Special Stage Forums banner

Truth or Fiction?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  granthughes 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Not that there is any relationship to the above speculation, Doug, but I was wondering why it was that SRTUSA is seemingly unable to come up with a replacement open class car for KB for the last couple of events this year. Yeah, running the SP car is a convenient fallback position but you would think that with the time that has elapsed an open car could have been ready if SRTUSA wanted one to be. My thought was that maybe SRTUSA didn't want to invest in another car because maybe they were (a) cutting back to one team; or (b) getting out of US rallying. Now I wonder if a third possiblity could be (c) maybe KB is leaving them.

DISCLAIMER: Purely speculation with no facts to back it up.

#3 ·
Or perhaps, with the championship decided, it wasn't worth building a new car for 3 rallies. I'm sure there will be new car(s) for 2010, just as there have been new cars in each preceding year. That said, an expansion in the number of teams cannot be a bad thing. More good drivers, more good cars - growing the sport.

#4 ·
FWIW, Autosport says it's real. They claim Block is close to a deal to join the World Rally Championship. with a new Ford team of his own. Chris Atkinson would be his team-mate. It would called the Monster Energy Drink World Rally Team--supposedly a three-year deal.
If it happens, they would run part of the series--maybe half--in 2009-spec WRC Ford Focus ; the year after, the whole series. Who knows? ...maybe more news this weekend at LSPR?

#5 ·
--maybe half--in 2009-spec WRC Ford Focus ; the year after, the whole series
I really, REALLY like this idea. Hopefully this would ease the pressure on Block to go balls out like he usually does, knowing that he won't be competing at enough events to do anything significant (relatively speaking). It's amazing if the deal does go through!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.