What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing?

Quote Originally Posted by VentureCrew35 View Post
    All that with a scant normally aspirated 170 hp. The man can drive.
    Fixed it for you.

One thing about the R2 is that it is a fully engineered package that has been put together by a 'Factory' effort, with the clubman in mind. You get a very reliable package that works together and works right out of the box with zero development time.

You still need to know how to drive... cars might help you win an event but rarely win championships.
    Last edited by Morison; 07-29-2011 at 08:55 AM.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Ya, Exactly. I think that's what happens when you pair (IMNSHO) "the best" 2wd driver in N.America with probably the best 2wd car. stupids things happen and the laws of physics starts to get bent :P
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by mgd View Post
    I am curious if someone has actually seen Chris' Fiesta weighed during a gravel rally full of fuel, spare tire, toolkit, jack, spill kit, fire extinguishers, odometer, intercom, etc. The US manual hatchback weighs 2,537 and although the (mostly plastic) interior is removed, along with airbags, AC and other small items, the addition of cage, larger brakes, gravel wheels and heavy tires, skidplates, etc puts back on the car serious weight.

George
    I'd guess that as a bare minimum spec with no spares/tools/etc. M-Sport said they worked to get down to the minimum weight for the R2, but no details are said what that weight includes or doesn't.

From what I saw in the video below and another online, calculating gears from speed... Gearing seems to be in line with a top speed in 5th of just over 100mph.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I can tell you from NEFR that the stock fiesta Billy Petrow and were in, the things are an absolute blast. The car had a cage, skidplate and stock suspension on Friday and we put on Bilsteins for Saturday. But Billy's car will keep evolving and getting closer and closer to a full R2.

We competed the last two years in AWD WRX's and I was expecting the major step down in grip and power to make the event a little bit of a yawn, but it wasn't. The low weight, quick responsive steering and the great rewards for carrying momentum through a turn were awesome.

The biggest issue we had was the stock gear spacing, 2-3 is really far apart and if Billy didn't nail a turn in the right gear we were super bogged down (especially on an uphill). Also the absolute speed isn't there. NEFR has some long links of 6's and we were peddle to the floor but just not picking up much speed. The linked 3s and 4s on Saturday were an absolute blast.

I for one can't wait until next year, should be awesome.

To me this car is instantly the "what you should start with" car, forget rusted crap can GTIs from the 80's. It's solid, reliable, realistically cheap, rally ready parts are available from M-sport and are engineered well (and there's always more to buy if you want to) and its a blast to drive or ride in. Oh, and there's a hell of a lot more room in it then the GC Impreza we had last.

Jeremy
    Last edited by JeremyN; 07-29-2011 at 09:03 AM.

I'm still curious how the whole rollcage / homologation / 2 door vs. 4 door thing was handled?

I'd hate to build an R2 that isn't saleable anywhere else. At least the Euro versions are legal everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post

To me this car is instantly the "what you should start with" car, forget rusted crap can GTIs from the 80's. It's solid, reliable, realistically cheap, rally ready parts are available from M-sport and are engineered well (and there's always more to buy if you want to) and its a blast to drive or ride in. Oh, and there's a hell of a lot more room in it then the GC Impreza we had last.

Jeremy
    The Fiesta looks like a great little package in any spec (stock to R2 to Super Turbo crazy DVW). The big hurdle is the cost for most privateer teams. Building the car to R2 spec looks to be 60-80K before you hit your first stage mile.

Buying the street/starter car from the dealer costs more than most used/new rally ready 2wd cars, and by the time you build/prep the fiesta with cage and safety gear (~$25-30K total in build/car) you could have run a season or more in a 2wd car (including initial build/purchase) with the $$.

Maybe we will start seeing fiesta shells in junkyards that are salvageable, but 15+K for a "shell" is a lot of money for most teams. Even better would be some used R2 cars floating around cheap! Until the price and availability of used/crashed street cars/rally cars comes down you can get a lot more bang for the buck running a wide variety of lower spec (than R2) 2wd platforms.

-Another Jeremy
    Last edited by Jvimpty; 07-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.

Well its not cheap, but looking at WRC Finland the top Fiesta R2 right now is running about 5.2 seconds slower / stage mile than Loeb (at a fraction of the cost???) 60-80K vs what ever a Citreon DS3 WRC car costs....
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by Jvimpty View Post
    The Fiesta looks like a great little package in any spec (stock to R2 to Super Turbo crazy DVW). The big hurdle is the cost for most privateer teams. Building the car to R2 spec looks to be 60-80K before you hit your first stage mile.

Buying the street/starter car from the dealer costs more than most used/new rally ready 2wd cars, and by the time you build/prep the fiesta with cage and safety gear (~$25-30K total in build/car) you could have run a season or more in a 2wd car (including initial build/purchase) with the $$.

Maybe we will start seeing fiesta shells in junkyards that are salvageable, but 15+K for a "shell" is a lot of money for most teams. Even better would be some used R2 cars floating around cheap! Until the price and availability of used/crashed street cars/rally cars comes down you can get a lot more bang for the buck running a wide variety of lower spec (than R2) 2wd platforms.

-Another Jeremy
    Billy certainly doesn't have $25-30K in his car. I agree that an R2 isn't a starter car for a privateer with limited funds, and $80K is about right for a full build, but when you can part and piece a car with quality parts all the way up to the R2 without reinventing the wheel its pretty nice.

Does buying a new shell ever cost less then buying a 20yo shell, no. But after NEFR if someone where to ask me if they should drop $10K on a 5-10yo WRX or $13K brand new Fiesta, I'd say the fiesta. The prices for everything else is about the same no matter what the car.

Jeremy
    Last edited by JeremyN; 07-29-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
    I'm still curious how the whole rollcage / homologation / 2 door vs. 4 door thing was handled?

I'd hate to build an R2 that isn't saleable anywhere else. At least the Euro versions are legal everywhere else.
    The cage gets purchased from M-sport (through Tim O) installed by one of handfull of people in N.A. that Malcolm has signed off on, pics and paperwork get sent to M-sport and the FIA paperwork comes back.

This is how all of the R2-able Fiestas have been done.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyN View Post
    This is how all of the R2-able Fiestas have been done.
    I think what is being asked is if the 4 door Fiesta is homologated properly in order to fit into the FIA system where normally 2 door Fiesta's would go.

For instance, say you entered the WRC round of Mexico in an actual FIA class; would the car have a class to actually compete in? Or is it a bastardized NA model, just like the rest of our cars
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

+ Reply to Thread