Peltor radio interface cables
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peltor radio interface cables

Default Peltor radio interface cables

Hey folks,

Just curious - for those of you that have FMT110 or FMT120 units AND have a mobile 2m rig, did you have to buy a cable, hack off the end, and custom wire up a connector?

All of the material I can find on the peltor units are that they are (rightly) designed to interface with handheld radios which (often) have different plugs than a mobile radio of the same manufacturer.

Specifically, I've got a Yaesu radio in the car and the P/N from Peltor for interfacing with Yaesu radios is the FL6U-31 which looks like this:

Note - this is NOT a mobile plug - but is an OLD style Yaesu plug (circa pre-2001)

But the way you wire in a connector to a mobile rig is to wire on a plug that replaces the handheld mic (and is also tied into the PTT).
    Last edited by EricW; 12-05-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    Eric Wages
    Dirty Rallysport / facebook.com/dirtyrallysport / youtube.com/dirtyrallysport
    K1WRX
    2014 Sponsors: Innovative Tuning | KNS Brakes | Exhale Performance | Triple Caution | RallyTools

North America Cage Builder's Map

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I'd favor building an adaper box. RS plastic experimenters box with correct jacks and a cable to mic in/PTT and to headphone output. I hate to solder itsy bitsy wires. You'd also maintain the ability to plug into an HT if you had to.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

I'm looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have an ICOM hand held and this looks like it'll plug right into the radio. I guess I don't know what the connector looks like on the otherside. But for only $23, not much of a risk.
    (the other) Jon Burke
    I drive a Sub-a-rat
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jon-B...13428728700857
    Team Blog: Up Two Mountains Rally Team

"...when it comes to racing and sushi, I never look at the bill." - Foust

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Sure - that will work. But I've got a mobile rig in the car.

I think I'll just buy an adapter cable and hack it up. I think most people use handhelds in other countries anyway since they have a solid repeater network and only use it for emergency use whereas I use it to talk to service and do emergency ops in a worst-case.
    Eric Wages
    K1WRX
    2014 Sponsors: Innovative Tuning | KNS Brakes | Exhale Performance | Triple Caution | RallyTools

eric,

What did you end up with? just bought a 120 and looking to connect up a 2m.
    Tony
    KC0VSL
    Oskar-the Citation.

"It ain't what a man Don't know that hurts Him, Near as much as what he Knows that just ain't so."
    -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by bknblk View Post
    eric,

What did you end up with? just bought a 120 and looking to connect up a 2m.
    Nothing yet. I'm still waiting for some accessories from Sube Sports. Glad I had them push forward the 120 by itself.

Will have to wait until after Sandblast. For now, put the handheld mic back in and it's velcroed to the transmission tunnel.
    Eric Wages
    K1WRX

Is that the same connector they use on the FMT200 for the headsets? A five-pin female mini-DIN-lookin'-thing-that's-not-actually-mini-DIN with a spring latch?

I don't know what they're called but maybe they're available from Mouser or Digikey?

Ok, I think the FMT200 output is a Switchcraft TA5F plug to a TA5M jack. Mouser has the plug alone for $10.75 and a prewired plug+cable for $14.10. DigiKey has them too, but only if you order 100 or more. That may not be relevant to this though - I can't tell from the FMT120 pictures what the cable it has is.

Does this help?

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

I'd have to say, that looking at the Switchcraft TA5F, it certainly does appear to be the right connector. Question is the pinout, of course, and what the connector for the PTT is (which I think I found at one point, and is some relatively standard aircraft connector?).

Mark Holden - G2 Nissan Sentra SE-R

+ Reply to Thread