More Mazda contengency money going out. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Mazda contengency money going out.

Quote Originally Posted by eyesoreracing View Post
    Sadly, I think there are already rules in place to prevent that kind of creativity. I'm really itching to do a 1st gen RX-7 with a hayabusa engine swap (http://www.motoiq.com/projects/proje...miatabusa.aspx), but that damn engines-from-the-same-manufacturer rule is still in place, isn't it? I wonder if the fact that Suzuki makes the Mazda Scrum for us would help....

-Dave
    lame

oh well, it's not going to stop me from finishing what i'm putting together.
    G2 Mazdaru?!?!?! Build Thread

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"

you know, the way i read it, i really could run a different motor

- Mazda Contingency Awards are available for select categories and classes of racing. Eligible vehicles must fit within 3 categories:
    1. Mazda production vehicle using stock chassis with modified or stock bodywork
    2. Mazda-powered vehicle with tube-frame chassis using approved Mazda "silhouette" bodywork
    3. Mazda-powered purpose-built race vehicles (sports racing car and formula/open wheel cars) using a Mazda production powerplant
    under #1, it is a Mazda production vehicle and it is a stock chassis and body work.

the other 2 wouldn't apply to me because i fall within #1.

like in the case of #3, what part other then the motor would be mazda, it's just reverse for #1.

thoughts?

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"

Aren't there still Rally America rules about engines being from the same manufacturer, or was that stupid rule finally dropped?

-Dave

4. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

please refer to said thread here and go start building your Maz-busa.

http://www.rally-america.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2750

trust me, i wanted a solid answer before i started my build.

Great, another project!

Quote Originally Posted by eyesoreracing View Post
    Not sure on the brakes. Probably at least very close. Ford tends to use weird European bolt patterns on their small cars. Mazda2 is 4x100. Fiesta and Mazda2 share hard points, but very few actual parts. Wheel bearings, end links and front strut mounts are the only ones that are identical. Fiesta motor should fit, but again, probably isn't a legal swap. That engine has never been in a Mazda.

I was told by Japan that the Mazda3 engine wouldn't physically fit between the frame rails, but I've seen a Mazdaspeed3 engine jammed in there, so someone wasn't telling me the whole truth. So, with a little creativity, you could use Hendo's junkyard motor when he upgrades. 2.3 liters in a 2300 pound car should be plenty!

Probably easier (and lighter) to just put Dave Hintz's turbo on the original 1.5 liter...

-Dave
    Which makes me wish they would just drop G2/G5 and call it 2WD for regionals. Example is my Honda. It's just as much work/dollars to take my B16 and slap a turbo on it to make a reliable 200HP at the wheels with gobs more torque than I would to build up an N/A motor build. Don't have to rev it to the moon either, but with a 1.75 rod/stroke on the B16 I still can. However, putting a snail puts me in G5 and there's barely anybody in that class. Much like putting a Mazdaspeed3 motor in a Mazda2.

I'm sure you can get the 2.3 to fit in the Mazda2, like you can fit a K series into an EG/EK. Doesn't mean it will work well. I'd do a K series on my EK hatch, but the whole engine has to sit a couple inches lower to clear the hood. So I either sacrifice ground clearance or make some goofy custom hood and custom motor mounts.

And to make crazyness... Busa powered rally cars would be awesome.
    Last edited by Billy Elliot; 07-20-2011 at 07:36 AM.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

I'm with you 100%. 2WD traction is enough of a limiting factor to make G2 and G5 essentially identical classes. Just make them one already! CRS has been doing that for decades and last time I looked (long time ago) the only time a G5 car won the G2/5 championship was when I did it with a non-turbo Sentra that only fell into G5 on a technicality (2.5 liters X multipliers for variable valve timing and 4 valves per cylinder) but performed just like a G2 car.

-Dave

ill have the Rx7 out for 2012. Wont be rotary powered any longer...sadly... That said i have thought about running an protege or Mx-3 for Fwd if i ever dared leave rear wheel drive. My budget isnt up to the 2000+ model years par...
    Last edited by Gravity Fed; 07-24-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Whizbang Rally

"Your Mazda Rewards Card has been loaded!"

Thanks Dave and MS!

Better late than never, results coming for Magnum Opus shortly...

Mine too! Kickass.
    Things could be worse. You could be a crackhead.

+ Reply to Thread