Honda Civic G2 Build
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Honda Civic G2 Build

Default Honda Civic G2 Build

Got my feet wet with my VW but I felt it was time to move on to something else. I wanted to go with a Honda for a while. After searching around I got myself an 1996 EK hatch with a B16A2 swap from a 1999 Civic Si from a local guy. I am building this car for stage rally first, but I am going to try to mee H1/H2 Honda Challenge rules so I can do road races at Mid-Ohio if I want.

Goal right now is to get out on the stages first and then slowly upgrade/replace parts as I go along. I'm probably going to get sucked into building a super car, but that's way beyond my budget. I want to make the car drivable/presentable for track day testing with rally debut for at LSPR for MaxAttack! in October.

I'll do my best to keep updates on this and index everything on this first post so people can do a quick reference.

So let the build begin!!!

Table of Contents:

The car, and tearing out interior. Post 2
    Tearing out more interior w/ HVAC removal. Cage feet cleaning and glass removal. Engine shot.Post 21
    Ghetto cruiser! Post 22
    Partial cage install. Post 30
    Cage finished and underside of car shots. Post 36
    Removal of tea cup saucer brakes. Post 37
    Declutter of rear hatch wiring. Post 68
    Pulling of motor, brake master/booster, clutch master. Post 84.
    Stitch welding interior, dash mounts, pedal box mounts, filled motor mounts, rotisserie, hydro handbrake. Post 91
    Haven't been in a rally, but I got the car on its roof already... Post 93
    Finished stitch welding and pin jack stands Post 99
    Epoxy underside, starting interior painting, painted engine bay, front bracing, pin jack.s Post 106
    Interior painting, sway bar mounts, fuel/brake lines, interior dash wiring. Post 187
    Transmission work. Post 188
    Suspension/Brakes. Post 189
    Rear Skidplate fabrication @ TRF and glimpses of underbody HDPE. Post 190
    Cleaning of the washer reservoir/pumps. Post 197
    Underbody and battery tray. Post 211
    Last edited by Billy Elliot; 01-18-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

The car still needed some work. Had the front end from a silver 2000 EX coupe, black engine bay, and a bad white paint job. But it looks good from 20 feet so that's what a race car is all about, huh? Mainly wanted the swap already done so I didn't have to worry about finding parts and making sure it worked.

So getting into this, I'm getting my cage installed by Thompson Racing Fabrication and I need to prep the shell. That means tearing out stuff!

Removed most of interior bits

Worked another day tearing apart the dash and the rest of the head liner and a pillar trim.

More to come!
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

Those seats & steering wheel are worth a little $$$...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Glad to see another Civic in the works. Good luck with the project. If you have any questions about anything let me know, I'm neck deep into building mine.

Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    Those seats & steering wheel are worth a little $$$...
    I paid a bit extra for the car because of the "mods" but I figured I could make some bucks back selling all the pimper stuff. He was all excited when he was showing the interior and I just said, "Eh, that's all gonna get torn out anyway". I am going to weigh everything I took out of the car to give an idea of what I took out and how much weight savings I had as well so that update will come later.

There's a bunch of things that were changed and most was done by young kids so it's more than likely done ghetto or missing. But most of the stuff that needed attention I was going to be tearing apart anyway or removing so I wasn't to worried about it. The brakes suck and can't seem to get solid pedal feel and it's real mushy (re-bled with 2L of fluid and nothing improved). But good thing I'm replacing the brake lines and master anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    Glad to see another Civic in the works. Good luck with the project. If you have any questions about anything let me know, I'm neck deep into building mine.
    What gen are you building? I was looking between an EG and EK. I wanted an EG for integra suspension parts swapping but ended up with the EK since I got a good price on the car with the swap. I just like the EK in looks better since it was my dream car when I started driving to have an EK Civic Type R. I thought about doing an EP build, but the initial cost was too expensive to start. The K series stuff is nice, but you can get similar performance from a B series for a lot less.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Elliot View Post
    What gen are you building? I was looking between an EG and EK. I wanted an EG for integra suspension parts swapping but ended up with the EK since I got a good price on the car with the swap. I just like the EK in looks better since it was my dream car when I started driving to have an EK Civic Type R. I thought about doing an EP build, but the initial cost was too expensive to start. The K series stuff is nice, but you can get similar performance from a B series for a lot less.
    You can use the EG/DC stuff up front--in the back I think the only difference is that the lower control arms is narrower than the EG/DC stuff. If you build a custom lower control arm you can probably use Integra/Civic stuff all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Elliot View Post
    Building an all out EG with an FIA cage, K20, short ratio gear kit, DMS dampers, alloy pedal box, monoblock 4 pot brakes, and the list goes on.

You can use the EG/DC2 Integra suspension up front if you change the subframe. More options out there and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosworth View Post
    Building an all out EG with an FIA cage, K20, short ratio gear kit, DMS dampers, alloy pedal box, monoblock 4 pot brakes, and the list goes on.

You can use the EG/DC2 Integra suspension up front if you change the subframe. More options out there and cheaper.
    Sounds a bit more involved than my eventual B20 w/ M factory close ratio plans. I'm going to try and milk my dual citizenship with H2 class in Honda Challenge while I can. But with that, means I'm limited on engine/trans mods which is good for a "get out of the stages" plan. But I can still swap JDM B16 pistons, type R cams and port/match the first inch on the head and a 10.9:1 CR and use any final drive I want with stock gears and 2250 min weight.

Didn't know that you could change the subframe up front to take integra bits. The only direct swap I knew was the rear trailing arms. I'm getting an EX/Si front brake swap (knuckle/hub/caliper) for free with swap of my CX/DX stuff because my buddy wants to do the wilwood big brake kit so he doesn't need his. Got the rear's from a Del Slow. Have trailing arm/cables/calipers/hub/knuckle w/out rotors for $100 from my buddies friend too.

Again, goal right now is to get out on the stages first and then slowly upgrade/replace parts as I go along. I could get sucked into building a super car, but that's way beyond my budget. I want to make the car drivable/presentable for the West Michigan Honda Meet in July with rally debut for at LSPR for MaxAttack! in October.
    Last edited by Billy Elliot; 07-06-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!

the billion dollar question for (rally) hondas (atmo): what are your plans for suspenders?

//AFAIK, the EG and EK front dampers are pretty much a straight swap - might need to use the forks off an EG with the dampers, but I'm pretty sure they bolt right up. No subframe changes necessary.

92-00 civic suspension is all the same... (At least that I recall. I seem to remember everything being 92-00 when buying stuff years back)

+ Reply to Thread