Oregon-Day 1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oregon-Day 1

Default Oregon-Day 1

"You can't win it on the first day, you can only lose it." Famous last words. At the end of the Day 1 spectator spectacular at Portland International Raceway, we have already lost one of the most promising teams in the competition and some others are facing serious mechanical challenges going into Day 2.

-27 teams took the start for the first round of MaxAttack! 2010! Thanks to all the teams who believe in MaxAttack!

-Tom and Don Burress started fast with their new turbo VW Golf. Unfortunately, the added torque of the turbo dealt a blow in the form of a sheared axle stub while leading on SS3. The team is out of MaxAttack! contention for the weekend, but vows to bust times in the front of the field for the remainder, running the regionals.

-Dave Henderson and Terrence McDowell in the Mazda3 finished the last stage sounding like the skidplate was dragging on the ground, but the problem was actually above the skidplate. The engine block was thoroughly ventilated with fist sized chunks of block, a piston, half a rod, and a couple valve heads riding along in a pool of oil on the skidplate. After checking on a Craigslist engine, the team is now checking the rental agencies for Mazda3's. They are still in MaxAttack! and hope to continue if a suitable organ donor is found tonight. The team is in 3rd place in MaxAttack!, but has to get the thing going by morning MTC.

-Cody Crane and Billy Irvin smoking fast as expected in their Honda CRX. He's very concerned about some of the rough stuff in the forest tomorrow, so he's happy to put a little distance on the competition tonight on the tarmac of PIR. He was hoping to be able to buy a tiny bit of conservatism on the rough stages.

...more to come...STAY TUNED!
    Last edited by Eric Burmeister; 05-15-2010 at 09:14 AM.
    Things could be worse. You could be a crackhead.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

-Dillon Van Way and Ben Slocum (Ford Focus) are getting the rally underway in solid form. The gift from the Burress brothers helped put them in the overall lead. They are currently 3.7 seconds ahead of Cody Crane and Irvin going into Day 2.
    Last edited by Eric Burmeister; 05-15-2010 at 01:37 AM.

-Burak Tuglu and Carrie Wilburn got started with some very fast times...in the top 5 for the first 3 stages in their Ford Focus. But on stage 4, the PIR gremlins struck their team as well. At the time of loading up, they thought it was a spun rod bearing. Very noisy engine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the update!

Chris D in the Scion? Can it/he compete?
    J. Lantzy

-As Tim O'neil says, "she's stock as a stone." I don't know what the Scion XD weighs, but Chris says it's 130hp (and it looks like it accelerating down the PIR drag strip). And yet they are in the 4th place position and in the money as of right now. If anyone can make a slow car go fast, it's Chris Duplessis. Some of the stages ahead are very fast, so we'll have to see how they keep up, but I would definitely not be surprised to be handing one of the oversized novelty checks to Chris and Ron Zaras on Sunday night.

Great updates Eric.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Donovan View Post
    LOUD NOISES!

Too bad for the Tom & Don.

Axles seem to be the Achilles heel of FWD 2wd cars w/ torque. Guys, check w/ Chris Havas (or Andrew now that he has car) and see how they solved it w/ their VW. Lurch may have some ideas too. Think lowering his engine helped w/ the Mazda. Seems getting length precisely correct for the suspension travel at full lock is an art as well. Know we busted some and DNFed w/ Nichols in the VW breaking them on acute turns and once w/ Nichols landing a jump.

Ha. Thought of Henderson renting a car to swap engine w/ cracks me up. Return it on a trailer, "I don't know what happened".

Glad to hear no traffic posts were harmed in this year's MaxAttack visit to PIR.
    Dave Shindle/Navitron 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Lancia037Rally View Post
    Ha. Thought of Henderson renting a car to swap engine w/ cracks me up. Return it on a trailer, "I don't know what happened".
    "Insurance? Why yes. Yes I would like to purchase the insurance."

Glad to hear no traffic posts were harmed in this year's MaxAttack visit to PIR.
    They never bothered replacing the post that Nui and I took out. Still a gap over there.

Thanks for the updates! Good stuff.

This is why I'll be racing a 2WD car soon.

+ Reply to Thread