More Mazda contengency money going out.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More Mazda contengency money going out.

Default More Mazda contengency money going out.

Just processed a stack of Mazdaspeed Motorsports contingency forms from Dave Henderson.

Olympus:
    Day one Hendo and Terrence McDowell brought the Mazda3 in first in Group2, but since we count all the 2WD cars together, we counted it as second behind Tom and Don Burress in their G5 GTI (wait a minute, Group5 GTI? What does that thing have in it?). That's $200. He was also the first Mazda to finish, which is another $200.

Day two, similar story. A few positions farther up the overall leaerboard, a few seconds closer to Burress, and another $400.

Oregon Trail:
    Day one, Hendo and McDowell parked the Mazda3 in 4th overall, 30 seconds ahead of Dave and Richard Hintz in their M3. That was good enough for first 2WD ($400) and first Mazda ($200) for a $600 day.

Day two, the Hintz boys squeeked past, leaving Hendo again in 4th overall, but 2nd in 2wd ($200) and again 1st Mazda ($200)

$1800 check is in the mail (or credit is going on the card, or whatever it is we do).

Unless he's made some changes I'm not aware of, Hendo is taking all the money with a junkyard engine, a header, a reflashed ECU, stock Mazda5 springs, and off-the-shelf Bilstein HD shocks.

Way to go, Hendo! Making the most from the least is the Mazda way!

That money is up for grabs to anyone in any Mazda, by the way, you guys don't have to let him take all of it...

-Dave Coleman
    somewhere in the bowels of Mazda R&D

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Wow, way to go Dave, he was screaming fast at Idaho too btw..

wow $1800 ... so far subaru has paid me... oh zero. maybe i should switch teams? hehehe
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Our GTI has a Mazda Turbo engine Send us some money!

(Note: just kidding! We have a VW with a custom turbo. One day VW will start a contingency program for 23 year old cars, right?)

demon rally team - powered by fine tuning
    JRM | RalleyTuned | CTS Turbo | Meister Autowerks | Spitfire EFI | JVAB Imports | USRT

ProPicks - predict the Rally America winners and fight for fame and glory.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by eyesoreracing View Post

That money is up for grabs to anyone in any Mazda, by the way, you guys don't have to let him take all of it...
    Lets say its a mazda on the outside, but maybe the heart of something else on the inside.

that probably wouldn't fly would it?
    G2 Mazdaru?!?!?! Build Thread

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"

in a few years the new Mazda2 will be a great candidate for a G2 rally car.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanP View Post
    in a few years the new Mazda2 will be a great candidate for a G2 rally car.
    Mazda2 can accept a lot the R2 Fiesta parts. Suspension is bolt on. Brakes maybe. Dave can chime in what works, but I think you need the Fiesta motor/harness but that is all drop in.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    Wow, way to go Dave, he was screaming fast at Idaho too btw..

wow $1800 ... so far subaru has paid me... oh zero. maybe i should switch teams? hehehe
    That's what I've been trying to tell you!

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by demonrally_don View Post
    Our GTI has a Mazda Turbo engine Send us some money!

(Note: just kidding! We have a VW with a custom turbo. One day VW will start a contingency program for 23 year old cars, right?)
    Cutsom turbos fit on Proteges too, you know. Just sayin...

By the way, nice work at Olympus, you were WAY up the list for an old Rabbit!

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mellow65 View Post
    Lets say its a mazda on the outside, but maybe the heart of something else on the inside.

that probably wouldn't fly would it?
    Sadly, I think there are already rules in place to prevent that kind of creativity. I'm really itching to do a 1st gen RX-7 with a hayabusa engine swap (http://www.motoiq.com/projects/proje...miatabusa.aspx), but that damn engines-from-the-same-manufacturer rule is still in place, isn't it? I wonder if the fact that Suzuki makes the Mazda Scrum for us would help....

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Elliot View Post
    Mazda2 can accept a lot the R2 Fiesta parts. Suspension is bolt on. Brakes maybe. Dave can chime in what works, but I think you need the Fiesta motor/harness but that is all drop in.
    Not sure on the brakes. Probably at least very close. Ford tends to use weird European bolt patterns on their small cars. Mazda2 is 4x100. Fiesta and Mazda2 share hard points, but very few actual parts. Wheel bearings, end links and front strut mounts are the only ones that are identical. Fiesta motor should fit, but again, probably isn't a legal swap. That engine has never been in a Mazda.

I was told by Japan that the Mazda3 engine wouldn't physically fit between the frame rails, but I've seen a Mazdaspeed3 engine jammed in there, so someone wasn't telling me the whole truth. So, with a little creativity, you could use Hendo's junkyard motor when he upgrades. 2.3 liters in a 2300 pound car should be plenty!

Probably easier (and lighter) to just put Dave Hintz's turbo on the original 1.5 liter...

-Dave

+ Reply to Thread