The Original Rally Supercars - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Original Rally Supercars

Quote Originally Posted by autohabit View Post
    Yes, amazing work from the Finns
    Pure art in construction there. But the best part for me are seeing the completed cars in the background of the shots. I have always loved the Martini and especially the Alitalia liveries. So classic, simple and elegant. It just doesn't get any better.
    Kent Gardam - KD8MRR

this is rally, and it's not supposed to be easy....Eric Burmeister, 2009

In my opinion, rallying could stand a bit less posturing and circus and a bit more backbone....Phil Barnes, aging co-driver

Thanks for posting these, awesome.

I wonder if the original GrB body was fiberglass or all steel? Street Ferraris after '77 or so were all steel.
    ***RWD rocks***

Quote Originally Posted by Topi View Post
    I wonder if the original GrB body was fiberglass or all steel? Street Ferraris after '77 or so were all steel.
    Based on the FIA list at: http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/F1738402CD97FDC3C125739A0053B6F9/$FILE/HomologatedForms-SortedByMake&Model.pdf

(with the Historic Rally Championship regs)

it looks like the original Gr4 homologation was in 1976, and this car was re-homologated into GpB (so presumably the fibreglass body). It was then re-homologated twice more based on the same homologation. There are no details on the list, but I'd be surprised if one of those wasn't to allow the steel body (I expect there was also an extension to the Gr4 homologation allowing it). The Quattrovalvole was also homologated into GpB, and it would definitely have been the steel body.

The 288GTO was actually homologated into GpB

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian Wintle; 04-21-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Clarification on where to find the FIA file since the link is bad

Quote Originally Posted by Topi View Post
    The Group 4 308 rally cars definitely used the fiberglass option, to save weight! Not sure on Group B?
    Last edited by autohabit; 04-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Next up, quite possibly the most iconic of all the Group 4 rally supercars, the Lancia Stratos.

The car first appeared in anger on the 1972 Tour de Corse, although the car was not homologated at this point, it was allowed to compete in the then prototype class.

Homologated in the latter half of 1974, the Stratos was of tubular frame construction and weighed comfortably under 1000kg, it had a tuned 270 bhp Ferrari V6 engine from the Ferrari Dino road car, it goes without saying that the Stratos was one of the best sounding rally cars of all time.

Munari took the car to victory on its maiden world championship event, the 1974 Sanremo Rally

A win for Munari on the '74 Rideau Lakes Rally in Canada meant back to back WRC wins for the Stratos.

The car also finished an impressive 3rd overall on the 1974 RAC Rally, again in the hands of Munari

Bjorn Waldegard on route to a home victory on the 1975 Swedish Rally.

A feature which was not seen again for 10 years when the Group B Peugeot 205 T16 was released, was the ability to remove the front and rear of the bodywork for servicing. Occasionally the same bodywork was known to detach itself, most famously on the 1975 RAC Rally with Bjorn Waldegard at the wheel.

Sandro Munari on his way to 2nd on the 1976 Sanremo, team mate Waldegard took the win, this was the heyday of the Stratos.

Sandro Munari on route to victory during the 1976 Tour de Corse, back then the Corsican round of the WRC was held in early November, just prior to the RAC Rally, hence this photo looks more like a scene from a spectator stage on the RAC rally!

love the pic of the Stratos understeering just ahead of the Saab...that looks slippy!

great thread....how long before you get around to covering the 911??!!
    Dave G
    LDR Copilote
    www.lastditchracing.net

Quote Originally Posted by rightseat View Post
    great thread....how long before you get around to covering the 911??!!

You guys on this forum are so impatient

I thought the 037 had removable bodywork sections too (so would have been before the 205T16).

Adrian

As a classic Ferrari fan, those shots of the 308 on gravel (particularly the rallysprint shots) are stunning. Thanks for posting! I didn't know it was used on gravel that much. I assumed it was a tarmac special.
    Things could be worse. You could be a crackhead.

+ Reply to Thread