drive up Friday, to an either very long drive Thursday night or more likely 5 hours thursday night - hotel- finish friday am, in time for registration and work assignment. If the event finished early on Saturday, that allows time to socialize in the evening and make Sunday's drive home a little more leisurely.

I think once you look at the make up & location of the stages available it will help you determine if a long one day event makes sense or a two-day event makes sense. A two day event does drive cost for everyone, so I would look at it closely...

Thanks for this years event, it was well run and we had fun working.

#21 ·
I changed my mind. I originally chose 2 day, but for NEXT year, I think it would be best to keep it one day. Start earlier, shorter transits, and finish a touch earlier. I think the "in and outs" worked great.

I'm still undecided on tulips vs notes vs recce. I think for now it would be best to KEEP IT SIMPLE.

I heard a lot of good rumors from reputable horses, of two more potential Coefficient 2 rallies in the UP next year. I think the best way to go is simple, no frills rally! Let things grow as they may, don't force it. Make an event infrastructure that can survive with 10 entries and flourish with 30. Don't plan for 30 and selfdestruct with 10.

Rally on! Soon!

#26 ·
I have this crazy dream where we can support 4 SOLID local rally weekends in the state. Sno*Drift, Magnum Opus, ???, LSPR.

Sno- 1 Day
Drift- 1 Day
Magnum Opus- 1 Day
??? - 1 Day
LSPR, Ottawa- 1 Day
LSPR, Keewenaw- 1 Day

That gives us six rallys. A double header snow event in the winter. Three months later a single day gravel event in the spring. Three months later a single day gravel event in the summer. Three months later a double header in the fall to finish out the season.

Minnesota/Wisconsin gets something awesome too.

Rally Minnesota, Nemadji, Gravity Park, Shooting Star/Headwaters/Nemadji 2.

Missouri "area" as well.

100 AW, Paris, Perryville, ???

Each local series sends two to the regional series. 6 events. 12 days of Rally.

Sno*Drift. 100AW. Rally MN. LSPR. Perryville. Shooting Star.

Each region sends two to the national series.

Sno*Drift. 100 AW.

Now the local guys can contest a respectable local series they can realistically fight for. Not just a partial calender because tows are too long, time off is too short and budgets are too thin. Regional guys can contest a meaningful regional series where they get the full local competition over a longer rally weekend, cutting a towing championship where people could snipe single day coefficient 1 rallies for points. National guys go with the best of the region roads and competitors.

Local events are tulips. Weekends with regional rallys can run tulips or notes, their choice. Nationals are notes with recce. Local guys can taste everything while still not needing massive resources to tackle the series. Regional guys get a bit more, but the logistics for them are greater anyway since they travel farther so it fits their budgets. Finally, the national guys get recce.

#28 ·
I've always enjoyed the one day regional format of Magnum Opus. It's a relaxing change of pace from LSPR. Especially because I can just show up without having to stress about anything.

Despite it being only one day, I think a lot of us spent some extra time exploring the area. For a lot of us, the eastern UP is just drive-through territory a lot of the time. I liked the opportunity to get out and do some bike riding. Did you know Michigan's longest natural cave is right near Trout Lake?

A hearty "awesome job" to the organizers. Things went very smoothly from my perspective.

I guess if I had one suggestion- change the name. I know Magnum Opus is a storied, historic name in UP rallying. But you're running in the vicinity of the two-hearted river! A name that doesn't make at least a minor Hemingway reference is criminal. :D

#29 ·
As a worker, I really liked the one day format. It's relaxed. It's cheaper. It leaves you still excited about Rally instead of hating it. Instead of a two day event, why not do two one day events? One in the Spring and one in the Fall. Whatever you do, keep it something you can manage. This year was very well organized and run, I had a great time.
Can I reserve Stage Captain on Skyline Road again?
Kevin DeLoughary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.