NW RX7's
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NW RX7's

Default NW RX7's

The title of a photo feature in the current issue of Hemming's Sports and Exotic Cars. All RX7's in Washington/Oregon rallies. A bit loose on some of the details. The article's timeline of the creation of Roddy's AWD RX7 has it appearing before Quattros rather than as a response to them. Gene McCullough's RX7 is gets a small photos.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Yes - I believe that is true. Millen's first AWD RX-7 did predate the Audi Quattros. It may have, in fact, been created in response to the Jeeps, Rhinos and Cheetahs.
    Scott
    Team Harco Motorsports
    "Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

We'll split the difference. After Quattro on the World Championship but before the arrival in the U.S. I would admit that the Cheetah, converted from a 2WD chassis was more inspiration than the Rhino or Wagoneers/CJs. The big Jeeps ran before Roddy's arrival here and there were what-two of CJ's. I think Guy's came about the same time and Pyrzicki's might have been just a bit earlier.
    Time to do some research at rallyracing.
    Last edited by Bruce Beauvais; 06-15-2010 at 06:53 AM.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

I'm almost sure Millen was running an AWD RX-7 in the 70s. This would predate the Quattros.

You're right - need to check Ed Brennan's site. But - will it be identified as "AWD" or just RX-7?

Edit: update to scale back my certainty of this happening in the 70s. I was trying to gauge this against the time when dad stopped as a regular competitor. He ran very few rallies in the 80s - and I clearly recall Roddy's AWD RX-7 at events I attended. Maybe it was 1980.
    Last edited by Team_Harco; 06-16-2010 at 05:31 AM.
    Scott
    Team Harco Motorsports

ASIK, Roddy used a FWD 626 trans as the source for the front diff. First year of production of FWD 626's is 1983. Prior Mazda sedans were RWD with live axles. The Fuji Heavy Industries IRS diff ( R160/180/200) is the only independent style diff produced in Japan that I can think of at that time.
    Checking Rallyracing news, Roddy first competes in the US in the BDA-powered Datsun HL510 in 1979. He changes to a RWD RX7 in 1980. Buffum gets a 2WD Audi 4000 in 1981 and a Quattro in 1982. I'll stand by my original statement. Buffum gets an Quattro, and just like in the rest of the world- cleans up. Roddy doesn't like to lose and develops the AWD RX7 in 1983 or 1984 and levels the field.
    BTW it looks like the first appearance of the Nash quattro (AMC Eagle) is 1981. Guy Light/Jimmy debuted a SX/4 at Northern Lights. So it appears the first blood in AWD rally cars ( not trucks) goes to AMC.
    Last edited by Bruce Beauvais; 06-16-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Beauvais View Post
    BTW it looks like the first appearance of the Nash quattro (AMC Eagle) is 1981. Guy Light/Jimmy debuted a SX/4 at Northern Lights. So it appears the first blood in AWD rally cars ( not trucks) goes to AMC.

Not so fast whippersnapper...

I've already proven my memory sucks, but this doesn't lie.

http://www.rallyracingnews.com/narra/20stages78.html
    Scott
    Team Harco Motorsports

Its been a long time but seems like I saw Millen in the awd-7 around 1984 or 85. It sat higher than the 2wd versions. It was the talk of the PNW that year. I've learned to trust Dave Clark's memory on most details. I heard it was converted 626 parts in some of the drivetrain. I didn't get my 7 until a few years after his awd version.

Some of the Hemming's story is a bit "freestyle" but my son got a big charge out of it.

Gene

Staying out of the SX-4 discussion BUT RRN isn't always correct. I know it has me running one early event in an RX-3 (never owned one) when I was actually in a Datsun. Those results are all type and mail so corrections were never or months after the fact.
    Last edited by heymagic; 06-16-2010 at 07:57 AM.

April of 83 appears to be the first time for the AWD RX-7.

http://www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/rally/news383.html

Good thing I didn't wager anything on this...
    Last edited by Team_Harco; 06-16-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    Scott
    Team Harco Motorsports

I know Rod had the 4WD RX-7 at STPR in '84. That was the very first event I attended and recall the Mazda's distinct stance and power delivery.
    Cool stuff to watch, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Harco View Post
    Not so fast whippersnapper...

I've already proven my memory sucks, but this doesn't lie.

http://www.rallyracingnews.com/narra/20stages78.html
    There were 2 Jim Brandts?

+ Reply to Thread