What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing?

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    I think what is being asked is if the 4 door Fiesta is homologated properly in order to fit into the FIA system where normally 2 door Fiesta's would go.

For instance, say you entered the WRC round of Mexico in an actual FIA class; would the car have a class to actually compete in? Or is it a bastardized NA model, just like the rest of our cars
    My understanding is that the only hangup (as mentioned) was the cage, and that has been taken care of. Apparently a 5-door R2 (like Chris's) would be legal for global competition.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
    Billy certainly doesn't have $25-30K in his car. I agree that an R2 isn't a starter car for a privateer with limited funds, and $80K is about right for a full build, but when you can part and piece a car with quality parts all the way up to the R2 without reinventing the wheel its pretty nice.

Jeremy
    The M-sport engineering is certainly nice, even in stock form the Fiestas are a blast to drive. My point is that the price for even a base level rally car (petrow's, Verena's) for a privateer does not make much sense from a $/stage mile (or my favorite: smiles/mile) for a season of competition. Someone just starting out could do a lot better to save their money go to rally school, run a clapped out 2wd for a season for experience and learning and then move up into a more modern car or platform if they see the need/desire.

I would bet a 5 cases of guiness in cans that to build a Fiesta similar to Petrow's (stock with basic rally stuff and the m-sport cage) would be $25K+ if you are starting from scratch: buy the cage kit at advertised price and pay to have someone m-sport approved to install the cage....It is a lot cheaper to build a car when you have seats, belts, intercom, odo, etc laying around from previous cars etc....

I'd love to see the R2 series take off here: Cool well built reliable and reasonably cheap to run cars, potential for great competition. Without competitors building or buying R2s and running though the series can't work.....as we saw in 2011! What will it take to get some folks into these cars? My guess is that the high price tag for cars and the uncertainty of the series taking off (here) is what has kept anyone (other than team O/ford connection) from building one to run in the US...

That said if someone is looking to plunk down 80K for a 2wd rally car to have a lot of smiles/mile in, the first car I would suggest is a R2 Fiesta!

see you at WV? bolt that skid plate on tight!

Another Jeremy

If only Ford bought all of the extra parts back from the R2 program. Seats, Airbags, trim, and wheel buybacks could shave a few $$$$ off of an R2.
    Kenny Thorstenson
    Crew
    Autocross/Rallycross Driver

4. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mgd View Post
    I am curious if someone has actually seen Chris' Fiesta weighed during a gravel rally full of fuel, spare tire, toolkit, jack, spill kit, fire extinguishers, odometer, intercom, etc.
    Ask Mike Hurst. He was weighing cars after they finished SS4 Icicle Brook North at NEFR. (I don't know who exactly he weighed, I was busy running the FTC, I just know he was doing it.)

Matt
    Matt Kennedy
    www.RockyRoadRacing.com

Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows. - Walter Röhrl

Hi,

I recently started a thread about the the Fiesta MS1. I haven't done much research regarding two lower spec Fiesta's in the US, but Ford has now obviously basically created a works R1 package. I'm sure that it will be slower than the R2, but it's also considerably cheaper.

I didn't get many responses in my thread, so maybe I will here. What does the rally community think? Would that be a possibility?

Jeremy . . . would you consider something like that? If so, why? If not, why?

Take Care,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Jvimpty View Post
    The Fiesta looks like a great little package in any spec (stock to R2 to Super Turbo crazy DVW). The big hurdle is the cost for most privateer teams. Building the car to R2 spec looks to be 60-80K before you hit your first stage mile.

Buying the street/starter car from the dealer costs more than most used/new rally ready 2wd cars, and by the time you build/prep the fiesta with cage and safety gear (~$25-30K total in build/car) you could have run a season or more in a 2wd car (including initial build/purchase) with the $$.

Maybe we will start seeing fiesta shells in junkyards that are salvageable, but 15+K for a "shell" is a lot of money for most teams. Even better would be some used R2 cars floating around cheap! Until the price and availability of used/crashed street cars/rally cars comes down you can get a lot more bang for the buck running a wide variety of lower spec (than R2) 2wd platforms.

-Another Jeremy
    The one thing that you can get with a brand new car that you CAN"T get with a used rally car is financing. YES, my car is financed and i pay a monthly payment on the car. SO with that it makes it an affordable piece to just about anyone who would want to build a Fiesta as a rally car.

$300ish a month with no money down, all taxes, fees and registration included gives you freedom to go buy a cage and have it installed and do the rest of the work yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
    I'm still curious how the whole rollcage / homologation / 2 door vs. 4 door thing was handled?

I'd hate to build an R2 that isn't saleable anywhere else. At least the Euro versions are legal everywhere else.
    See www.fiestaMS1.com

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    I think what is being asked is if the 4 door Fiesta is homologated properly in order to fit into the FIA system where normally 2 door Fiesta's would go.

For instance, say you entered the WRC round of Mexico in an actual FIA class; would the car have a class to actually compete in? Or is it a bastardized NA model, just like the rest of our cars
    See www.fiestaMS1.com
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."
    www.brokenmotorsports.com

I will add in that from what i know the series is still under development and getting closer to being a settled deal than it was this year.

WE have quite a few cars in the mix right now that could be running in the FST...
    Petrow
    Mei
    Duplesis
    Knox
    Menegaz

That's 5 cars/drivers that are planning on running FST even if it is with an MS1 spec'd car. I am sure that more will start to surface before the start of next season and we might find ourselves with 5 R2 cars for the start of next season.

On how the car drove:
    The car is amazing fun! never thought that i would be saying that about a 2wd car coming from being on the overall podium at events with our Impreza's the last 2 years. The car is so easy to drive, so predictable and just out right nasty when you put your foot to the floor and trust in your notes.

I can't imagine how the car will be with an full R2 kit on it after having so much fun in an MS1 spec'd car!!!

This Fiesta will become the next "GTi" for rally'ers in North America!

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Motorsports View Post
    This Fiesta will become the next "GTi" for rally'ers in North America!
    Hey now, while I see you are excited, the Swift GT didn't exactly become the next "GTi" in NA rallying even though a 10 spec car series did happen

Ok, this MS1 thing is pretty cool though (I didn't realize there was a kit level below the R2); after further review of the sales document and brochure (which lists prices in pounds), this could definitely be the way to go. I might have to look at selling the STi and financing a base model Fiesta soon...
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

Here's a "basic" build price. I'm probably missing some stuff, so people can add to the list. Sure you can get more/less on each but it's a rough estimate:

$2500-$3500 cage
    $700 x 2 for seats (I think OMP is the cheapest at $700 a piece with head wings)
    $400 for a pair of harnesses
    $100 for extinguishers/triangles/first-aid kit
    $300-$600 for underbody protection
    $260 for a Peltor
    $70 for a brake line limiter
    $100 for misc fuel/brake lines
    $100 for braided stainless lines
    $400 for brake pads
    $30 hood pins
    $30 map light
    $400 4x Hella lights.

So you're at ~$6000-$7000 in BASIC parts that you can add to any car. You'll still need to add a suspension to the mix, but you can look at spending anywhere from $1500 to $15,000+ for that. Don't forget wheels and tires.

So, as Jeremy said, you're looking at $10k and your base price on a Fiesta to be stage ready. $15k for the fiesta + tax/delivery and you're around $27k.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

Or you could just get the MS1 kit that was engineered and put together by M-sport instead of having to find and piece everything together.

You can see the full price list and available options here: http://www.fiestams1.com/index.php/c...startdown/106/

MS1 kit comes with the following:
    The Fiesta MS1 conversion kit compromises of Roll Cage Kit, Bonnet
    & Boot Pin Kit, Exhaust Rear Silencer, Engine and Gearbox Mount
    Support Kit, Sparco Steering Wheel and Fitting Kit, Uprated Brake
    Pads, Braided Brake Pipe Kit, Uprated Damper Kit with Eibach
    springs, front and rear. Basic Auxiliary wiring loom kit, Fuel
    Ancillary Kit (Rollover Valve, Fuel Pipes and fittings), Interior Panel
    Kit (Door panels and inner rear ¼ panels and fittings), Competition
    Seats and 6pt Q/R Harness Kit, Plumbed In and Hand Held Fire
    Extinguisher System, Spare Wheel Ratchet Strap Kit, Co-Driver
    Footrest Kit, Protection Kit (Tank Guard & Fuel Filler Protection),
    6mm Sumpguard Kit, 4 x OZ 6.5” x 15” Wheels.

All of that for 7500 GBP and you would only need First Aid Kit, Spill Kit, and tires to run.

+ Reply to Thread