Special Stage Forums banner

Beer (but not really beer at all)

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bentmettle 
#1 ·
Was reading the wiki page for Anheuser Busch. Found this:

Since the acquisition by InBev, significant changes in advertising plans have been rolled out, predicated on the belief that "changing demographics and media habits no longer require spending as much on mainstream sports events":[8]

• A-B is cutting its television advertising budget for the U.S. broadcast of the 2010 Winter Olympics and the 2012 Summer Olympics and "won't seek to be the exclusive beer advertiser" for those events
  • dropping Omnicom Group's Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, and other advertising agencies "responsible for some of its best-known past ads"
  • paying by the project rather than an annual lump sum
  • reducing the annual number of new advertisements from 100 to 50-60.
Now, ignore that this is at all related to beer. Instead, see "large global company redirects marketing away from the kind of things we in the rally community would like to see happen as sponsorship".

Has anyone seen other similar news?

Comments on the trend?

Discuss! :cool:

Anders

#2 ·
Instead, see "large global company redirects marketing away from the kind of things we in the rally community would like to see happen as sponsorship"
Funny thing is that I don't read it that way at all.
As somebody who is kind of involved in rally marketing I'd be thrilled if a company told me they are dropping relationships with agencies who produce TV ads, reducing commitments to TV advertsing space, no longer concerned with exclusivity of TV advertising time, reducing the number of new ad spots AND looking at marketing initiatives on a project to project basis. I think this only opens the door to projects 'other than TV' and, more importantly, 'other than mainstream sporting events.' (Rally ain't mainstream)

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.