What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing? - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What is happening with the Fiesta cup thing?

I wonder if there is a company out there that is making different ratio gears for the fiesta transmission. You know, ones that aren't aimed at fuel economy.

Msport has the 4.6 Final from the 4.25 OEM final drive, which isn't bad if you're shifting at 6k redline. But don't these motors pull up to a 7k limiter?

Maybe Bill can chime in on what the stock motor runs at and OEM shift drops are. But I think a 4.6 final would be pretty good improvement over the OEM final.

It's just a matter of getting some power from the motor at that point. Doing an R2 motor build won't make sense since it comes with an 8500rpm limiter once you change the pistons/rods/valve springs/cams and the OEM trans will be terrible for that power band.

Going with a turbo kit on an OEM motor seems your best option, as long as you're within the limits of the trans' torque output. Don't have to go for Van Way power, but I think the trans and motor should be able to handle something reasonably close to 170hp at the crank with a turbo kit. Cams/valves/etc = lots of R&D to produce. Turbos can be custom built and run on stock motors by just about anyone if the do the research and have some fab up a turbo manifold and put on an ECU tune.

There's also the FSwerks guys who will be doing parts for the Fiesta. They have an intake/exhaust that they were working on. Stock power was 108.5whp & 101.1wtq,
    Adding Intake & exhaust increased it to 117.8whp & 106.5wtq with no engine mapping. Which is ~10hp at the crank.
    Last edited by Billy Elliot; 08-05-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

So, considering it is a new season, bringing this thread back from the dead:

Who is competing in Fiesta's this year? What spec are you running the car at (R1, MS1, R2)? Are you happy with your decision to run the Fiesta? What sort of costs did you end up with?

I'm curious about this "bilstein" suspension M-Sport mentions as entry level suspension. Now, obviously it's not hard to swap suspension pieces and it seems awfully expensive for what it is.

Edit-
    You also have to consider that you can go WAY cheaper on certain parts when building an "R1" or "MS1" style car if you are eventually considering going R2 as some of the parts simply don't crossover and have to be replaced anyways. Like I said, suspension-wise, you can go with hundreds of different options. Same with the LSD for the 5 speed box, you can get a plate LSD for $1200 vs $2800 for the MS1 lsd. All of that costs savings adds up. To finance a Fiesta is around $250/month in Alberta, not a bad deal at all. You'd think there would be a ton of used ones, but good luck finding a manual!
    Last edited by HiTempguy; 02-12-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

^^^^ i think rally mainly is about suspension and tires. So i would leave the Reiger in it, even though it is very expensive compare to the entry level Bilstein.
    i think you almost will ruin the car without reiger.
    My wife has a fiesta , but it is a bone stock daily driver. I have to admit i like to drive it around , and i am 6.1 or 6.2 deppending on my mood ... LOL
    The R2 kit seeems a very fast and power full car against the 170 hp. You just have to see how it launch on tarmac all the way to the higher gears, it is flying. We all know the engine and the transmission if they designed together, can and does over come a hughe HP deficits vs more powerful engines with a so- so transmissions.
    So i think the R2 package is a very good combo. You get a good power with a good suspension and good weight. Which makes the car being very quick.

If you combined that with a very taleted driver like Chris, it is not suprising the Fiesta R2 can and does performs better in stages then many AWD Turbo charged car.( who remembers the WRC when the Citroen kit cars did run faster then a AWD turbo WRC cars ? LOL )
    I am sure many heavy AWD Turbo car has a not much power advantige over it, if you think about the weight /power ratio. Plus the proper world class suspension and the added proper transmission.
    So what i am saying is , many people get hooked up on the 170 hp spec. That is part of the package where (i dont think so) the Fiesta is "left behind" , but any other segments you looking at it , it is a weapon. And sound- looks ,very nice also.

I am a fan of the R2 package , i dont think you need anything better for a FWD class today in the USA.

Rob
    Last edited by Robevo; 02-13-2012 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robevo View Post
    So what i am saying is , many people get hooked up on the 170 hp spec. That is part of the package where (i dont think so) the Fiesta is "left behind" , but any other segments you looking at it , it is a weapon. And sound- looks ,very nice also.

I am a fan of the R2 package , i dont think you need anything better for a FWD class today in the USA.

Rob

The 170hp is plenty, but still lacking a bit for the more open US rally events. However, it is limited by the 1.6L engine and homologated parts/internals not really to "round off the package". If they build the 1.6 like they do the 2.0L for S2000, the motor would be making ~225hp at the crank, but also cost $20,000.

I don't think you need the 270 at the wheels like DVW, but the general rule of ~200whp is the sweet spot for a 2WD car matched with a proper gearset that will get you just over 100mph in 5th. And that's what I'm shooting for in my Civic over the summer which is pretty easy on all OEM honda parts when I freshen it up combined with the already fantastic gearset I have in the car.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

Im just curious to know if there is going to actually be an FST here this year?

There are quite a few Fiesta's running that could make it happen...
    Chris D.
    Fast Eddy
    DVW
    Verena

They all seem to be in for the full National run this year, so that would make 3 more than last year, but only Chris D and Fast Eddy's cars are actual R2's.

If you count the 1 in Canada then we have 3 R2's, but he hasnt entered any of the RA series events thus far this season...
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."
    www.brokenmotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Motorsports View Post
    Im just curious to know if there is going to actually be an FST here this year?

There are quite a few Fiesta's running that could make it happen...
    Chris D.
    Fast Eddy
    DVW
    Verena

They all seem to be in for the full National run this year, so that would make 3 more than last year, but only Chris D and Fast Eddy's cars are actual R2's.

If you count the 1 in Canada then we have 3 R2's, but he hasnt entered any of the RA series events thus far this season...
    Well DVW's car isn't legal with the turbo and 6 speed sequential dogbox, also brakes are out of spec and most likely lots of other bits.

Verena and Your car, while not full built R2, could be classed as an R2 for rules purpose because you do not go outside any R2 rules even though you're both built to MS1/R1 specs.

Really, they should just make it open to all Fiestas to make it easier instead of going through and chasing rule infractions to try and invalidate people. you might even find something on Chris or Eds car that you could find R2 illegal but isn't game breaking. I can tell you already that Ed's car is mixing a USDM shell with Euro front end body panels I'm not sure if that breaks some FIA homologation rule?
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!

Hi guys,

I know I am bringing this one back from the grave but I read thru this about four years ago and then just reread it a few minutes ago. One of the factors that folks rbought up was the initial cost of the shell and how the car might make more sense once shells start showing up for sub $5k.

Well, they are definitely sub $5k these days and I am curious given the current experience of those with a fiesta over the past few years, the attractive British pound level (1.22 today vs. 1.55 back in 2011/2012...this is about a 20% cheaper) and the traditional 2wd cars getting older and more scarce, are those cases people making for this being the "new GTI" still intact? Are they more so? Thanks in advance for your comments and shared experience.

I can build a better G2/open2wd car for less, even with running Fiestas being less than $5k now.

Personally, I feel that there is no better value than a 92-00 hatchback civic. Double wishbone means no expensive struts, so proper rally suspension is dirt cheap, plentiful aftermarket, and now you can get a fully configured sequential ready for install for $8kusd.

You could build a better Honda Civic hatch to "r2 spec" for under $30k, and it would do everything better (I think) than a Fiesta R2. I don't think there is any crazy contingency offered anymore, so I don't see the point in running a Fiesta R2.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

M-Sport's R2 kit for the fiesta, not to mention the development behind it, is a whole lot more than nice struts and a sequential. I'd hope that M-Sport's reputation at making a damn good rally machine isn't in doubt. But like Adam points out, it's not cheap and you don't have to go that route to get a really well prepared 2wd car for North American Rally.

My personal opinion/observation is that the fiesta chassis is well suited to the sport and has lots of good options out there for everything including and beyond motor, gearbox, and suspension... it doesn't have to be all or even partially from M-Sport. Seems pretty easy to get parts these days too. Do get Team O'Neil's latest skid plates and mounts though, better than M-Sport's and anything else I've seen for those cars - great piece of kit.

Not dissing Hondas or double wishbone suspension. Or Toyotas. Or BMWs. Or Volvos. Or VWs (of course). Or any of the other good choices out there for 2wd rally. Just try not to do something that barely anyone else out there has done or is doing... there is almost certainly a good reason for it not being a popular choice.
    Last edited by Flying_Finn; 03-20-2017 at 12:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread