What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing?

Default What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing?

There has been virtually no mention of this (I would assume due to the slow uptake of R2 Fiesta's in North America).

What's the verdict? Where did the series go? Will it continue into next year? What about running in Rally GB?

Does anyone have any new links or info to share? Costs, how the cars are, etc?
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I can tell you that I've had a ride in a full R2 Fiesta and if you keep it 'on step' it is very quick.
    Smooth driving and clean lines are heavily rewarded.
    Duplessis was able to run pedal it to about 3.5 sec/K beind Antoine at NEFR. Lots of variables in that comparison ... ~2 sec/k off Antoine's pace on Concord Pond.

Not shabby at all.
    Keith Morison
    Morison Communications

Mr. Duplessis was VERY quick at both STPR and NEFR in the R2! Watch any video and you come away amazed! I can only speak from a worker/speccie's viewpoint, but the amount of speed he carries into and through corners boggles the mind. An experienced photographer on Concord Pond at NEFR commented that "Chris makes shooting rally easy" -- and then showed me this amazing sequence of photos from the off-camber, inside corner boulder yump at mile 4.56 -- STUNNING. Of course, his run at 2010 SnoDrift, where just standing on the icy roads was sometimes daunting, pretty much hints at his level of talent.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

To the OP, last I heard the series was delayed because Ford realized nobody had an R2 built in time for the STPR start, with the exception of Chris. And even though the FiestaR2 page labeled 4 Fiestas as "R2", truely Chris' was the only one that was (they had Petrow, Mei, DVW listed as R2 when DVW is turbo and Petrow/Mei's are basically a MS1)
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

knowing that C.Duplessis is a great driver, I would still say the R2 is amazing based upon his performance. While Chris was fast in his Scion XD Ride, he's even faster in the R2, seemingly impossibly faster. so it must be a fantastic setup

what's the weight / hp on that thing?
    anyone have a gearing / mph / rpm chart for it ?
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Ford Fiesta R2: Technical Specification
    Donor vehicle: Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport / Zetec S. Model dated from September 2008
    for purchase from any source. Promotional price available from
    M-Sport.
    Engine: 1.6 Zetec 16V – 1598cc – Ti-VCT; 4 cylinders in line; DOHC; 16 valves;
    alloy cylinder head and block; variable cam timing.
    Power: 170 PS @ 7,500 rpm from 97 octane fuel
    Torque: 182 Nm @ 5,700 rpm
    Transmission: Five speed sequential gearbox developed by Sadev with plated
    limited slip differential and uprated driveshafts. ECU developed by Pi
    with flat shift feature with full throttle closed loop control shift.
    Suspension: Reiger adjustable dampers with Eibach springs, spherical jointed top
    mounts front and rear. Front dampers adjustable for bump and
    rebound. Standard rear beam with uprated mounts. 2-bolt clamped
    front upright. Adaptor pin mounted in uprights with spherical bearing
    connecting the lower arm. Five stud hub.
    Brakes: Gravel (front): 285 mm AP ventilated discs with four piston
    competition calipers.
    Asphalt (front): 310 mm AP ventilated discs with four piston
    competition calipers.
    Rear: 280 mm AP ventilated discs with single piston calipers.
    Hydraulic handbrake.
    Steering: Electric power-assisted steering.
    Wheels: Gravel: OZ 6”x15” Gravel
    Asphalt: OZ 6.5”x16” Asphalt
    Bodyshell: Welded T45 steel multipoint rollcage. Optimised seat position and
    integrated dash bar. Jacking points optional and seam welding is
    permitted.
    Electronics: Bespoke instrument cluster by Visteon in the same style as the
    standard series cluster.
    Dimensions: Length: 3953mm. Width: 1722mm. Height: 1481mm. Wheelbase:
    2490mm. Weight: 1030kg.

2,270lbs. Thats a lightweight modern car.
    1986 Group5 Merkur XR4Ti
    Sean and Jenne Medcroft

Quote Originally Posted by phlat65 View Post
    2,270lbs. Thats a lightweight modern car.
    I am curious if someone has actually seen Chris' Fiesta weighed during a gravel rally full of fuel, spare tire, toolkit, jack, spill kit, fire extinguishers, odometer, intercom, etc. The US manual hatchback weighs 2,537 and although the (mostly plastic) interior is removed, along with airbags, AC and other small items, the addition of cage, larger brakes, gravel wheels and heavy tires, skidplates, etc puts back on the car serious weight.

George

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    knowing that C.Duplessis is a great driver, I would still say the R2 is amazing based upon his performance. While Chris was fast in his Scion XD Ride, he's even faster in the R2, seemingly impossibly faster. so it must be a fantastic setup

what's the weight / hp on that thing?
    anyone have a gearing / mph / rpm chart for it ?

I can see now that I got carried away describing what Chris is doing! I never intended to imply that the R2 package was not a capable and quick platform, sorry if I made it sound like that.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZguy View Post
    Mr. Duplessis was VERY quick at both STPR and NEFR in the R2! Watch any video and you come away amazed! I can only speak from a worker/speccie's viewpoint, but the amount of speed he carries into and through corners boggles the mind. An experienced photographer on Concord Pond at NEFR commented that "Chris makes shooting rally easy" -- and then showed me this amazing sequence of photos from the off-camber, inside corner boulder yump at mile 4.56 -- STUNNING. Of course, his run at 2010 SnoDrift, where just standing on the icy roads was sometimes daunting, pretty much hints at his level of talent.
    I think one of the best examples of Duplessis' speed came from Mt Washington. Out of all the rally cars, both AWD and 2WD, N/A and turbo, Chris was second fastest. The only rally car faster than him was an Evo X driven by Martai, and even then the difference was less than 4 seconds. Chris beat Cassidy's STi by 9 seconds and Kearney's by 15. All that with a scant 170 hp. The man can drive.

+ Reply to Thread