Oregon Trail MaxAttack!- Day 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oregon Trail MaxAttack!- Day 3

Default Oregon Trail MaxAttack!- Day 3

The ballad of Leo Smith.

When I left you all last night to head back to the service area to dig on some tunes and a buffalo burger, I came across Cody Crane looking very frustrated at his car.

"What's up?"

"Not sure. Either blown clutch or something broken inside the transmission."

I reported that they had a broken shift linkage last night, but the external portion of the linkage, while a bit bent, was still operable. The problem seemed internal.

Suddenly, a massive, tatooed, slightly inebriated man came up and was extolling his knowledge of Hondas. He offered to help, and without much of a better choice, Cody accepted. We were all a bit skeptical.

Now, about Cody. He is the rootsiest of grassroots racers. A group of Cody Crane fans from the Pacific Northwest actually pitched in to help pay his entry fee so he could be here as a part of MaxAttack! They believe in him. His Dad, a machinist, is his service crew. No box truck...just a pickup truck with a few spare wheels, a handful of tools, and a lot of heart.

Anyway, I drive Cody's new friend Leo back to The Dalles since he needed a little time to sober up. On the way back (about 11:30pm) he's calling all his Honda buds. This might pan out!

As we find a nice lit lot away from the main drag to begin work, Leo dives in with Cody, his dad, and myself to loosen the gearbox from the Honda. Let's just say that the car is not engineered for 20 minute 'box changes. But we get it out and the fun begins.

Leo really knows these things. Now I've been inside many Mazda, VW, and my Xtrac boxes, so I'm not afraid to dive in, but as anyone who works on them knows, each box has it's idiosyncracies about what you do in what order to facilitate efficient disassembly and reassembly.

Leo delivers. He's like a living Haynes manual. Enough info to get it done, get it done adequately and get you going as soon as possible. He runs home, comes back with another Honda gearbox, and we dissassemble them both, replace the broken rube goldberg selector mechanism with his good unit, and get the guys back in business.

While some of the teams hot on Cody's heels have some of the most prestigious crews in rallying supporting them, Cody has Leo Smith (who incidentally, has to work today so he won't be seeing the rally). And Leo's good enough! Thanks Leo!

--------------------------------------------------------

-I am looking forward to another great day of MaxAttack! rallying... and seeing this thing decided on the stages. Good luck to ALL the teams who are still in the hunt for the MaxMoney and the Jake Himes Cup! And to those of you who met a premature end to your rally, remember...it's called MaxAttack! for a reason. It's rally. It's supposed to be hard. Thank you for supporting it and giving it your best!
    Last edited by Eric Burmeister; 05-16-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    Things could be worse. You could be a crackhead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Burmeister View Post
    SNIP
    Ridiculous... ridiculously awesome! Loving the updates Eric.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

That was a great ballad, Leo Smith is awesome! I wish I were a talented writer so I could write one for Eric Burmeister who was right there with Leo helping all night and losing sleep to get Cody back out there today. Thank You!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Those Honda boys are do or die....LOVE the story...keep 'em coming!

Awesome report! LOL!
    Jerry Winker
    ComicOzzie Autosport Photography
    www.comicozzie.com

Great stuff! Thanks for the updates Lurch!

-Martin.

Just the kind of thing that I love about rally.... Everyone pitching in -- EVEN FANS!. Brainstorming and "self"-reliance. Racing, fixing and watching cars at all hours of day & night -- in ALL kinds of weather! (racers, crews, workers, spectators!)

CLASSIC rally type of tale -- and great SPECIFIC incidence of blessing!!!
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

The teams have all left for the start of Day 3 of this first round of the MaxAttack! Rally Series presented by Danza del Sol at Oregon Trail Rally 2010!

-Penalties are the talk of the rally, as some large time penalties were handed out for speeding last night and the MaxAttackers weren't immune. When the penalty scores are settled, it did change the order in the top 5 MaxMoney positions.

The top 5 positions in MaxAttack! starting today are:

1. Cody Crane / Billy Irvin-- Honda CRX
    2. Dillon Van Way / Ben Slocum-- Ford Focus
    3. Chris Duplessis /Ron Zaras-- Scion XD
    4. Brian Gottlieb / Patrick Darrow-- Toyota FX16
    5. Chris O'Driscoll / Lori O'Driscoll-- Honda CRX

Full results can be found at:
    http://www.daronhume.com/max-attack

-Based on stage scores alone, the top 2 cars in MaxAttack!, Cody Crane and Dillon Van Way, are seperated by just 1.2 seconds! Factor in the 30 sec. penalty for speeding and that still puts Dillon awful close to Cody with a scant 31.2 sec. between them. You can bet that both teams are leaving nothing on the table in their bid for the title of Oregon Trail MaxAttacker!

-Chris Duplessis and Ron Zaras sit another 2 minutes and change back after Chris collected a hefty 1:30 penalty for speeding last night. They have a large margin over 4th place. So will Chris push it to try to be closer to the front should something happen to the 2 battling young guns ahead of him, or will he ride it out to ensure a superb 3rd place finish with the new car? The times will tell.

-4th through 7th position is a 4 way battle between Brian Gottlieb/Patrick Darrow, Chris O'Driscoll/Lori O'Driscoll, John Conley/Keith Rudolph in their Dodge SRT-4, and Gaylord Van Brocklin/Steve Secviar in their VW GTI. You could throw a blanket over the 4 cars, with just 14 seconds seperating all 4!
    Last edited by Eric Burmeister; 05-16-2010 at 11:47 AM.

-Eric from Terra Firma Clothing is happy to announce a special award for the MaxAttacker who moves up the most number of total positions this weekend in MaxAttack! The "MaxImprover" if you will. Whoever accomplishes this will receive a gift certificate for $50 off an online order to www.terrafirmaclothing.com.

Thanks Eric!

As cars come back in for service, the teams are telling tales of late rally problems.

-Cody Crane's Honda CRX started the day without VTEC and the team can't put their finger on the problem. They also suffered two flat tires, meaning that the entire SS13, a 7 miler, was run on a flat on the rear.

-Dillon Van Way's Focus isn't immune, either. The watercrossing caused a misfire that lasted some 3 miles and the shifter tower that houses the shifter literally broke in half. The team had a replacement and the car is ready to go for the last leg of 3 stages.

-Despite this, the competition is fierce with Crane beating Van Way by one-one hundredth of a second on SS12, and Dillon coming back to take 6 seconds out of Cody on SS13! MaxAttack indeed!

-While Duplessis sits comfortably in 3rd, he must still be pushing, since he pulled out a stage win on SS13 by 7 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread